Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should League By-Laws Be Announced at the Beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    It's not a obscure rule since virtually all leagues have a absentee penalty and 20 pins isn't unheard of

It wouldn't be a "house rule" it's a "league rule" and this is why reading the leagues rules is important, Because Not all leagues have exactly the same rules.
    I hear what you’re saying, and I know now to demand a set of rules at the beginning. However, I’m telling you, most people do not have that kind of patience for this.

Name another sport or game in which the rules vary so widely in every single instance. Let alone one played for money.

A lot of bowlers here don't seem to understand what the function of the USBC is. The USBC lays out the ground rules for the game. They dictate what must be done if a bowler bowls on the wrong lane, for instance. They dictate the general requirements for bowling balls, as well as what can be used to clean the ball during competition and other such rules. They do not, nor should they create rules for individual leagues. Leagues decide their own prize funds, their own policies on pre-bowls and make-ups, their own policies on substitutes, handicaps, roster changes, late payments, absentee scores, and just about everything else about the week-to-week functioning of the league.

While I agree that many, many league meetings are a giant pain in the butt with the same issues being rehashed as nauseam, it is non-the-less your responsibility to make sure that you attend the league meeting, are aware of all of the league policies and rules, and give your input to make your feelings known. If you don't attend the meeting, or a least make sure that you get a copy of the league rules, you have absolutely no right to complain!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Our summer league had a 20 penalty for an absentee bowler but my winter league is 30 pins. Same house. All up to the league. With a 30 pin penalty better have a sub lined up....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Rob, what are the rules on bowling in the wrong lane? In our summer league this past summer I bowled the 10th frame in the wrong lane (and got 3 strikes...lol). After I saw the scores didn't add up I realized what I had done. I asked the opponents what they wanted me to do and they said just go with it. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game either way. Never thought about a rule on it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Rob, what are the rules on bowling in the wrong lane? In our summer league this past summer I bowled the 10th frame in the wrong lane (and got 3 strikes...lol). After I saw the scores didn't add up I realized what I had done. I asked the opponents what they wanted me to do and they said just go with it. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game either way. Never thought about a rule on it.
    USBC Rulebook

Rule 8 – Dead Ball
    When a dead ball is called, the delivery does not count and the correct pins must be respotted. The player is allowed to rebowl that delivery.
    A ball shall be declared dead if any of the following occur:

d. A player bowls on the wrong lane or out of turn, or one player from each team on the pair of lanes
    bowls on the wrong lane. (See Rule 9.)

Rule 9 – Bowling on the Wrong Lane
    In league or tournament play, a dead ball shall be called and the player or players required to rebowl on the correct lane when:
    a. One player bowls on the wrong lane.
    b. One player from each team on the pair of lanes bowls on the wrong lane.
    If more than one player on the same team bowls on the wrong lane in turn, all deliveries stand as
    bowled. Upon discovery, bowlers shall complete subsequent frames on the correct lanes.
    If a player bowls on the wrong lane in a singles tournament where a change of lanes is made, a
    tournament may by rule require the delivery to stand and the player to finish the frame on the incorrect
    lane when a strike is not recorded. When a strike is made, a dead ball shall be called and the player
    required to re-bowl on the correct lane.
    In singles match-play competition, where a player normally bowls two frames each time it is the
    player’s turn to bowl, the foregoing shall also apply provided the error was discovered before the
    opposing player has made a delivery. Otherwise, the score stands as bowled, with all subsequent
    frames in the game bowled on the correct lanes.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-30-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123