Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Six Unbelievable Ways to Raise Your Average

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
    What type of plastic ball do you use? I use an old Columbia white dot most of the time on my Wed league because the last are too dry (and wood) to use reactive. I have a blue hammer urethane and that works some nights. I am left handed and play the 5 board most of the time. I am looking to replace my white dot with a plastic ball that has a little stronger finish.

Thanks,
    Brian in MI
    On many house shots there is virtually no oil outside of the ten board. When someone from an earlier league tells me that “the lanes are dry”, I usually assume that they are really saying that area that they are comfortable playing is toast. I then look to see where the oil is left.
    John

I use a Brunswick T Zone with a 3000 abralon surface. J Anderson is right. There is very, very little oil outside of ten board on a typical house shot. I'm playing around 12 to 13 with plastic, and am normally in to about 15 by the end of three games. If I could use reactive, I would in a heartbeat. Move into the oil and use a reactive ball. Your carry will improve tremendously!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I use a Brunswick T Zone with a 3000 abralon surface. J Anderson is right. There is very, very little oil outside of ten board on a typical house shot. I'm playing around 12 to 13 with plastic, and am normally in to about 15 by the end of three games. If I could use reactive, I would in a heartbeat. Move into the oil and use a reactive ball. Your carry will improve tremendously!
    12-13 at arrows? coming our of the break?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is it with your health that you can throw a plastic ball but not reactive or urethane? I just figured they would all apply the same stresses to your body no matter the cover stock.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    12-13 at arrows? coming our of the break?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is it with your health that you can throw a plastic ball but not reactive or urethane? I just figured they would all apply the same stresses to your body no matter the cover stock.
    My guess would be his ball speed, not enough speed and reactive and even urethane will hook way too early.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    My guess would be his ball speed, not enough speed and reactive and even urethane will hook way too early.
    Makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    I have degenerative bone disease throughout the entire length of my spine as well as arthritis in all of my joints. I have had neck surgery to fuse C5 and C6, but there is nothing that can be done for my lower back: Orthopedic Surgeon, upon looking at my MRI, "Sorry, dude, but I could cut you nine times and never fix you, your back is so screw up!" My ball speed is 9-10 mph on the monitor, but I do have a decent rev rate and axis rotation. I can throw a plastic ball from 12 at the arrows, out to 6 or 7 at the far tracer and get the ball back to the pocket.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

When I quit in 2002 there was a different PSO at our center. He is no longer a PSO but still bowls in our league and we bowled against his team Tuesday night. He still remembers me from way back but anyway quite a few people had mentioned how dry the lanes were. Me targeting the first arrow it didn't affect me. So we were both up to bowl and he says to me that he wishes he had more speed. I told him he could have some of mine...lol. He said he noticed how fast I throw. Told him I have tried to slow it down but haven't been able to. His comment was that I 'need that speed tonight' (Tuesday night).
    But I have 2 bulging disks in my lower back and impingement, bursitis, and bone spurs in my shoulder. I also had torn tendons in my elbow (upper epicondalitis) that I had surgery on in 2002, which is why I quit bowling. So far these haven't been an issue but at 49 I'm sure these issues will get worse. I think slowing down now may help my body last longer. I slowed my approach but my timing is so bad then it just makes it hard to get used to. I feel like I'm crawling to the line. We pulled a sub in and are getting his games in so I am sitting out next week. I might go down to practice and work on slowing down. It's very hard for me to throw inside the 10 board with my speed and low revs. The ball pretty much goes straight.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

My bone issues first reared their ugly heads when I was in my mid thirties. I was playing softball four nights a week and finally decided to hang up my spikes when my thought every time I came up to bat was "I really hope I don't have to slide 'cause it's really going to hurt!" After quitting softball, I was approached by someone on the company bowling team who said that one of their members had quit, and would I like to learn to bowl. That's how i got my start 35 years ago!

The most important thing for me in terms of both my comfort when I bowl and my success each outing is keeping the thought "smooth" for every shot I throw.

Rob that's a great story. So you got your start in bowling pretty late in life. Interesting!
    One of my problems is that I started when I was 8 or 9 years old and was bowling in a kids league at 9 or 10 each Saturday morning at a place about 10 miles from our house. No coaches and no training. Some of the things I learned early on have evidently stuck with me to this day and hinder my ability to do things in a better way. Oh well.
    On to softball though. What game did you play and what position? Fast pitch or slow pitch? I got into playing softball while I was in the Navy down in Florida. Was stationed up at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the late sixties and used to watch the leagues there and I was amazed at the fast pitch pitchers speed and accuracy. A few months after leaving there and going to Florida I was playing that game with my work mates and loved it. My batting average was pretty darn good in fast pitch, but never learned how to hit slow pitch well at all. I guess you were supposed to more or less catch the ball with your bat and hit it where you wanted to. Never got the knack. Thanks for bringing back old memories for me...

I played first base in a slow pitch league. My last season I was playing four nights a week, with the main night being our company team. My final season I was the playing manager, and our team went 10-0. I batted 400 for the simple reason that I am so slow that I had to get a double to get to first base. The sad thing about softball is that, like hardball, the worst fielder is always put in right field. All I had to do was to learn to hit to right with the ball spinning like crazy toward the foul line, and and could get on base at will.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast