Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new inserts and new ball discussion

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default new inserts and new ball discussion

Went to the bowling alley today for granddaughters birthday party but didn't bowl. Took my stuff with me and had the PSO put new inserts in my BWG. He asked it I wanted flats up or down. Wasn't sure what he meant but he said my old ones were flat down so had him install the new ones flats up. So mentioned having an interest in Radical for my next ball. He mentioned the Conspiracy would be good for me. He said it normally wouldn't be good for house shots but with my higher speed and lower revs said I should be ok.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Went to the bowling alley today for granddaughters birthday party but didn't bowl. Took my stuff with me and had the PSO put new inserts in my BWG. He asked it I wanted flats up or down. Wasn't sure what he meant but he said my old ones were flat down so had him install the new ones flats up. So mentioned having an interest in Radical for my next ball. He mentioned the Conspiracy would be good for me. He said it normally wouldn't be good for house shots but with my higher speed and lower revs said I should be ok.
    I'd be really interested to know why your PSO is trying to push the Radical Conspiracy on you. It's a very aggressive ball, particularly for someone whose arsenal contains such non-aggressive equipment. Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable with his view that it "should be O.K." It might be okay for you, but it will certainly be a very nice payday for him!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'd be really interested to know why your PSO is trying to push the Radical Conspiracy on you. It's a very aggressive ball, particularly for someone whose arsenal contains such non-aggressive equipment. Personally, I wouldn't be too comfortable with his view that it "should be O.K." It might be okay for you, but it will certainly be a very nice payday for him!
    He wasn't pushing it. I told him I was considering a Radical for my next ball. He had a few on the wall, including the conspiracy. Not sure that he was trying to get a sell as he told me of a fellow bowler that has a brand new one undrilled that he thinks the guy was selling and that I could likely get it cheaper than his off the shelf.
    He did say it was aggressive and said he wouldn't be able to use it on a house shot but he is very high rev. He even said it wasn't really a good ball for house shots but said it might work because of my higher speed and lower revs.

He has a few other Radicals there too.

Here is what I have noticed....I really do best when I play straight up the 5 board. I'm most consistent hitting my mark there. With my speed and low revs if I play anything inside the 10 my ball just goes straight. When I run the 5 board my ball doesn't rev at all, just rolls. Goes straight to the pocket and has pretty good power when it hits but pretty much just rolling. If I want to play more inside I will need a more aggressive ball, correct? My Kingpin is OOB and I just hit it with 1000 CTD and inside the 10 it goes straight. When I used that Storm Sync awhile back on the 5 board it had some revs. Very low but still was at least 'skidding'.

I won the plastic Pathogen Spare on here a couple weeks ago but haven't got it drilled yet. I was wondering if it might 'skid' a little better playing the 5 board? Or would it come back to the pocket?

My main objective is finding something 1) I can play in more oil (10 or more inside) and get at least some hook and 2) play the 5 board and get some revs. Seems like I hit the pocket all night long playing the 5 board but very few strikes and I can watch the ball just roll with no slide or skid at all.

He did say the new inserts with the flats up would give me more lift so maybe I can get more revs now and if so I'll have him replace the ones in my Kingpin too.

Is a more aggressive ball usually a better option for a high speed/low rev bowler like me? My sensors read consistently about 17.7 MPH at the pins (most guys in my league are under 16.0 MPH). I did work on my speed a little last week when I practiced and was seeing speeds in the 16's and even a couple in the 15's but I felt really awkward and wasn't getting any carry.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

It seems to me that a 15# ball coming into the pocket at 17-18 mph from the five board should have plenty of pin carry.

Modern bowling balls become unpredictable when “lift” is used to supply the revs.

High speed low rev usually means you need a ball with a low RG. You may or may not need a more agressive cover stock and orsurface texture to play a more inside line.
    John

High Roller

I get good carry but not many strikes. Maybe its just that it isn't as good of a pocket hit as I see but I get pins flying but seem to always leave either a 4, 6, 7, or 10. Just know that more revs should lead to more pin movement.

What is considered low RG? Less than 2.50? My BWG is 2.50 and my Kingpin is 2.483. The Kingpin has a smoother arc than the BWG. The BWG is slightly straighter with a little more backend but it does need polished. Both balls have a couple good sized gouges so sometime in the next couple months I'll be looking to get something newer
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

I recently switched to being only a Radical guy. All the ball manufacturers make good equipment but Mo Pinel and Phil Cardinale the owner of Radical are very active on their Facebook fan page and I've asked Mo Pinel for layout suggestions. I figure where else can I actually go to the guy who designed the bowling ball and ask him for advice. So for their customer service alone, is why I went Radical.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I recently switched to being only a Radical guy. All the ball manufacturers make good equipment but Mo Pinel and Phil Cardinale the owner of Radical are very active on their Facebook fan page and I've asked Mo Pinel for layout suggestions. I figure where else can I actually go to the guy who designed the bowling ball and ask him for advice. So for their customer service alone, is why I went Radical.
    I would like to chat with Mo on his suggestion but I'm not on Facebook and haven't had any luck through other means. I was thinking the same thing, if I wanted a Radical he would be the one to know which might work best.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I would like to chat with Mo on his suggestion but I'm not on Facebook and haven't had any luck through other means. I was thinking the same thing, if I wanted a Radical he would be the one to know which might work best.

You could try to email Radical, I emailed them about a cracked ball and Phil was the one who responded. Just tell them you aren't on Facebook and give them your bowling specs. PAP, Axis tilt, axis rotation and speed. Just say you want a suggested layout from Mo and I would think they would get it for you.

info@radicalbowling.com

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    You could try to email Radical, I emailed them about a cracked ball and Phil was the one who responded. Just tell them you aren't on Facebook and give them your bowling specs. PAP, Axis tilt, axis rotation and speed. Just say you want a suggested layout from Mo and I would think they would get it for you.

info@radicalbowling.com
    Well the other problem is I don't have any of that info. My PSO has never checked for it.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I might be off base here but the situation you describe sounds a lot like a buddy of mine has going. He's a big strong guy and tends to rocket the ball down the lane at 18 MPH
    One of his teammates who's a high average long time bowler keeps telling him to work on rolling the ball vs throwing the ball. It sounds as if you might have the same situation , lots of speed but very little hand on the ball, the ball is flung down the lane and for the most part it just skids all the way down the lane never slowing enough to react to the lane condition. If this is the situation you can gain much more by learning to roll the ball, than by changing to throwing a new ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast