Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Bowling - Too Early for Second Ball?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Randy Stoughton is going to be at Jay Lanes, Douglasville, PA 1/5 and 1/6 for a clinic. Kegel Road Show $150 covers both days and lunch is included. If you don't know who he is, he's the head coach of Weber International woman's bowling team and a gold coach. He coached Diana Zajalova, Daria Pajak, Verity Crawley and Ashley Galante.

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/n...uglassville-pa

If you can't make that clinic, Larry Del Vecchio is in that area and is Silver coach and he's very good too. He is usually gives lesson at Bowlero Feasterville or Facienda Whitaker Lanes.

Thanks JasonNJ. 12 hours over 2 days is just too much right now but I am definitely filing it away for future reference. The Road Show seems like a great deal.

Larry Del Vecchio is one of the two coaches I found from my Bowl.com search. Nice to know he is recommended by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    northwest burbs
    Ah ok. I’m in delco near south philly area

The ball demo went OK today but I was a little disappointed. I had 3 things I wanted to try:
    1) A lighter ball than 15#
    2) Full length finger holes rather than fingertips
    3) Some balls with more hook

1 & 2 were not possible as they only had a few 14# balls and none of those had a big enough span. The inserts they were using for the finger holes only allowed for fingertip grips rather than conventional. What I was left with was 15# balls with a lot more hook than I am currently getting. It was interesting to test them but what I found is I needed to throw them at a higher speed to be able to control the hook. I really would have liked to test out a 14# as I think it would have allowed me to throw at a faster speed without feeling like I was trying to power the ball.

Tomorrow morning I am going to test out throwing some 14# house balls but that is only going to tell me so much. If I want to try a 14# ball I am afraid it looks like I am stuck going the buy to try route. At this point I may just end up getting a 14# version of my current ball.

The ball demo went OK today but I was a little disappointed. I had 3 things I wanted to try:
    1) A lighter ball than 15#
    2) Full length finger holes rather than fingertips
    3) Some balls with more hook
    1) Don't go below 14#
    2) Why on Earth would you want to do that?
    3) All reactive resin balls hook the same amount; just earlier or later.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    1) Don't go below 14#
    2) Why on Earth would you want to do that?
    3) All reactive resin balls hook the same amount; just earlier or later.
    1) Not giving me much to go on without an explanation of why you think I shouldn't.
    2) Stiffness and aches in my fingers. I want to test if I have the same aches and pains when using full length finger holes.
    3) I will have to take your word for it. If they do hook the same, just earlier or later, then by the time it reaches the headpin a ball that hooks earlier has moved more boards than the ball that hooks later. Correct? If it is correct than the ball that hooks earlier has hooked more than the ball that hooks late. I'm not real worried about how much the balls would move if the lanes were unlimited width and length without any pins. My current ball is Urethane.

Cranker

1) Not giving me much to go on without an explanation of why you think I shouldn't.
    2) Stiffness and aches in my fingers. I want to test if I have the same aches and pains when using full length finger holes.
    3) I will have to take your word for it. If they do hook the same, just earlier or later, then by the time it reaches the headpin a ball that hooks earlier has moved more boards than the ball that hooks later. Correct? If it is correct than the ball that hooks earlier has hooked more than the ball that hooks late. I'm not real worried about how much the balls would move if the lanes were unlimited width and length without any pins. My current ball is Urethane.

The lighter the ball, the more possibility for deflection I believe is why Rob is saying don't go below 14#. I will give one caveat, if you have a physical issue that prevents you from bowling with 14# or heavier then of course go lower.

As for the aches and stiffness, I would say check your span and grip and make sure it's drilled properly for you. Too many people assume, I'm throwing a heavy 15# object, that it's natural for your hands to be sore. No it isn't, a properly fitted ball and there should be no pain. My brother in law bowled for 2 years with hand pain and his thumb would swell up every time we bowled. He got his ball from the local PSO, I finally dragged him to my pro shop about 90 minutes away and they fixed his thumb hole, found one finger hole too short and one too long and basically redid his grip and span completely. Guess what, no more hand pain and his thumb never swells now.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    The lighter the ball, the more possibility for deflection I believe is why Rob is saying don't go below 14#. I will give one caveat, if you have a physical issue that prevents you from bowling with 14# or heavier then of course go lower.

As for the aches and stiffness, I would say check your span and grip and make sure it's drilled properly for you. Too many people assume, I'm throwing a heavy 15# object, that it's natural for your hands to be sore. No it isn't, a properly fitted ball and there should be no pain. My brother in law bowled for 2 years with hand pain and his thumb would swell up every time we bowled. He got his ball from the local PSO, I finally dragged him to my pro shop about 90 minutes away and they fixed his thumb hole, found one finger hole too short and one too long and basically redid his grip and span completely. Guess what, no more hand pain and his thumb never swells now.
    Good to know about the weight. I didn't have plans to go below 14# but I wasn't ruling it out either.

We may be on the exact same wavelength. I am planning to go to Ryan at May's Bowling which is a bit of a hike for me but I have heard good things about him. If that is not your PSO guy then let me know who you are using so I can file it away for future reference.

Cranker

Good to know about the weight. I didn't have plans to go below 14# but I wasn't ruling it out either.

We may be on the exact same wavelength. I am planning to go to Ryan at May's Bowling which is a bit of a hike for me but I have heard good things about him. If that is not your PSO guy then let me know who you are using so I can file it away for future reference.
    The place I go to is in Connecticut so probably too far of a hike for you. The pro shop at the Bowlero Feasterville I heard is pretty good. do not go to the pro shop at Facienda, during my silver and bronze classes there, we had a bunch of bowlers come in so we could coach them and practice, almost everyone's span was off and they all had their equipment from Facienda.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    The place I go to is in Connecticut so probably too far of a hike for you. The pro shop at the Bowlero Feasterville I heard is pretty good. do not go to the pro shop at Facienda, during my silver and bronze classes there, we had a bunch of bowlers come in so we could coach them and practice, almost everyone's span was off and they all had their equipment from Facienda.
    Good to know about Facenda. Had mine drilled at Thunderbird in Warminster. I have no idea how good they are or are not. They were just the PSO at the place I started to bowl. They were friendly enough and seemed knowledgeable enough but what do I know? I have only been bowling for 45 days now.

CT would be a hike.

P.S. Got a second recommend on Larry Del Vecchio today. Once my game settles in a bit I hope to schedule some times with him.
    Last edited by grumpter; 01-13-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast