Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should League By-Laws Be Announced at the Beginning?

Default Should League By-Laws Be Announced at the Beginning?

I'd like to know what the custom is for this. In my Sunday "Couples" league, there is apparently a by-law that nobody can pre-bowl for the week unless the "couple" prebowls together. Of course, this was not announced or known to anyone new to the league.

So, come to today, and our babysitter was out sick. My gf prebowls during the day, and posts a pretty good score. We lose game 1 anyway (fair enough), then win game 2 by a few pins. Now the other team comes over and says "you know you can't use her scores, because you have to prebowl as a couple, right"? No. I ****ing didn't.

So now I'm rather pissed off, and bowl my butt off in Game 3. We win by a lot, but lose the "total pins" Game 4.

I'd just like to know when these little rules are supposed to be announced. We had a sub sitting there available, but apparently, they just forgot to mention it during games 1 and 2.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I'd like to know what the custom is for this. In my Sunday "Couples" league, there is apparently a by-law that nobody can pre-bowl for the week unless the "couple" prebowls together. Of course, this was not announced or known to anyone new to the league.

So, come to today, and our babysitter was out sick. My gf prebowls during the day, and posts a pretty good score. We lose game 1 anyway (fair enough), then win game 2 by a few pins. Now the other team comes over and says "you know you can't use her scores, because you have to prebowl as a couple, right"? No. I ****ing didn't.

So now I'm rather pissed off, and bowl my butt off in Game 3. We win by a lot, but lose the "total pins" Game 4.

I'd just like to know when these little rules are supposed to be announced. We had a sub sitting there available, but apparently, they just forgot to mention it during games 1 and 2.
    Should League By-Laws Be Announced at the Beginning? They are in virtually every league.

League rules are established at a league organizational meeting which happens at the start of the league season. After being established every team is supposed to be given a copy. (which unfortunately anymore they promptly throw in the bottom of their bag without reading it and forget about it until a problem arises. Not saying you did this!!)

If you came in after the start of the league, you should have been given a copy of the league rules (or asked for one if none was offered).
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-25-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Tried to see what the USBC rule book had to say: in a managed league, the rules must be distributed before the season starts. In a regular league it only specifies that the rules be distributed by the league secretary, but doesn’t say when.
    John

I wasn’t notified of any such meeting, and never received a rule sheet until I demanded one tonight.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I wasn’t notified of any such meeting, and never received a rule sheet until I demanded one tonight.
    At most houses league start date and organizational meeting dates and times are listed on the signup sheets, flyers etc at least a month or so before they start. if you didn't see it ask.

As for not getting a rule sheet until now, you should have asked sooner like the night you first bowled.

If you are joining a new league, you should ask questions at the very start if you don't know something.

Like pre-bowling if you don't know what the leagues rules are regarding it, you should have asked the Secretary before doing it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Over the past 35 years I've bowled in dozens of leagues in four different states. In every single case, there is a league meeting before the first date of bowling. Where you may have run into a problem is where occasionally the meeting is held on a different date; usually one week before the league actually starts bowling.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Over the past 35 years I've bowled in dozens of leagues in four different states. In every single case, there is a league meeting before the first date of bowling. Where you may have run into a problem is where occasionally the meeting is held on a different date; usually one week before the league actually starts bowling.
    That's the way it is here the meeting is typically the week before, their too long to have the same night as bowling. Now in the summer theres ones that have a short meeting the same night you start bowling.

Welp, I won’t make that mistake again.

Apparently, you have to request an invite to these meetings, because I certainly wasn’t informed of it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welp, I won’t make that mistake again.

Apparently, you have to request an invite to these meetings, because I certainly wasn’t informed of it.
    A lot of houses don't send out notices of league meetings, start dates etc, Unless you bowled on that league before and have your name on file or signed up in the sign up book (even then they might not) and if your new and don't ask they'll just assume you know already.

You Don't have to request an invite, You just have to do your do diligence and find out the dates and times before the season starts loike everyone else does by asking at the lanes. Especially if it's a league you never been on before and don't know anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    A lot of houses don't send out notices of league meetings, start dates etc, Unless you bowled on that league before and have your name on file or signed up in the sign up book (even then they might not) and if your new and don't ask they'll just assume you know already.

You Don't have to request an invite, You just have to do your do diligence and find out the dates and times before the season starts loike everyone else does by asking at the lanes. Especially if it's a league you never been on before and don't know anything about.
    Guess so. So if you're new to league bowling, and don't know to ask about a meeting, or any special house rules, then just toss out your first year's dues. That's good to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast