Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New to Bowling - Too Early for Second Ball?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    1) Not giving me much to go on without an explanation of why you think I shouldn't.
    2) Stiffness and aches in my fingers. I want to test if I have the same aches and pains when using full length finger holes.
    3) I will have to take your word for it. If they do hook the same, just earlier or later, then by the time it reaches the headpin a ball that hooks earlier has moved more boards than the ball that hooks later. Correct? If it is correct than the ball that hooks earlier has hooked more than the ball that hooks late. I'm not real worried about how much the balls would move if the lanes were unlimited width and length without any pins. My current ball is Urethane.
    1. The 13# weight block is not exactly the same as the 15#.
    2. Conventional grip is not going to be better that a fingertip grip with the right span and pitches for you.
    John

1) Not giving me much to go on without an explanation of why you think I shouldn't.
    2) Stiffness and aches in my fingers. I want to test if I have the same aches and pains when using full length finger holes.
    3) I will have to take your word for it. If they do hook the same, just earlier or later, then by the time it reaches the headpin a ball that hooks earlier has moved more boards than the ball that hooks later. Correct? If it is correct than the ball that hooks earlier has hooked more than the ball that hooks late. I'm not real worried about how much the balls would move if the lanes were unlimited width and length without any pins. My current ball is Urethane.
    1) Below 14#, many companies use generic cores, making the reading of ball reviews useless.
    2. I agree with Jason. Make sure that your ball is drilled correctly before resorting to traditional rather than fingertip drilling.
    3) Yes, earlier hooking means covering more boards, but the angle of the change of direction is the same. Here's the rub: as soon as the ball starts hooking, it starts losing energy. If it hooks to early, it covers more boards, but hits like a toasted marshmallow!

Chats: 0

Regarding #2....Stiffness and aches in the fingers is something that I know of well. I posted quite a bit about it earlier last year. I will agree that your grip may not be correct, first and foremost you're going to want to get that checked by a PSO. It's worth visiting a couple different ones just in case as I have found opinions vary between them. Correct grip and correct for you are where the differences appear.

The other cause could be health related. In my case it was both grip & health and fortunately I was able to remedy them. I can now bowl virtually as much as I want with little to no pain. Before doing anything about it, I couldn't get threw 4 frames if that without being on my knees in pain then packed it up and went home.

Changing your grip from fingertip to conventional would not be a good idea and likely not solve the issue. There are plenty of things to try first before resorting to such a thing.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234