Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ball and new target

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default New ball and new target

My wife I started bowling this spring, I’m 58. I started with a plastic ball and straight shots and enjoyed it. A few months ago one of the pro shop guys walked buy and I asked him to watch me throw the ball. He said I was doing fine. He asked if I wanted to try a demo ball with fingertip grips and try hooking the ball. He set up a Track Precision and I threw some baby hook shots and I was sold. I bought one that day and have beeen practicing a lot. That ball seems to start hooking slowly as soon as it leaves my hand and slowly into the pocket. I thought I was doing something wrong because of the way other bowlers would hook the ball way down the lane. I now know that is one of the characteristics of the ball. I aim at the second arrow and stand to the left of the center dot. My best game so far is a 204 and a 149 average overall.

Yesterday I picked up a Hammer Rip’d gold. When I threw some practice shots from the same spot I was maybe hitting the 7 pin and missing everything else because it was hooking way later and sharper. I adjusted my starting spot 5 boards to the left and the third arrow and was having some luck. I decided to shoot a game and on the sixth frame the owner stopped and asked how the new ball was. I explained. He told me to angle myself a little right and shoot between the second and third arrows but pick a spot about ten feet farther down the lane to use as my target. I got strikes the next five frames in a row and finished with a 201. Not bad for the first game. And now this ball hooks at the end, which I’m not sure is better for my game but it just feels better. I’m still new to this and I am enjoying the sport more every day. I start my first league in a few weeks.
    Mike

Welcome to your new obsession Mike!

I started about a year ago in November, when a friend invited me to join his league team. I started out bowling plastic and averaged 105 or so. Now I’m at 160 and climbing fast.

I love the feeling when you drop a ball off your hand just right, and the pins explode. It’s addictive!

What is Bowling?

Thanks
    I went back today with the expectations of bowling a 200 again. Boy was I wrong. Three 130’s and a 180. I just couldn’t find my spot. But I guess that’s what makes it challenging. The spares killed me. I couldn’t pick up the ten pin for anything with that ball. I’ll bring my old plastic ball next time and try that.

Mike, Bowling is a game of feel and consistency. If you can keep your swing in a pretty straight line and maintain speed by using gravity to assist you (that is don't throw it with the power from your arm), you can make adjustments to where you start from with your feet and where your target is to get lined up to the pocket.
    Knocking down all ten pins in one or two shots is a key to successful bowling. Use the markings on the approach and on the lanes to your advantage for lining up for strikes and also picking up spares.
    Learn about the dimensions of the lane, the pins and the ball and where those markings on the lane by board number. Realize the centerline of the head pin sits on board 20 away from the gutter on either side which means there are nineteen boards to the left and nineteen boards to the right. Look down the lane at a full rack of pins and take note of where the center of each pin you see is sitting. This will help you to learn where to stand and what to target to get a lot more of your single pin spares.
    Good luck with your learning process... Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike546 View Post
    Thanks
    I went back today with the expectations of bowling a 200 again. Boy was I wrong. Three 130’s and a 180. I just couldn’t find my spot. But I guess that’s what makes it challenging. The spares killed me. I couldn’t pick up the ten pin for anything with that ball. I’ll bring my old plastic ball next time and try that.
    There's a reason that 99% of the top bowlers in the world use plastic balls for spares. particularly the ten pin, and it's not because it makes it harder

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There's a reason that 99% of the top bowlers in the world use plastic balls for spares. particularly the ten pin, and it's not because it makes it harder
    Yep, I'm a big believer in having a plastic spare ball. I remember seeing a video of pros being asked what was their most important ball, the majority of them said their spare ball.

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Yep, I'm a big believer in having a plastic spare ball. I remember seeing a video of pros being asked what was their most important ball, the majority of them said their spare ball.
    Yep it’s coming with me from now on.
    Thanks all

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I use a DV8 Polyester right now (pancake block), but it is the wrong weight so I was going to purchase a new one. How much do I lose in 10 pin effectiveness if I were to switch to Storm Mix (with their faux urethane coverstock) or an asymm spare ball like the track spare plus or hammer black widow spare?

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    I use a DV8 Polyester right now (pancake block), but it is the wrong weight so I was going to purchase a new one. How much do I lose in 10 pin effectiveness if I were to switch to Storm Mix (with their faux urethane coverstock) or an asymm spare ball like the track spare plus or hammer black widow spare?

That's a subjective question, the mix and probably the asym plastic ball will hook a little more but you can still throw them pretty straight. It really depends on the individual bowler and their release. I use a Storm Mix for my spare ball and I love it.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc82 View Post
    If you are a higher speed lower hand bowler you will be just fine. If you are a slower speed bigger hand guy I wouldn't suggest it. It all depends on your game
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast