Thread: Wedding reception at a bowling center?

Chats: 0

Default Wedding reception at a bowling center?

We recently hosted a wedding reception at our center. At first I was like SERIOUSLY? Who does that? In the end I thought "Okay maybe it was brilliant?" I'm still a little on the fence honestly. They did chose to have it here because that's where they met so in that way it's kinda cute. On the other side of it, the guests were saying "What a cheapskate".

The food was catered and it was a locked door event so no strangers could come in to drink or bowl. They had little appetizer trays that you would buy at the grocery store containing crackers, cheese and meat. We put a spotlight over the center of the approach for them to dance under. After the dance they threw out the first ball. We had personal videos and photo arrays playing on all the TV's and their MP3 player plugged in playing their musical selection. We also did a Champagne toast for the bride and groom. Everyone paid their own bar tab.

I mean, for a bowling alley we did our best and everyone had fun. I know my father in law would have danced to the bank had our reception cost so little rather than getting a second mortgage like he did. Another upside is that the guests had bowling, arcade games, pool tables to keep busy. An alternate to most receptions where it's dinner, drinking and dancing only. So, what do you think? Stupid or brilliant?
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Chats: 4

I've heard of people meeting in the bowling center and then getting married
    in the bowling center and then having their reception in the center also so it
    isn't all that crazy I guess.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Pin Crusher

Been to a couple of them where I bowl. Not on the alleys but in the bar. Nice place with dance floor and seating for over 125. They cater and cook every thing in house. Good food.

My wife and I met at a bowling alley in a summer league. So, it made logical sense to us to have the reception at the bowling alley. It was a great time. We reserved the auxiliary bar. It has plenty of room. The buffet was prepared by the bowling alley and the food was great. We reserved 10 lanes so any of the guests that wanted to bowl could bowl for FREE. The reception was a huge success.

Ringer

I think that is great, not all of us has the money to put on a real high class affair. I think having a wedding at the bowling center sounds like a lot of fun. I would go if invited for sure.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by SpinBowler300 View Post
    My wife and I met at a bowling alley in a summer league. So, it made logical sense to us to have the reception at the bowling alley. It was a great time. We reserved the auxiliary bar. It has plenty of room. The buffet was prepared by the bowling alley and the food was great. We reserved 10 lanes so any of the guests that wanted to bowl could bowl for FREE. The reception was a huge success.
    Unlimited bowling, free shoes was all included. Most of the guests bowled a game or two, only a smattering did more than that. It was definitely a unique event to host and it went very smooth. The groom himself said it was 99% successful. The -1% was because our mic's kept cutting out during the blessing from the priest. He was very soft spoken so the mic had a hard time picking up his voice. They aren't as sensitive as the ones they have in church. I myself have a deep projecting voice so I have little to no problems on the mic. I was happy to be a part of the event, nice change from birthday parties.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I have no problems with the idea with the exception of 'Everyone paid their own bar tab'. Cheap out on the wedding, the reception, the food etc. but not the bar tab. At least a few hours of open bar.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    I have no problems with the idea with the exception of 'Everyone paid their own bar tab'. Cheap out on the wedding, the reception, the food etc. but not the bar tab. At least a few hours of open bar.
    For my sister’s wedding, my parents paid for an open bar and the catering hall had priced it tax and gratuities included. Dad just about blew a gasket when he saw the bartender put out a tip jar. Fortunately, Uncle Art was able to calm him down.
    John

I think it's a great idea!

Nothing wrong with an open bar. Open bar doesn't need to mean shots of Patron for everyone and Long Island Iced Teas. Whomever opens the tab for it can place restrictions such as no shots, no top shelf, well spirits or beer only etc. If people want what isn't covered then they are certainly allowed to buy it themselves if they really want it.

As far as tips, at least where I'm at we don't include gratuity in any transactions. The receipt is printed with a line that says "Tip" above "Total" and people can write in tips on credit card transaction at the end of every event, cash is preferred for tips of course. However, like many places today we don't have anyone prepay for anything including bowling. Everything is paid at the end. Only deposits are paid up front.

Including tips in transactions sounds good in practice because it ensures that you don't get stiffed. In the real world if tips are included you usually don't get anything more hence you end up making less. Not to mention they are all credit card transactions giving proof to big brother of every penny of what you made. Sure you get stiffed but the gains outweigh the loss.
    Bowling Center Manager