Thread: Too much ball

Default Too much ball

Have you made a ball purchase only to discover it was too much ball to handle? Just curious.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Not personally, but I have seen people buyperfectly good balls and either give them away or exile them to the basement because after trying use them for a couple frames in warm-ups the bowler could not keep the ball on the correctside of the head pin without moving out ofhis comfort zone.
    John

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Not really, you can always adjust the surface of a ball to work best for you. Like I bought a Radical Cash and I couldn't get the thing to hook and it was rated the ball with the most hook ever at the time. It was such a such a strong ball, it was burning up and losing all its energy, once I shined it up with about 3000 grit, it was a much better ball for me.

I bought the Storm Soniq and had it drilled as aggressively as possible. Wrong move. It is skid/flip on steroids and completely unusable for my style. It makes the most violent left turn I have ever seen a ball do. Not my cup of tea. A complete waste of money.

I prefer the low performance Hammer Vibe balls, as the give a very predictable hook and reaction.

Chats: 256

Yep, surface manipulation is what I work on in practice when I get a new piece of equipment. Try to mimic the same conditions as league and try varying surfaces to see what the ball will do and which surface matches up to me and also the lanes.

Haven't had a ball yet that I couldn't get to work for me.

Hooks too early or rolls out as it burned up all energy? Bring surface up or put some shine on it to get it through mid lane to store up some energy.

Hooks too late? Add a lower surface to it, my favorite is 2000 grit.

I only use Tru-Cut surface pads.
    Last edited by vdubtx; 12-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 1

For me the Radical Katana was too flippy for me. I finally removed the polish, and sanded the ball to 5000 grit. It smoothed out the breakpoint, and gave me much better control.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums