Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Ball for heavier Oil currently Tropical Breeze, Hy-Road, and Hammer Assassin

Question Storm Ball for heavier Oil currently Tropical Breeze, Hy-Road, and Hammer Assassin

Hello -

I started bowling in 2015. I'm right handed, and my average runs from 160 to 176 depending on how much I get to practice.

I have: a Storm ICE, Tropical Breeze, Storm Hy-Road, and a Hammer Assassin. On dry and medium Oil I am pretty happy.

I do 80% of my bowling with the Hy-Road. The Hammer Assassin has a weight hole so in may be plugged or replaced this year.

In heavy oil patterns I struggle. Washouts or splits if I move too far right. I even try moving way right and coming in from the outside with some success.

I am looking to add a Storm ball for heavier oil patterns.

Do you think the new Physix is a candidate? Or is there a ball that would be a good step up from the Hy-road?

Thanks!
    Mike P

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

From the specifications on the ball I would say it is a candidate for sure.

In regards to the second question about the a ball that would be a good step-up I don't really think we can recommend something specific because it is too wide of a question. Looking at the Hy-Road specifically (Polished, symmetrical) you have a few options to step up - cover wise you could go to a Hybrid cover or a dull finish or you could change the core to an asymmetrical. The second question is what are you looking for when you say step-up; are you looking for more back end reaction or something that rolls earlier and has a more continuous hook. I don't necessarily think that you need to answer those questions on the forum, but these are good questions to have answers for when you go to purchase the new ball - then your pro shop operator has a better chance of matching you up with something you need.

Hope this helps
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 32

its hard to say without actually watching you but I would think if your looking for a little more the Physix or maybe a Soniq may be it. Soniq is one of the earlier polished storm balls I've seen
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I actually have the same problem with my Hy-road. It’s just not enough ball for my style and oily lanes.

I also got a Tropical Breeze for the girlfriend to get into bowling.

I know this doesn’t sound very serious, but I really love the way the Hy-road looks. If I could get a stronger version of it, I’d be thrilled.

In the meantime, I’ve gotten a slightly better result by sanding the Hy-road with 1000 grit pads every few weeks.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I actually have the same problem with my Hy-road. It’s just not enough ball for my style and oily lanes.

I also got a Tropical Breeze for the girlfriend to get into bowling.

I know this doesn’t sound very serious, but I really love the way the Hy-road looks. If I could get a stronger version of it, I’d be thrilled.
    The Hy-Road X is the Hy-Road with a solid coverstock instead of the hybrid one. It sgould handle heavier oil than the original.
    John

I have the Hy-Road, Hy-Road Pearl and Hy-Road X. For wetter conditions the Physix has excellent ratings from Bowling This Month, but it also mentions that it doesn't glide well to the breakpoint like the Code X. The Code X works very nicely for me especially on a fresh pattern. The Soniq didn't do all that well for me except when transition sets in. Another option for wetter conditions would be the solid covered IQ Tour Edition. Both the Code X and IQ Tour use Storm's R2S Solid coverstock. The IQ Tour has been out nearly as long as the Hy-Road and if you're able to read Bowling This Month's review on the IQ Tour, the testers were surprised that they didn't need to change stance or target much when going from medium to heavy oil conditions. The Code X has an asymmetrical core and the IQ Tour has a symmetrical core. A more similar reaction to the Hy-Road might be the IQ Tour for wet conditions. Hope this helps...

Some of the Storm balls that's fairly popular around my area for a house that's generally med to heavy oil, are the Intense and the code X
    I haven't used either one myself, I have an IQ pearl and a Marvel Pearl that I've used with good results but i tend to play weaker balls or I can't
    keep them on right hand side of the lane.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Storm Sure Lock might work.

So I’m pretty set on an IQ Tour, to replace my Hy-Road. I just need a bit more than I’m getting, in terms of grip, hook, and oil handling.

I’m not personally set on Storm products however, so I’d like to know if there are comparable choices from other manufacturers? Maybe an even stronger option, without going asym?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast