Thread: Coming back to the Boards

Default Coming back to the Boards

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here, but it’s been a difficult year for me.

My throwing shoulder had reduced my bowling scores into the low 190’s, though I did manage to have a high average in a Senior league at 198. But, I was in so much pain and inconsistent, it’s been a nightmare.

It started to get worse just before the Senior Masters started in June, and I was so keyed up for this event. It was so bad, that I couldn’t hardly swing the ball, couldn’t create much rotation and had no power to speak of. To top it off only broke 200 once in 15 games of qualifying.

If it wasn’t for the fact that there were a few withdrawals and a couple of people that bowled worse than me, I would have been dead last. If I was smart I should have withdrawn. But no matter how bad it was, there was no way I was going to quit.

The entire summer was a disappointing one and for me to break 600 was the exception, not the rule.

It was just after the Senior Masters when I went to my ortho to see exactly what was going on, and it was worse than I even expected.

Images showed that I had a cyst, a major bone spur, calcific tendinitis, major loss of cartilage and severe arthritis, and while I was hoping that scoping the shoulder would fix it, the images said that wasn’t gonna happen. The ONLY solution was to have it replaced.

While I was certainly glad to be getting a new shoulder, my first concern was how long it would be before I could bowl again.

My ortho said he wanted me to start bowling again within 6 weeks of the surgery.

Hell, my first thought was 6 months! But when he said 6 weeks I was shocked!

FINALLY, on November 6th I got my new shoulder, and what a difference already! Except for the expected post-op pain, I have not had ANY pain! Zero! Zip! Nada!

I’m doing my PT 7 days/week and I already feel my strength and range of motion coming back. While I’m not ready to throw the rocks just yet, the target date is December 17 which happens to be the day I go see him again.

My return to league play is slated for January 2nd, and for tournaments it’s January 12th.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Wow, good luck with the new shoulder. I'm sure you'll be back to your old self in no time. Most important thing is being pain free.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Glad to hear your recovery is going well!
    John

Chats: 0

Glad to see the recovery is going wel. Welcome back

Chats: 4

I was wondering what had happened to you hadn't seen you
    on here for quite some time glad to hear all is going well for
    you maybe you'll be throwing those 600+ series pretty soon.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 32

Wow nice. It's been my experience if it's bad enough to need replaced your probably in more pain before the surgery than you are afterward.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone