Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lane conditioning tips

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I bet he was banned because he lied in his profile. He didn't fill out anything or answer any questions. He must have something to hide.
    I never trust anyone who skips filling out their profile.

I have to say that the info from the OP was good information for me regardless of the source since I do deal with the oil patterns. This could have helped a few months ago when I was having issues with our oiler. It's an usual thing to happen but our machine went out of it's mind and was putting several more ML of oil down than it was programmed to do.

We had a rash of out of range calls every day, balls getting stuck in the bottom of the ball lift and under the floor by the ball return. They were saturated with so much oil, the belts and pulleys couldn't grab them. They just kept sitting there slipping. Ball rags were soaked and dripping in two days. On one league I had to sit at a pair of lanes for 2 entire games with the ball return cover off, manually pushing them up on the rack and cleaning all the balls. It was awful.

We ended up having a tech come out with his scientific measuring kit to see what was going on. It ended up needing a lengthy re-calibration. That was the only time I ever had any complaints about the amount of oil on our lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I bet he was banned because he lied in his profile. He didn't fill out anything or answer any questions. He must have something to hide.
    I never trust anyone who skips filling out their profile.
    Ruh Roh! Mine is pretty much blank. LOL Then again, after numerous appearances on America's Most Wanted they still haven't found me. =)
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

What is Bowling?

I’m new to bowling and Ive been curious how the machines work. I’ll ask the owners what condition the lanes are in when I practice. Even as a newer bowler I can tell the difference with a newly prepped lane. If he tells me that ther haven’t been touch for two days since the last league play I’ll know why my ball is reacting the way it is. It’s all great information. There are three houses we go to and two are owned by the same family and I always have good games there. The third is a larger, I’ll call it a corporate house. I always have problems, never see any oil pattern on my ball. Maybe it’s always dry, I don’t know.

For what it's worth, we never go days without touching the lanes. They are done daily, sometimes twice depending on league schedule and traffic. That said, if we have a day where it was extremely slow which happens on rare occasion we may just line and dust. No point oiling if nobody bowled on them. Every center is unique in their practices, I'm glad to be part of one that is diligent. Since our lanes are actual wood, if you aren't diligent then damage can and will happen with neglect costing much more than the conditioner and oil in the long run.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12