Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you (right-hander) leave a stone eight, would you consider...

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Interesting discussion. If I start to leave 8 or 9 pins, I check to see how my release is. I also have to check around me to see if the Red Rock lanes in Las Vegas have started to dry out at the pins. Rob, you understand what happens with their oil and the lanes bothered by the entrance.
    Originally, I looked at the pins but my eyes forced me to look closer to the foul line. They finally changed enough that new glasses have returned the vision to further down the lane.
    This discussion highlights the many things that can cause unwanted results.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Interesting discussion. If I start to leave 8 or 9 pins, I check to see how my release is.
    This is one of the many ideas left over from the pre-resin days. Bowlers still like to think that they are in control, but we're not. The only way to gain control of your game is to admit that you have no control, if that makes any sense at all.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This is one of the many ideas left over from the pre-resin days. Bowlers still like to think that they are in control, but we're not. The only way to gain control of your game is to admit that you have no control, if that makes any sense at all.
    I received the Quiet Mind Bowling DVD as a Christmas gift and started watching it. Your comment is in line with the focus of the video. Instead of being focused on hitting a target or releasing the ball just right, one needs find a way to shut the intellect down and let “muscle memory” do its thing.
    John

SandBagger

Muscle Memory vs Over Thinking is a key part of the game. What you need to remember is that Muscle Memory only works if the Muscles remember to do the right things or the wrong things(which can be adjusted for) consistently. In my case I have had for 60 years a 3 board walk right. I can adjust because I do it so consistently.

I think that a big part of the problem is that we don't all view making adjustments the same way. Back in the old days we looked at maintaining the best line to the pocket. Today, a major part of adjusting is maintaining our knowledge of how the "miss room" is changing. As oil is absorbed by each ball that is thrown down the lane, and the new areas of increased friction expose new topography that will affect the ball, we need to be constantly aware of where we can miss and still get the ball to the pocket. This is the reason that waiting for a perfect shot to adjust does not work today. It is often our misses that give us the most information. This is not over-thinking, it's just thinking!

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I think that a big part of the problem is that we don't all view making adjustments the same way. Back in the old days we looked at maintaining the best line to the pocket. Today, a major part of adjusting is maintaining our knowledge of how the "miss room" is changing. As oil is absorbed by each ball that is thrown down the lane, and the new areas of increased friction expose new topography that will affect the ball, we need to be constantly aware of where we can miss and still get the ball to the pocket. This is the reason that waiting for a perfect shot to adjust does not work today. It is often our misses that give us the most information. This is not over-thinking, it's just thinking!
    Amen!
    Now, all I have to do is figure out how to get one of my teammates to come to a decision on what adjustment to make before stepping on the approach and just roll the dang ball.
    John

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Amen!
    Now, all I have to do is figure out how to get one of my teammates to come to a decision on what adjustment to make before stepping on the approach and just roll the dang ball.
    Good luck with that, the majority of league bowlers I know, know nothing about transition and when they bowl bad, its always the lane man's fault for not oiling right.

I’m the same. I still take a while to think about what marks to hit. I’m not quite confident enough with throwing at a breakpoint yet.

Be patient with your teammate. Once he gets the hang of what he’s trying to do, his scores will shoot up.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Good luck with that, the majority of league bowlers I know, know nothing about transition and when they bowl bad, its always the lane man's fault for not oiling right.
    I have never heard this teammate blame the lane or the lane man for his low scores.

What I think is the problem is that he has spent 40 years dealing with computers, and is mentaly going through all the lines of code involved in delivering the ball.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12