Thread: Brunswick BTU Pearl?

Chats: 0

Question Brunswick BTU Pearl?

I bowl on wood lanes that are most of the time are on the dry side. I have found that reactive and even my blue hammer urethane snap to hard on the back end. I have been using my Columbia white dot with much success. I am a lefty and my favorite line is right down the five board which works great for the plastic ball. The down side is the carry can be a little shaky.
    i am looking into the BTU pearl for more carry with the same type of reaction as the plastic. Thanks for any advice.

Brian in Mi

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Lancer, this is somewhat tricky of a situation to address - so I'm going to unpack it the way I'm reading it and then advise (that way if I have some information wrong you can correct me).

You are bowling on dry, wood lanes (which I would expect to cause early roll rather than too much late reaction), throwing plastic and/or urethane (plastic would create a lot of late reaction, but urethane would typically cause early reaction), and you are lefty wanting to play up the 5 board.

I'm assuming that the carry-down reaction causing your issues are later in the block so you would be getting the benefit of the good reaction with plastic early and issues later in the block. Which would advise that you move left after the carry down and try to get around the carry down spot.

In regards to other equipment, you are really not going to get anything that reacts similarly to plastic - unless you purchase more plastic. What I'm missing is what the end goal of this is - are you trying to find a ball change that allows you to stay up 5 after you have the carry down issues? From the limited information my honest advice is that you are going to have to move when you get the carry down issues, by using plastic at the start on this line you don't have a step-down option. The other thing that leads me to this is that you are throwing urethane up 5 and it is reacting too hard on the backend (typically urethane is a very arc-centric reaction and I wouldn't expect backend reaction, especially on wood lanes), it just sounds as if you are going to throw anything other than plastic you are playing the wrong part of the lane.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Thinking about this I guess you could try and drill up a Black Widow Spare with a strong, early rolling layout - I just don't know what you are really going to get out of that, but it would roll up earlier and may burn some energy off in the fronts. I just can't really think of options that you could play with if both urethane and plastic are reacting late - any step up from the plastic will have too much backend and I can't see how anything else wouldn't be too strong.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 32

If it's like the wood house I bowl in anything outside of 10 is not going to work. I've bowled there for years and seen one player regularly play that line with some success out of 100 trying. My suggestion is find an equipment/style combo that lets you move into the oil. Trying to play where you want vs where the lanes want to be played rarely works.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Last night I used my Blue Hammer urethane right up 5 for a 639. Only used the plastic for 7 pins. I thank you for the replies and agree with
    Al there maybe some nights I have to "make the move" and move my feet and target. It all comes back to wanting to stay in the "comfort zone"! So I may hold off on a new ball for now.

Thanks,

Brian

Al,

Thanks for the reply! I had my urethane resurfaced a few weeks ago and have used it the last month. I have done well the first games the last two weeks in my first game 244 and 246. It seems to start changing about halfway thru the second. It starts coming in a little to deep. I move a little right and it helps. I have been in the 600's and high 500's. The last two weeks I used plastic to finish the last game and it held a little better. Not sure at this point in time if I will look to get another ball.

Thanks,
    Brian

High Roller

Sounds similar to what I went through last week. Used my new Radical Conspiracy and the first game was awesome with a 227. Being the usual stubborn me I refused to switch balls and kept adjusting until the start of the 3rd game then switched to my Kingpin. It was a little better but finished with 155 and 156. Had 7 strikes in game 1 and 5 the rest of the night. I probably should have switched to the Kingpin in game 2 then maybe my Rhino in the 3rd game. Lesson learned. I was so excited about using the new ball I was willing to give up better scores apparently....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

That is me too Boatman! Us lefties must all be bullheaded!