Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: differences in coverstock

This thread seems like a good time to reintroduce an old topic: Understanding modern bowling balls. There are only four factors that influence how a particular bowling ball will work for you: core, cover material, layout, and surface.

Here are the important things to consider: manufacturers tell you everything about the core (shape, symmetry, low RG, and Differential(s)), they tell you nothing about the cover material other than in the most general terms (everything else is marketing rhetoric), the layout is nothing more than how the core is positioned within the ball (stick to one or two layouts that work for you), and the surface finish which is the only thing that can be easily changed once the ball is drilled. The bottom line is that if you take a little time to learn about cores, learn to ignore the marketing rhetoric about the cover formulation, find one or two layouts that work for you and stick with them, and get rid of the notion that there is anything sacred or special about the OOB finish, you'll find that choosing and setting up a bowling ball is very simple. There's no magic involved!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This thread seems like a good time to reintroduce an old topic: Understanding modern bowling balls. There are only four factors that influence how a particular bowling ball will work for you: core, cover material, layout, and surface.

Here are the important things to consider: manufacturers tell you everything about the core (shape, symmetry, low RG, and Differential(s)), they tell you nothing about the cover material other than in the most general terms (everything else is marketing rhetoric), the layout is nothing more than how the core is positioned within the ball (stick to one or two layouts that work for you), and the surface finish which is the only thing that can be easily changed once the ball is drilled. The bottom line is that if you take a little time to learn about cores, learn to ignore the marketing rhetoric about the cover formulation, find one or two layouts that work for you and stick with them, and get rid of the notion that there is anything sacred or special about the OOB finish, you'll find that choosing and setting up a bowling ball is very simple. There's no magic involved!
    Rob, I bought a Storm Sky Rocket (15 lbs.) with an RG of 2.54 and Differential of 0.46 with a pearl coverstock a couple of years ago. I was expecting it to go a bit longer than my Hy-Road and to provide a snappier backend. While I had it, it did seem to go a bit longer like the BTM suggested, but it wasn't snappier like I expected. I gave it away to another fellow in our senior league. I decided to pick up a Hy-Road Pearl with an RG of 2.57 and Differential of 0.46 which is practically identical to the Sky Rocket. I had seen the Hy-Road Pearl on the lanes before elsewhere and I was impressed on it's snappy reaction. I've found that it was more what I expected and is a bit more snappy on the backend. It has a little different shape and reaction than the Hy-Road. It seems to skid a bit longer than the Hy-Road and more rounded on it's reaction for me.
    Since the Sky Rocket and Hy-Road Pearl use the pearl R2S coverstock, it seems to me that there's some magic between the two balls. Both were laid out the same with 50 x 3 3/8 x 25. I've wondered what accounted for what I perceived as different reactions to these two balls. I'm pleased with the Hy-Road Pearl BTW.
    I bought a SoniQ with an RG of 2.47 and differential of 0.47 which uses the R2S coverstock. I was surprised to see it have a much longer length rating in BTM evaluation. I was expecting it to pick up better in the midlane and finish quite strong even on the fresh. For me it's a ball that I can use once transition sets in on our THS men's league and then it's something that finishes quite nicely. I would suppose that the first ball out of the bag should be the Hy-Road hybrid cover and then switch to the Hy-Road pearl or SoniQ once the lanes start changing a bit. Again, I've wondered what I'm missing on the SoniQ and what I've perceived of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The bottom line is that if you take a little time to learn about cores, learn to ignore the marketing rhetoric about the cover formulation, find one or two layouts that work for you and stick with them, and get rid of the notion that there is anything sacred or special about the OOB finish, you'll find that choosing and setting up a bowling ball is very simple. There's no magic involved!
    Sounds good, do you have or can you direct us toward some information on core , the properties and what each one will contributes toward ball reaction and performance and what balls are suitable for what bowlers or conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Rob, I bought a Storm Sky Rocket (15 lbs.) with an RG of 2.54 and Differential of 0.46 with a pearl coverstock a couple of years ago. I was expecting it to go a bit longer than my Hy-Road and to provide a snappier backend. While I had it, it did seem to go a bit longer like the BTM suggested, but it wasn't snappier like I expected.
    What led you to expect that the Sky Rocket would provide a "snappier" backend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Sounds good, do you have or can you direct us toward some information on core , the properties and what each one will contributes toward ball reaction and performance and what balls are suitable for what bowlers or conditions.
    I wrote an article for BTM several years ago. It's entitled, "This ball's too weak, this ball's too strong, this ball's just right!" The article is available to subscribers on the BTM website. If you are not a subscriber and can't avoid to become one (about $40 a year), I'll be glad to answer any questions that you may have right here. Just ask what you want to know.

I thought that a pearl type of coverstock with the polished 1500 grit finish like the Hy-Road has would grab the dry boards a bit quicker than the hybrid cover.

Another point is BTM shows the Sky Rocket to have very good ratings for dry conditions and the Hy-Road Pearl shows poorer results for dry conditions. Wondered why that was, too...

I thought that a pearl type of coverstock with the polished 1500 grit finish like the Hy-Road has would grab the dry boards a bit quicker than the hybrid cover.
    As I said earlier, I firmly believe that the type of cover material (solid, pearl, hybrid) has much less effect on ball motion than the manufacturers would have us believe.

Another point is BTM shows the Sky Rocket to have very good ratings for dry conditions and the Hy-Road Pearl shows poorer results for dry conditions. Wondered why that was, too...
    Okay, I'm going to stick my neck out here and make an educated guess. One of the sites where I researched the HyRoad made reference to a part of the core with a different density that allows the cover to be thicker than on other balls. Since the RG's are purely based on measurements (in inches) of the X and Y axis of the core, it would seem to me that adding more weight within the core would make the ball more center-heavy, thereby changing how soon the ball rolls without actually changing the low RG measurement. Does that make any sense?

The difference of the internals of the Sky Rocket and the Hy-Road Pearl seems to be the cover thickness and the slight difference in RG measurements. Perhaps the concentration of the mass in the Hy-Road makes a difference along with the thickness of the cover. The Hy-Road balls essentially have a very thick cover and no filler. Maybe that's what makes them different. Don't know...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast