Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: differences in coverstock

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default differences in coverstock

So I see pearl, solid, reactive, hybrid (am i missing any?). So what is the difference in them and why choose one over the other?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So I see pearl, solid, reactive, hybrid (am i missing any?). So what is the difference in them and why choose one over the other?
    The whole solid/hybrid/pearl thing is the greatest marketing coup known to man. The inherent differences are so minor that a very slight surface adjustment render them virtually identical. Imagine the elation for the marketing guy that came up with the idea to sell three products, all virtually identical, to the same customer. He's still laughing all the way to the bank!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The whole solid/hybrid/pearl thing is the greatest marketing coup known to man. The inherent differences are so minor that a very slight surface adjustment render them virtually identical. Imagine the elation for the marketing guy that came up with the idea to sell three products, all virtually identical, to the same customer. He's still laughing all the way to the bank!
    Good point...lol. I have seen people say they bought 2 of the same ball, one solid and one pearl. Just wondered why you would need both and what the difference was.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

One word: surface. If you look back a few years, Storm came out with the Rocket, a ball with a hybrid cover material, finished to 1500 abralon with Step 2 polish. A few months later, they introduced the Sky Rocket, a pearl ball with the same core and the same OOB finish. If you look at the BTM ball reviews for the two balls, you will see that they were identical. This was a result of the same OOB finish. Next, they came out with the Rocket Ship, same core and a solid cover material. It also had a totally different finish. It was totally different from the other two releases as a direct result of the surface, not the fact that it was a solid.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So I see pearl, solid, reactive, hybrid (am i missing any?).
    First off remove reactive from that list.

The main coverstock materials are: Rubber (Which is old, but can still be found in play.), Plastic (Polyester), Urethane, Reactive Urethane (aka: Reactive Resin), Particle (Which is a Reactive cover that's had microscopic pieces of material added to it).

There are some old lesser know ones, like Epoxy or Acryllium (which was used like for the old Ebonite Omega Acryllium) but they never really went anywhere (so don't worry about them).

With the exception of the Rubber and Plastic, you could have Solid, Hybrid and Pearl versions of the rest example:
    A Urethane "Solid", A Urethane "Pearl", A reactive "Hybrid", Particle "Pearl" etc.

So what is the difference in them
    A Solid is basically just the base coverstock resin the ball is made of.

A Pearl is the base resin with a additive, Typically either powdered pearl or liquid pearl.

Now do those additives affect the balls motion? There has been many discussions and debates about that and it's not been definitely answered. It just depends on who you ask example.

According to Mo Pinel (he's well known in the bowling industry if you don't know who he is) who currently designs balls for Radical, he says "If you use powdered pearl, you will NOT add length, just increase the shape of the breakpoint. If you use liquid pearl (mother of pearl), you will definitely add length. At Brunswick, it's all about the base resins and the additive packages that determine the effect of the cover on the shape of the ball motion."

A Hybrid is basically a combination of a Solid & a Pearl (IMO It's just a Pearl with less pearl material than a pearl. Let's just call it "Lite Pearl"), with the idea that it will read the mid lane like a solid and have the backend reaction of pearl.

and why choose one over the other?
    Well originally the idea is/was that you got a Solid for the oil and Pearl for the dry. When reactive came out the same idea was basically applied to it.

A lot of players look to pearls when they want more of a skid/snap reaction, While you can get a skid snap with a solid it's usually easier with a pearl.

IMO about Solid/Hybrid/Pearl

You can polish a solid all you want and get it to act more like a pearl, But your not going to turn it into one. You can sand a pearl all you want and get it to act more like a solid, But your not going to turn it into one.

Can you take a Solid and a Pearl version of the same ball and put the same surface on them and have them react exactly the same? It's all going to depend on what ball's they are.

Here's from personal experience, Pyramid bowlings force line of balls. The Force (solid), Force Pearl and the Blunt Force (the hybrid) the only difference in them is solid/hybrid/pearl everything else is the same.

I have the Blunt Force and the Force Pearl and they are layed out as close to exactly the same as I could get and have rolled them with the same surface texture on the same lanes and condition.

While both balls had basically the same shape of motion, The Force Pearl was noticeably longer before it made it's move.

Another example was the Rotogrip Nomad's the only difference solid/hybrid/pearl, the rest was the same even the OOB. I had them they did not react the same.

So as you see the whole solid vs hybrid vs pearl subject is not necessarily all that cut and dried.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-01-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

Clear as mud....lol. But like Rob said in my other thread about my new Conspiracy, there are so many variables that it is hard to compare 2 balls. But what you said does make sense.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Since it's clear as mud, I'll give my take on it, in a basic viewpoint .

The pearl ball with out of box finish will slide longer before making it's move, the thought being it will conserve more energy , (thought to be an advantage for slower speed bowlers) and hit harder, it's also better matched for medium oil the solid ball polished will do the same thing.

The solid with OOB finish will make it's move sooner, maybe too soon for slower speed bowlers if it rolls out before reaching the pocket, and is better matched for heavier oil, the pearl ball surface can be adjusted to accomplish the same thing.

If you're willing and able to make your own surface adjustment either ball can be made to do the same thing.
    The hybrid is a compromise between the two.

This is my take on it and isn't intended to contradict any of the prior comments, mostly it's just a slightly different way to say the same thing.
    If you don't intend to make surface changes get the ball that more closely matches your game.

Chats: 32

Ignore Solid, Pearl, Hybrid it's BS. Pay attention to surface as Rob stated. Their may be a 1 board difference if you had them all with the same surface you aren't one board accurate anyway lol. Simply realize surface is king and you control the surface. You'll be much better off and no more waiting for them to bring out the pearl or solid version of what you want.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer

nice post Boatman. great info. as one fairly new to all of this I was basically wondering the same thing.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Bowl1820.

Increase the shape of the breakpoint.

Can you explain this part of your thread please?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast