Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New pins

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Or just let me have a fair chance. Many things can't be changed. Just try your best to make things equal.

Pin Crusher

Back to Granny's question. They could have mixed in 8 pins on all 5 pairs. A set of pins is 20 I think so 40 divided by 5 is 8.

I’d just be happy if they could bother to announce when there’s a change to the pattern. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Having read the posts on this thread, I think it would be a good idea to create a Modern League Bowler's Credo and send it to the USBC for consideration. I think it should go something like this:

I, as a modern league bowler believe that:

1. I deserve fresh oil every time I bowl.
    2. I deserve to have every lane be identical to every other lane.
    3. I deserve to have the exact same lane condition every week.
    4. I deserve to have a lane condition that allows me to strike when I miss by at least three boards.
    5. I deserve to win every pot or bracket that I decide to enter.
    6. I deserve to use a bowling ball that hooks all by itself.
    7. I deserve to average at least 30 pins higher than the level of my true ability.

What's happened to us?
    I don't think the league thought they deserve all of this, but the "appearance" that there was an unfair advantage/disadvantage going on. As Bowl said the opponents were bowling on the same condition/same pins - BUT, all individuals and teams were/are competing for high game, high series, high average. In that perception, one would think that all of the playing field would be as near possible to being the same. We as bowlers, should always understand that typography, weather, and other play will change that playing field but the expectation that you "start" with the identical would not be unquestionable.

Personally, I could have cared less....new pins usually don't get good carry until they have a few games on them anyway, so I'm sort of glad it wasn't our pair. It's just as an officer of the league, you are always questioned about issues that don't amount to much to one person, but can send another into a giant tizzy fit. Just looking for opinions for future reference.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I don't think the league thought they deserve all of this, but the "appearance" that there was an unfair advantage/disadvantage going on. As Bowl said the opponents were bowling on the same condition/same pins - BUT, all individuals and teams were/are competing for high game, high series, high average. In that perception, one would think that all of the playing field would be as near possible to being the same. We as bowlers, should always understand that typography, weather, and other play will change that playing field but the expectation that you "start" with the identical would not be unquestionable.
    The thing about bowling is the length of the winter season. I understand that bowlers are competing against each other for high average, high game, etc. When you factor in all of the variables, every bowler in the league is going to have a few weeks where conditions are less than ideal. That why we talk about an "average." As to the suggestion below that the new pins be divided among all of the lanes, that's a great idea except for one thing; who's going to pay for it. If someone has to go through the pins on each lane, they need to be paid to do so. Most bowling centers are hanging on by a thread anyway. So they pay someone to do it, and next year everyone complains that lineage has gone up. It's just bowling!

Pin Crusher

If your lane man can't change out 8 pins on 10 lanes in an hour maybe that is why your center is going under. He should be doing normal maintenance every day anyway. Cheap place should have bought 10 sets of pins rather than just 4 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    If your lane man can't change out 8 pins on 10 lanes in an hour maybe that is why your center is going under. He should be doing normal maintenance every day anyway. Cheap place should have bought 10 sets of pins rather than just 4 anyway.
    Keep this attitude toward bowling centers, and before you know it, there won't be any bowling centers to complain about!

Pin Crusher

Our 24 lane center replaces all the pins every other year.

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I'm sure they probably bought enough pins to do all 40 lanes, but the lane guy probably only got those lanes done, plus a few we don't bowl on. Next week we will probably all be bowling with new pins, so as I said....not much ado about anything earth shattering; except to some people.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12