Thread: Decade Layoff, Back in the Game & Need Help (Video Included)

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Decade Layoff, Back in the Game & Need Help (Video Included)

My Story
    I bowled 5x a week from the age of 12-17, participating in tournaments all over the country. Was a solid junior bowler until the age of 15 when I connected with my then coach who introduced me to many of the aspects of the modern game Mo Pinel teaches in his manual "See It, Feel It..." (from then Morich). My final 18 months in the sport I improved exponentially with averages on house shots in the 205-210 range (highest was 223), 190 average in sport shot league, a pair of sanctioned 300 games and a few junior titles.

After moving away to college and then to work in a metropolitan area, I sadly gave up on the sport. Two months ago I committed to returning to the sport and have practiced about 10 times since. What I have lost in terms of muscle memory, I have more than made up for in terms of physical tools (much stronger and more flexible) and have been encouraged by the early results.

Stats
    Right Handed
    Med-High Revs
    16.5-17 mph

Videos

Current Equipment

Hammer Phobia - Pin Up (15lbs, in video above)
    Hammer Black Widow Urethane - Pin Up (14 lbs)
    ABS Tour Ultra Shoes

Questions
    1) What are the best Youtube, Books, Blogs to follow for advanced bowling info?

2) How has the equipment evolved/improved in the past decade?

3) What should my next purchases of equipment be and what type of layouts should I experiment with?

4) Any feedback on my technique...Three areas of focus for me are: 1) Straightening my follow through so I don't cross my body, 2) Smoother release onto lane & 3) Adaptability of axis rotation/speed to be able to play all varities of patterns.

Summary
    Obviously late for many of the winter leagues but I intend to compete in tournaments in the NYC area, sub in for leagues and practice 2-3x per week. If you are in the area and would like to meet up, I'm always looking for practice buddies : )

Thank you all for reading thus far, I appreciate any help in advance. I am glad to be getting back into this beautiful game and will keep you posted on my progress.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by tmcg View Post
    My Story
    I bowled 5x a week from the age of 12-17, participating in tournaments all over the country. Was a solid junior bowler until the age of 15 when I connected with my then coach who introduced me to many of the aspects of the modern game Mo Pinel teaches in his manual "See It, Feel It..." (from then Morich). My final 18 months in the sport I improved exponentially with averages on house shots in the 205-210 range (highest was 223), 190 average in sport shot league, a pair of sanctioned 300 games and a few junior titles.

After moving away to college and then to work in a metropolitan area, I sadly gave up on the sport. Two months ago I committed to returning to the sport and have practiced about 10 times since. What I have lost in terms of muscle memory, I have more than made up for in terms of physical tools (much stronger and more flexible) and have been encouraged by the early results.

Stats
    Right Handed
    Med-High Revs
    16.5-17 mph

Videos

Current Equipment

Hammer Phobia - Pin Up (15lbs, in video above)
    Hammer Black Widow Urethane - Pin Up (14 lbs)
    ABS Tour Ultra Shoes

Questions

3) What should my next purchases of equipment be and what type of layouts should I experiment with?

4) Any feedback on my technique...Three areas of focus for me are: 1) Straightening my follow through so I don't cross my body, 2) Smoother release onto lane & 3) Adaptability of axis rotation/speed to be able to play all varities of patterns.

Summary
    Obviously late for many of the winter leagues but I intend to compete in tournaments in the NYC area, sub in for leagues and practice 2-3x per week. If you are in the area and would like to meet up, I'm always looking for practice buddies : )

Thank you all for reading thus far, I appreciate any help in advance. I am glad to be getting back into this beautiful game and will keep you posted on my progress.
    1. Bowling This Month is an excellent source of articles on technique, training, mental game, as well as ball reviews.
    2. There seems to be a revival of interest in urethane and urethane-like balls.
    3. Even the best PSO can’t suggest a ball for you on the basis of looking at one delivery and without knowing what conditions you will be bowling on.
    4. Without being able to slow down the video, your technique looks pretty darn good.
    With regard to your concerns:
    1. Follow through is always a symptom, not a cause. Many pros are successful with “ non-textbook” follow throughs. Unless you find yourself tugging the ball, Don’t worry too much about it.
    2. A smooth release is dependant on good timing, a grip that fits right, and a good knee bend. I’m guessing that your current equipment is new and fits properly. If you have any doubts about the fit, get a second opinion.
    3. This is where you need a good local coach to work with.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by tmcg View Post

By far the best resource for bowling technique and technical information is Bowling This Month. Of course my opinion is quite biased since I wrote nearly 100 articles for them over the past 11 years.

Stronger, stronger, stronger! Of course, now that the USBC Rules have changed, all previous bets are off.

Again, with the new rules, at this point it's really anyone's best guess. Find a PSO that you trust and go with his/her recommendations, at least initially. As far as layouts go, I am a firm believer in few is better. Refer to the BTM article that I wrote entitled The Case for Limited Layouts to understand why.

From what I could see from the one view in the video, I believe that your technique is excellent for the modern game. Try to include a side view at some point. As far as your follow through goes, check out videos of Michael Fagan and Diana Zavrolva (sp?), and you'll see that the follow through going left is quite common. I've talked to Fagan about it and he believes that it is really an optical illusion based on the angle of the body as it projects the ball to the right versus the actual direction of the arm swing.
    Good Luck and welcome back!
    Last edited by RobLV1; 11-26-2018 at 03:00 PM.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Thanks for the replies guys I will definitely be following up on all of your advice. I uploaded a few more videos in slow motion including a side view and rear view: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YyzCEWI_kODkn5