Thread: Ball type during transition in league

Chats: 0

Default Ball type during transition in league

During league on THS, what ball type is good during the transition phase? A skid flip ball like a mid/upper-level pearl? Or, a smooth reaction like a mid-level solid? I looking for a ball to replace my Storm Crux Peart(has a weight hole) and my Timeless (does not react as it used to). My Storm Punch Out still has the good backend, but the core is weak. It is still a good ball on medium to dry lanes.

Transition is not always the same. It is affected both by weather conditions as well as the individuals who are bowling on the pair. Transitions may include oil absorption, the exposure of fresh topography as oil is removed from the lane, and carry down. It is much more important to learn to watch the lanes as they change and to adapt to the actual change than to try to find the magic ball for transition... it doesn't exist.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    During league on THS, what ball type is good during the transition phase? A skid flip ball like a mid/upper-level pearl? Or, a smooth reaction like a mid-level solid? I looking for a ball to replace my Storm Crux Peart(has a weight hole) and my Timeless (does not react as it used to). My Storm Punch Out still has the good backend, but the core is weak. It is still a good ball on medium to dry lanes.
    Going on the assumption that your arsenal is the Crux Pearl, Timeless, and Punch Out my comment is not really centered around transition, but rather arsenal composition. What I'm seeing is that you have three pearl balls, you may want to consider taking some surface to one of those pieces or getting something that is not pearlized. Being able to handle transition is more about having options (hand positions and equipment) than having one magical piece that you simply step down/up to. Typically if you have a lot of traffic around the track in a house league you could make two adjustments - move to a pearl ball that goes longer down the lane and retains energy or you could move inside (when moving inside you may find that you need a ball with backend pop to get the corners out or you may find that the oil is still very fresh in that part of the lane and need something that will read earlier).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Right now the Crux Pearl is filling the role as my transition ball. However, it needs to be replaced. I was thinking of the Storm Intense or Soniq. As far as the Timeless replacement, I’m considering the Roto Grip Winner Solid (2000 grit).

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Without seeing or knowing how you bowl I like the idea of adding the winner solid, from what I'm seeing it looks to be a pretty good benchmark ball option. It also adds some surface to your arsenal so you theoretically should have some more options when the lanes transition. Something I would recommend doing is in one of your practice sessions take either the Timeless or Crux Pearl (once you have a replacement piece) and throw some shots while it is still shiny; then get a few abralon pads and scuff the ball up (removing the polish) and see how the ball reacts differently. This would be good in helping to understand the effect of surface changes.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 256

Agree with ALazySavage. If you decide to get a new piece to add, use the Timeless or Crux Pearl to see what they do with some surface on them. Personally I would take the Timeless and take shine off to about a 2000 grit since that ball is a Hybrid that has 2 parts Pearl and 1 parts Solid for it's cover stock.

Winner Solid hasn't wowed me yet. Have used it for a few games in league, but haven't been able to get a good practice session in with it to really get to know it like I do with my other equipment. From my first impressions though, the ball isn't like my other "benchmark" type balls. As long as I have kept it in the oil, the ball won't roll out. Seems when I do squirt right to the friction too early it burns up energy faster than I have seen with other balls.

Roto Grip HayWire was my last benchmark ball and I have yet to find one that matches up to it yet.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I ready tried surface on the Timeless. I’ve tried 2000 and 3000 and did not get a favorable motion. It is just dead. I thought about getting the oil out either myself or the PSO, but I think I’ll just replace it with the Winner Solid to add a solid to my arsenal. Then perhaps the Storm Intense or Soniq to replace the Crux Pearl. The Crux Pearl has a weight hole so it needs to be plugged or replaced anyhow.

Ringer
    Blog Entries

Remember that you are allowed to have a weight hole in your equipment until August 1, 2020 - so replacement/corrective action is not really a requirement in the short term.