Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: off balance hop

  1. #1
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default off balance hop

    So I have had this hop at release since I came back a year ago. I don't remember having it before but I was in better shape then and might not have noticed it. Now 1/2 way through the 2nd game my knee starts getting sore.

    Anyway, initially, through the help of a few on here, we thought it was a timing issue. I have had a few fellow bowlers watch and I have recorded myself and my timing seems to be pretty close. What I am thinking now is my ball is too far away from my slide foot on release. I think I am also leaning out that direction so the ball is still in line with my head. I don't have good video of this as most of my videos focused on my hand and the ball. From what I can see it looks like the ball is about a ball width away from my slide ankle.
    I was also thinking about trying to release standing more straight up and down instead of bending so far down. I know this isn't proper form but we have a few 210+ average bowlers with a pretty unorthodox approach...lol. One stops about 5' before the foul line and releases standing straight up and averages 210....lol
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  2. #2
    Super Moderator

    JaxBowlingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville. Florida
    Posts
    1,479
    Blog Entries
    26
    Chats: 1305

    Default

    Do you plant instead of slide at the foul line?

  3. #3
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxBowlingGuy View Post
    Do you plant instead of slide at the foul line?
    I don't think I slide much, if at all. I tried the S10 sole and it didn't seem to help much and I actually fell twice on off balance shots where my toe was the only thing touching. I had a cheaper pair of Dexters with the S8 fixed sole so bought a better pair with interchangeable soles and still didn't help.
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  4. #4
    High Roller
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,808
    Chats: 13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So I have had this hop at release since I came back a year ago. I don't remember having it before but I was in better shape then and might not have noticed it. Now 1/2 way through the 2nd game my knee starts getting sore.

    Anyway, initially, through the help of a few on here, we thought it was a timing issue. I have had a few fellow bowlers watch and I have recorded myself and my timing seems to be pretty close. What I am thinking now is my ball is too far away from my slide foot on release. I think I am also leaning out that direction so the ball is still in line with my head. I don't have good video of this as most of my videos focused on my hand and the ball. From what I can see it looks like the ball is about a ball width away from my slide ankle.
    I was also thinking about trying to release standing more straight up and down instead of bending so far down. I know this isn't proper form but we have a few 210+ average bowlers with a pretty unorthodox approach...lol. One stops about 5' before the foul line and releases standing straight up and averages 210....lol
    If I understand you correctly, you hop to the left at the end of whatever slide you have, to keep from falling over to the left.

    There are at least two things that might help. One would be to practice just your swing, either with something like an Eileenís Bowling Buddys swing or power trainer or one of your bowling balls in a sling, in front of a mirror at home. The other would be a finish position drill. In this drill, you set up in your finish position, i.e. as much knee bend as is comfortable, right arm out for balance, etc. and swing the ball gently at the line. While this drill is usually done to focus on the release, you can use it to train your swing to keeb the ball closer to your ankle.
    John

  5. #5
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    If I understand you correctly, you hop to the left at the end of whatever slide you have, to keep from falling over to the left.

    There are at least two things that might help. One would be to practice just your swing, either with something like an Eileenís Bowling Buddys swing or power trainer or one of your bowling balls in a sling, in front of a mirror at home. The other would be a finish position drill. In this drill, you set up in your finish position, i.e. as much knee bend as is comfortable, right arm out for balance, etc. and swing the ball gently at the line. While this drill is usually done to focus on the release, you can use it to train your swing to keeb the ball closer to your ankle.
    Going to try a few things tonight. I did notice backing up and taking a longer last step helped a little but not completely. Going to have a teammate look tonight to see how close my ball is to my ankle and hopefully get video focusing more on my footwork. I think I have my release down pretty good so as long as my footwork doesn't mess up my release I should be good there. Just seems like my head and ball are too far away from my mid line. Part of my issue is I can't use my right arm so it has to stay in at my side so can't use that for counterbalance but I think that can be worked around.
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  6. #6
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Well I didn't focus on the hop tonight mainly because it didn't bother me. I definitely think I was much better with it tonight but the only thing I really did was took a little longer last step with my slide foot. I was too occupied with concentrating on my release that I didn't think much about my footwork. Knee is slightly sore but not bad at all. As long as it stays like this I'll be ok but once I don't have to think about my release then I will start focusing more on my hop issue
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  7. #7
    Pin Crusher Phonetek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    West Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,152
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Do you fall over more as the night goes on? If so....your problem may be a result of too many trips to the bar. =)
    Bowling Center Employee (Assistant Manager, Counter, Bartender and AMF Pinsetter Mechanic)
    Arsenal only consists of 3 balls currently "15# Hammer Rip'd (Sport Only)" & Faball Original Black Hammer (Spare Ball / Main THS) Venom Shock & 20+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH

  8. #8
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Do you fall over more as the night goes on? If so....your problem may be a result of too many trips to the bar. =)
    lol. no. no drinking involved...lol
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

  9. #9
    SandBagger GrumpyCatFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    284
    Chats: 0

    Default

    I tend to fall off my shot if Iím off-balance in my stance. Itís weird, but I have to focus on squaring up my hips before I start the approach.

  10. #10
    Cranker
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    917
    Chats: 0

    Default

    Tried to pay attention tonight and only noticed a hop a few times. The majority of the time no hop so getting better. Any no knee discomfort or soreness now either
    Arsenal "15# Radical Conspiracy" "15# Brunswick Kingpin" "15# Hammer Black Widow Gold" "15# Brunswick Rhino Black Pearl"
    Rev Rate about 325 @ about 17.5 MPH * High Game: 266 - High Series: ~670ish (both in the late 90's early 2000's)
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!
    I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •