Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOX coverage of PBA - there are some really good things happening **01/06 spoiler

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Default FOX coverage of PBA - there are some really good things happening **01/06 spoiler

Had the opportunity to watch the last half of the PBA Hall of Fame Championship that was televised by FOX, and I must say that there is a lot of good things that FOX has done and some that bowlers should really pay attention to.

First the things that are not specific to serious bowlers:
    1. Camera quality is much better than ESPN - we do live in a HD world where you don't get a bad picutre anymore, but there is a considerable difference
    2. Production value is higher - short lead-ins of players coming up, etc.
    3. FOX is bringing up PBA events on other telecasts - used the Cowboy game to mention the event in Arlington, a bowling mention on the NFL pregame.

The thing I highly recommend bowlers to really start paying attention to/analyzing is the shot tracker that they have added to the telecast, especially when a bowler is able to progress through a few rounds. I'm using Bill O'Neill as the example in this, because if you really watch the tracker you will start seeing his ball rolling out well before the pocket 7-10. As he starts leaving soft tens (counting those that end up carrying and excluding the near out of bounds shot) you will notice that the angle on the backend starts to soften up. I believe the transition was the Columbia300 Savage to the Hammer Web Tour which would explain why the ball change worked. Something else of note, pay attention to the majority of ten pins left in the event and notice if you can start seeing a trend - may help you in making that first adjustment off of consistent ten pins.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I caught the broadcast a couple of weeks ago on our local Fox station but I believe this one was not covered by our local station. if I had dish or cable that would be great. i would like to see more or local antenna TV. but i agree with what you said about the broadcast and the improvements.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

It was great to have Nelson Burton Jr. on there, too. Too bad he's not on there as the commentator regularly. He truly knows the game and the history as well...

Pin Crusher

As far as I know yesterdays show was live. Also if you don't live in a dead zone you should have been able to get the show on you local fox station.
    I liked the show and thought Randy was ok (not as many stupid jokes) Rob Stone was good too. That should fire up the haters.

Chats: 256

Really liked the PBA show yesterday. I DVR'd it and watched it last night.

Very nice data that they are capturing and thought it was way above what has previously been done with bowling broadcasts from other providers.

Good things are in store for bowling this season.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Ringer

finally finished watching this on youtube. it was a pretty suspenseful championship match.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

I really wonder what they said to Rob Stone to get him to quit screaming "Hambone!"

Pin Crusher

My guess is he heard that some of the old fans didn't like it and so toned it down. Randy instigated a lot of the hambone talk on the show this week. I think it is a bit todo about nothing.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    My guess is he heard that some of the old fans didn't like it and so toned it down. Randy instigated a lot of the hambone talk on the show this week. I think it is a bit todo about nothing.

Plus he is what, 10 years older now? Maybe he wants to be taken a bit more seriously.

Pin Crusher

All we can ask for is for him and Randy to be professional. I will watch and enjoy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast