Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ball and new target

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    I use a DV8 Polyester right now (pancake block), but it is the wrong weight so I was going to purchase a new one. How much do I lose in 10 pin effectiveness if I were to switch to Storm Mix (with their faux urethane coverstock) or an asymm spare ball like the track spare plus or hammer black widow spare?
    To quote my mentor, USBC Gold coach Ron Hatfield, a spare ball should be one that is the same weight as your strike balls, drilled with the same span, pitches, and hole sizes, with a polyester cover stock and a pancake weight block. That said, I too have a pretty good sucess rate using a Storm Mix. I did use a White Dot for a year and a half but got ticked off when it started chipping around the finger holes. And since I had thirty years experience throwing almost dead straight at everything, I’m probably better than most at killing my hook and throwing any ball in my bag straight.
    John

I started shooting spares with a 16 lb Brunswick Black Beauty several years ago and it was straight as an arrow most days. Switched weights later and got a White Dot 15 lb plastic ball, never liked it and not sure why. Saw the Polar Ice from Storm and got a 16 lb ball drilled conventional to attempt to make it go straighter. Did okay with it and eventually got it plugged to go with finger tip drilling. Then tried a 15 lb Mix, drilled finger tip and liked it better than the other three. Finally, got a 14 lb Mix, drilled finger tip and a little negative side weight. It is what I'll likely keep using and my 10-pin spare averages are much better. I get a slight amount of hook on the backend of a board or two. I just polish it up every so often to keep it shiny.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I used to just use my urethane Cobalt Rhino for everything years ago. Now that we have synthetic lanes and balls that react much more I had to get another ball. My first ball back was my Black Widow Gold and I couldn't pick up my 7's. Bought a Brunswick Black Rhino Pearl. I had trouble with 7's with this too After that bought the Kingpin and used that for my strike and spare ball. Worked better than the bowler did with the 7's. The problem with the Rhino and 7's was the ball would slip right into the gutter if I was too far left where the Kingpin would hold the edge. Took a 1000 CTD pad and scuffed the Rhino and it holds the gutter good so have been using it for 7's now.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I used to just use my urethane Cobalt Rhino for everything years ago. Now that we have synthetic lanes and balls that react much more I had to get another ball. My first ball back was my Black Widow Gold and I couldn't pick up my 7's. Bought a Brunswick Black Rhino Pearl. I had trouble with 7's with this too After that bought the Kingpin and used that for my strike and spare ball. Worked better than the bowler did with the 7's. The problem with the Rhino and 7's was the ball would slip right into the gutter if I was too far left where the Kingpin would hold the edge. Took a 1000 CTD pad and scuffed the Rhino and it holds the gutter good so have been using it for 7's now.
    No offense intended but if your ball was or is sliding into the gutter shooting at the seven pin you are not lining up the right way.
    John

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    No offense intended but if your ball was or is sliding into the gutter shooting at the seven pin you are not lining up the right way.
    Oh I know....lol. But I had always threw my primary ball for the 7 pin and aimed just to the left of the pin. Ideally the ball would hit the 7 square but I had a little room for error to the outside as the ball would hang on. With the Rhino OOB it wouldn't hold so I had to be more accurate. I don't throw a big hook so could get away with my primary ball on 7's. I try to error to the outside on my 7 pins and if I do miss my ball will hang on. I'm not accurate enough to just hit it straight...lol. Oh, I stand cross alley too so my right foot is about at the 7 board and I hit just to the left of the middle arrow. I have been a little more accurate the last few weeks though and hitting more head on.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    To quote my mentor, USBC Gold coach Ron Hatfield, a spare ball should be one that is the same weight as your strike balls, drilled with the same span, pitches, and hole sizes, with a polyester cover stock and a pancake weight block. That said, I too have a pretty good sucess rate using a Storm Mix. I did use a White Dot for a year and a half but got ticked off when it started chipping around the finger holes. And since I had thirty years experience throwing almost dead straight at everything, I’m probably better than most at killing my hook and throwing any ball in my bag straight.
    That is why I am getting a new ball. It’s a 15 and my strike balls are all 16s. But sometimes I feel like lanes are so dry I’d be better off with just one asymmetrical spare ball or the mix. If it just flattens out it could be useful on wetter conditions for the 9,10 and 6-10

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    That is why I am getting a new ball. It’s a 15 and my strike balls are all 16s. But sometimes I feel like lanes are so dry I’d be better off with just one asymmetrical spare ball or the mix. If it just flattens out it could be useful on wetter conditions for the 9,10 and 6-10
    Most of the time, translated as dang near always, we coaches recommend that you do not switch weights between balls.
    John

Chats: 221

I use a Taboo spare (gas mask core) . It doubles as my dry lanes ball and although plastic still has plenty of "hit" due to the core
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    I use a Taboo spare (gas mask core) . It doubles as my dry lanes ball and although plastic still has plenty of "hit" due to the core
    thank you! insignificant difference on 6, 9, 10 spares using it then? i am only 76% on my 10s so I want definitely do not want to regress any. Also may keep an eye out for a Taboo x-out - forgot they had the same core

You need to be really careful when considering plastic balls with dynamic cores, particularly if you don't have a lot of ball speed. I tried a Track Spare Plus, and found that it hooks too much for me as a strike ball, much less as a spare ball for corner pins.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast