Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Bowling - Too Early for Second Ball?

With how new I am to the game I would think even a mediocre coach would be able to help me improve dramatically. I am just a little concerned that if a coach or two doesn't seem to be a good match for me then I run out of options pretty quickly. It's going to be a try and see what happens situation as the players I have talked with haven't been able to recommend a coach. I will keep asking though. Even if I get no recommendations I think I will be able to get something from lessons with most any coach at the Bronze level or above.

The Legend on Bowl.com goes from Level I to Bronze but there is at least one coach in my area listed as Level II but I see no explanation for that level. I though it was just a typo until I expanded my search to a much larger area and found some other coaches listed as Level II. Any ideas what is the difference between Level I and Level II?

Sure, I can always buy more balls. Compared to the number of weapons of destruction for golf (14 clubs per bag and multiple bags) bowling balls are cheap. That doesn't mean I am going to rush out and buy another one. My primary goal with the demo is to spend time with my father while doing something we both enjoy, secondary is to see if a lighter ball puts less stress on my body without me overpowering the ball. Last is to see how a ball with more hook works for my undeveloped game. Just curiosity. If I for some reason end up buying a new ball no big worries if it gets discarded after my game develops.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Originally Level I was meant for beginner youth coach and Level II was for beginner adult, they decided that Level I should be able to coach all ages and they removed Level II and let people become bronze coaches instead.

I would recommend trying to get at least a bronze coach. The USBC level I and II material is pretty basic.

A lighter ball will certainly lower the wear and tear on the arm, after several arm surgeries unrelated to bowling I dropped from 15 to 14 lb a couple of years ago.
    I gained a little ball speed and maybe a few more revs and reduced the strain on my arm considerably. Along with that my average has increased about 20 pins and I've been very happy with the decision.
    Try and find a bronze or higher level coach, if the cost isn't much higher and you find a silver or gold coach give them a try, in my area we are fortunate to have a gold coach and the small extra cost is paid back quickly with his ability to help your game.

I've been wanting to get lessons as well but have had a hard time finding a coach. Found one that I thought would work but he ghosted me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Try and find a bronze or higher level coach, if the cost isn't much higher and you find a silver or gold coach give them a try, in my area we are fortunate to have a gold coach and the small extra cost is paid back quickly with his ability to help your game.
    I really don't have a Bronze level coach in my immediate area so I am thinking I will try at least one, of the two total, Silver level coaches. There is a third Silver Coach but the details given seem to be a dead end. With living near a top 5 city, population wise, I thought there might be more options.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    I really don't have a Bronze level coach in my immediate area so I am thinking I will try at least one, of the two total, Silver level coaches. There is a third Silver Coach but the details given seem to be a dead end. With living near a top 5 city, population wise, I thought there might be more options.

Not all the coaches put their information on the Bowl.com website, where do you live, maybe someone on here knows of a coach near you.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    Philly Burbs
    Where near philly? I’m in that area too and found coaches on bowl.com near me

I had a good practice session today. Probably too good. A 575 series to start followed by a 4th game at 163 which is still 16 pins higher than my recent (last 12 games) average. My expectation is that I will come crashing back down to reality tomorrow but it felt good for one day at least. A little sore from just 4 games and would have definitely liked to keep going but my ball speed had already dropped about 10% from yesterday to today and the last game I could definitely feel the fatigue. Looking forward to being able to test out a lighter ball in the not so distant future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast