Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should League By-Laws Be Announced at the Beginning?

Chats: 32

Every league here is different, Between the rules for pre/post bowling, handicap, and playoff format. It always amazes me how little time people spend studying the rules before they join a league(not saying that's your case). One league I bowl in only allows pre bowling the week before you miss as a team (very hard) others you can walk in any time before or after.
    Rules are usually given out at the first league night but I'd Say less than 10% are ever read.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Every league here is different, Between the rules for pre/post bowling, handicap, and playoff format. It always amazes me how little time people spend studying the rules before they join a league(not saying that's your case). One league I bowl in only allows pre bowling the week before you miss as a team (very hard) others you can walk in any time before or after.
    Rules are usually given out at the first league night but I'd Say less than 10% are ever read.
    I guess I assumed that with the “official associations” like USBC etc, there was a standard set of rules for all bowling leagues. One wouldn’t expect house rules at every single league.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I'm in my 2nd year as secretary on my Weds Night League and we always have a league meeting a week before season starts where I go through the by-laws line by line and we also vote on any new rules or changes. I also email the rules out to everyone on the league.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I guess I assumed that with the “official associations” like USBC etc, there was a standard set of rules for all bowling leagues. One wouldn’t expect house rules at every single league.
    USBC provides a basic framework of rules. Some USBC rules can be supplanted by the local league, like choosing to bowl four games instead of only three. Other rules are more rigid. For example a league can not ban pre-bowling, but it can set limits how and when it can be done.

Most leagues, even non certified leagues, have similar rules, since even those non USBC leagues have had some exposure to the USBC guidelines.
    John

Chats: 32

It's a popular misconception. Think of it more like this USBC tells you what you can/can't do but doesn't effect how very much. Much more is up to the league than up to the USBC.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

One of the biggest problems is that many league bowlers choose not to attend the meeting. A few years ago, I was the Vice President of an almost-scratch Doubles League. As the President was recovering from surgery, I was asked to run the league meeting. The league had been observing a two lane courtesy which I personally think is ridiculous in a league setting. There was nothing in the rules about it, so I decided to bring it up for discussion. I became quickly apparent that a great majority of the bowlers favored a one lane courtesy, so someone made a motion to include a one lane courtesy in the league rules. It passed with only one opposing vote.

Two weeks into the league, a bowler to my left with one open lane between us was on the approach when I stepped up to bowl. He stepped back and proceeded to slam his ball down on the ball return (he was a well-known hot head). After the frame I approached him and reminded him of the one lane courtesy that was passed at the initial meeting. He told me that he had not attended the meeting. I guess he should have!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

In response to the comment about league bowlers choosing not to attend meetings I will defend the reasoning for why I typically avoid the things anymore. In recent years I have found these meetings to be far to long for what is being discussed and decided on. In larger leagues it tends to be a trend that you get a sect of 6 people who want a rule changed for whatever reason and they will fight and argue their point - without listening to others for excessive amounts of time; I'm all for people having their argument heard but when it comes to listening to the same 2 line argument repeated over and over it isn't worth my night. Inevitably when USBC raises the sanction fee by $1 there will be another 30 minute dialogue about how USBC doesn't do anything for us and this is just lining their pockets (etc. etc. etc.). After sitting in league meetings for over 4 hours to essentially get back to the rules being expressed as they were last year (exceptions of sanction fee, a potential lineage fee change) I decided that it really doesn't do much - the rules sheet gets passed out week 1 of bowling and I review then.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

A traffic judge told me ignorance of the law is no excuse. Every bowler should be notified when the organizational meeting is being held. Every team should get a copy of the bylaws the 1st night. Our league only lets teams pre or post bowl no individual.

And... it happened again. Apparently, my other league on Thursdays has a 20-pin absentee penalty, rather than 10, like every other league I’ve ever been in.

Want to know why bowling is so unpopular? It’s because of obscure ‘house rules’ like this.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

And... it happened again. Apparently, my other league on Thursdays has a 20-pin absentee penalty, rather than 10, like every other league I’ve ever been in.

Want to know why bowling is so unpopular? It’s because of obscure ‘house rules’ like this.
    It's not a obscure rule since virtually all leagues have a absentee penalty and 20 pins isn't unheard of

It wouldn't be a "house rule" it's a "league rule" and this is why reading the leagues rules is important, Because Not all leagues have exactly the same rules.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast