Thread: Does it make more sense to just get polished balls for league?

Default Does it make more sense to just get polished balls for league?

I’ve noticed that when I bowl a rougher surface, like 1000-1500 grit, my ball very quickly builds up “lane shine”, as it soaks up oil.

In order to keep any type of consistent surface, I’d have to sand it after every session!

Would it make more sense to just stick to balls with polished OOB surfaces, to avoid this?

It makes sense to stick with balls with surfaces that match up to the bowling center where you are bowling. Not all centers are the same, so sticking with a polished surface in a center where more surface gives you a better look doesn't make much sense. Also, it not soaking up oil that causes "lane shine," it's a smoothing out of the surface grooves with each trip down the lane.

Right, but if the surface is going to deform that quickly anyway, then what’s the point in anything under 4000 grit?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    Right, but if the surface is going to deform that quickly anyway, then what’s the point in anything under 4000 grit?

All bowling balls will get lane shine and usually just after 3 games the grit level of the surface has really changed so some people will lightly sand their ball after each set. If that is too much trouble, a cleaner like Clean and Dull will take the lane shine off.

For me personally, I just use the clean and dull and I'll alter the surface of my bowling balls depending on how they are playing. For example, I have a Radical Intel which I love, I started losing carry with it so I did a full resurface to what should have been OOB and I struggled with it. The surface was too dull and it was burning up. I finally took a 3000 pad and put some shine on the ball and I'm back in love with the ball. So you adjust the surface of the ball to match your lane conditions not just because it just going to lane shine anyway.

If a dull ball works better for your game on those lanes, use it.
    Maybe start wiping the ball off each frame will help keep it cleaner.
    Lane shine develops on all balls and is what usually make your shiny pearl balls
    look dull and gray after a few games.
    in most instances it has a smaller effect than you would think on your ball reaction.

I do wipe my ball before each shot, but maybe I’m doing it wrong. Do you typically still see the track marks after you do it?

I’ve been using a microfiber buffing towel I found at drug mart, and recently switched to a rougher terry cloth. That seems to work a little better.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyCatFace View Post
    I do wipe my ball before each shot, but maybe I’m doing it wrong. Do you typically still see the track marks after you do it?

I’ve been using a microfiber buffing towel I found at drug mart, and recently switched to a rougher terry cloth. That seems to work a little better.
    Can you see track marks after wiping? Yes.

If you have a shiny ball you could see where the track area has dulled some or if your ball is dull to start with, then the track may look smoother/shinier.

Can you see oil lines on the ball after wiping? Yes.

Some oil lines you might see after wiping are from where the oil has got into the cover, to remove those you need a good penetrating cleaner. Such as Clean'N Dull, Hook it etc.

As for towels.

Microfiber is typically better than terry cloth, But you must keep them clean. So wash it good and don't use a fabric softener on them.

Better still are the leather shammy's, I use one and it does a great job wiping oil from the surface.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Not all microfiber towels or cloths are the same is what I've found out for cleaning up oil from my bowling balls.
    My wife brought some Turtle Wax cloths which are not as thick as most cloths I've seen and they've worked the best.
    They're nearly as good as a chamois or shammy type of cleaning gizmo. Keep wiping your ball and it will last a long time without having to go into a more severe revival technique.
    Hope this helps...

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820
    Better still are the leather shammy's
    I agree with bowl1820 on using a leather shammy as it seems
    to remove the most oil from the ball. I switched to using one
    of them and I've seen a big difference in the oil removal from
    the ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill