Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Practice is Tough

Default Weekend Practice is Tough

Sunday morning seems to work but I have an event this Sunday for another sport. Tried 3 different alleys today and I guess I feel lucky to have been able to at least get in 3 games before being kicked off the lanes for an event. The other 2 alleys were complete washouts (glow bowling). I'm hungry to get back on the lanes as I feel like I am making a lot of progress (went 194, 191 and 188). I thought I was in the clear at the third alley when a worker told me the Glow Bowling was ending in about 45 minutes. I said, "great, thanks" and as I walking away he thankfully mentioned "but we have a 2 hour wait list after that". He at least saved me from wasting another 45 minutes.

At this point I am toying with the idea of taking an evening nap to hit the alley open 24/7 at about 1:30am.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I have found that Monday through Thursday early afternoon before the kids get out works well for me. Most of the centers near me get pretty crowded on the weekends or week evenings with leagues. Early n the day on Saturday or Sunday seems ok too.

Boy I wish there was a 24 hour lanes near me.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    Sunday morning seems to work but I have an event this Sunday for another sport. Tried 3 different alleys today and I guess I feel lucky to have been able to at least get in 3 games before being kicked off the lanes for an event. The other 2 alleys were complete washouts (glow bowling). I'm hungry to get back on the lanes as I feel like I am making a lot of progress (went 194, 191 and 188). I thought I was in the clear at the third alley when a worker told me the Glow Bowling was ending in about 45 minutes. I said, "great, thanks" and as I walking away he thankfully mentioned "but we have a 2 hour wait list after that". He at least saved me from wasting another 45 minutes.

At this point I am toying with the idea of taking an evening nap to hit the alley open 24/7 at about 1:30am.
    Is the 24 hour lane, Facienda Whittaker? I took my bronze and silver coaching courses there.

Cranker

I know a coach who says glow bowling is the best time to bowl, he even suggested to get the lane next to the birthday parties. That way you can work on your mental game and work on bowling with distractions and league conditions become easier.

I wish I could get out on the weekdays before the kids are out but that's not possible with my day job. If I want to bowl on a weekday I have to take a nap when I get home from work and then hit the lanes at about 9:30pm.

Yes, Facenda Whitaker lanes. It's 4:45am and I am about to head there now which is a beautiful thing to be able to do. I have done the practice next to the birthday party bit and it didn't bother me. The music during glow bowling would bother me to no end as would the light show.

Yeah, I can’t hit a target with the lights going. Noise is not really an issue for me though.

It's best to call ahead to find out when they do the party lights. Where I'm at we usually do them in the evenings during open bowl. It's not really on set days though, sometimes it's by request or depends on the counter person at the time. However, if there is a birthday party or other event they may be on during those times too. That said, ours are pretty tame, mainly just black lights and currently some projected snowflakes currently on the ceiling. We don't use strobes, disco balls or all those other lights that make you feel like you're walking down Las Vegas Blvd. We also have black lights at the pins but I personally keep the white lights on, the auto scorers have trouble with the black lights more often than not.

I put them on based on the crowd bowling. If I see serious bowlers I keep them off. If everyone is just messing around I'll turn them on. Speaking as one who works for tips and I like money, it's a fact that people hang out more, drink more and tip better with them on. Since there is no flickering lights I have found that the lanes visibility is still excellent, as are the arrows and dots. As for music, I only crank it during the party lights, with them off my music stays off. We do also have a jukebox, if someone pays to listen we have to have it at a decent volume with or without party lights. I'm so used to all so music and party lights don't affect my game a bit, it's all the same to me I just block it all out. I realize not everyone can do that though.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

It's not the noise of the music that would bother me but rather the selection and volume. Most of the time I have my music going while practicing and when the house volume is at a reasonable level my music blocks out theirs. It's more an issue of the whole experience is not my particular taste for entertainment. I get it though as they seem to do well with it.

Calling ahead is going to get old quick. The golf system probably has me spoiled a bit. A quick search online and I can find out what my options are for playing that day. Going forward I am thinking my best bet for future years is going to be to find multiple bowling leagues to join and weekend practice is mostly going to be relegated to Sunday mornings and the occasional Saturday afternoon.

Sunday mornings are a good time to go for straight up bowling. It's very rare for us to go cosmic at that time. We have our Sunday regs and it's known that they prefer the regular lights on. Unless it's a full blown whole house booking then chances are it's going to be straight bowling with a mild volume background music.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Pin Crusher

Make Friday RAP night, Saturday COUNTRY and Sunday HYMN and GOSPEL.
    Your there to bowl not dance. turn the ******* music off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast