Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The transition is real (first night with new ball)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I believe Rob was right. Left handers have a much easier time bowling. Their shot usually doesn't change much. When it does a little more or less speed will fix it. For right handers it is rare that you bowl more than 5 frames with having to make a big move. Then you may have to move back to where you were or make an even bigger move left. All the while moving your spot too. Watch you league mates who are left handed they usually look the same in the 1st frame of the 1st game as the 10th of the 3rd.

Chats: 32

There is some good information here. What I would suggest is to start make 2-1 moves to start once you get more comfortable with that you may want to experiment some to see exactly what works for you but that's always a good starting point. If your lefty just move right 2 boards with your feet and 1 board at the arrows is a good start.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I never paid much attention to the breakpoint since my ball usually had a smooth arc that started early. Never really had a 'breakpoint' to worry about. I always targeted at the arrows and adjusted feet till i hit the pocket.
    Regardless of the shape of your particular reaction, the oil is picked up by your balls and others, down the lane. This dissipation of the oil will affect your ball. I once had a tape taken after a four game trios league. There were some interesting results. The pattern which started at 41' was bone dry in the track area clear back to 34'. In other words, what started out as a 41' pattern ended up being a 34' pattern. What was also very interesting was that the breakpoint at 8 board was bone dry, but there was plenty of oil left at eleven board. Just because you are not familiar with the terminology does not mean that you can ignore what's happening to affect your ball reaction. One of the easiest ways to avoid learning something is to rationalize that it does not apply to you... it does!

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Regardless of the shape of your particular reaction, the oil is picked up by your balls and others, down the lane. This dissipation of the oil will affect your ball. I once had a tape taken after a four game trios league. There were some interesting results. The pattern which started at 41' was bone dry in the track area clear back to 34'. In other words, what started out as a 41' pattern ended up being a 34' pattern. What was also very interesting was that the breakpoint at 8 board was bone dry, but there was plenty of oil left at eleven board. Just because you are not familiar with the terminology does not mean that you can ignore what's happening to affect your ball reaction. One of the easiest ways to avoid learning something is to rationalize that it does not apply to you... it does!
    I think I'm confusing breakpoint. I'm thinking the point where the ball turns hard where I think you are meaning just the point on the lane where the oil ends? Thats why I said my ball really had no breakpoint.
    And isn't it hard to replicate this for practice? Really can only get this scenario in league play?

I know last week when I was practicing the guy I got the ball from stopped and was watching and made the comment that the heads get shredded when our league bowls. I'm guessing he meant with all the high rev bowlers they are tearing up the oil at the front of the lane?
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 256

I think I'm confusing breakpoint. I'm thinking the point where the ball turns hard where I think you are meaning just the point on the lane where the oil ends? Thats why I said my ball really had no breakpoint.
    And isn't it hard to replicate this for practice? Really can only get this scenario in league play?

I know last week when I was practicing the guy I got the ball from stopped and was watching and made the comment that the heads get shredded when our league bowls. I'm guessing he meant with all the high rev bowlers they are tearing up the oil at the front of the lane?
    The point at the end of the oil pattern where the ball encounters friction and starts to make its move on the lane is considered the break point. The break point will shift as the night goes on due to pick up of oil from the lane or carrydown depending on who is bowling with what equipment.

I rarely, if ever, get to practice on fresh conditions. The best practice can come from "burned" up or used lanes. That is when you can get the best use of a practice session to see what a ball can do, or not do, for you. USing varying lines to get to the pocket can be great practice.

Yes, tearing up the heads means that balls are removing oil from the first 10-15 feet of the lane. If you encounter friction too soon, your ball will lose it's energy hooking too soon and roll out. Projecting past the target at the arrows will help push the ball through the heads.
    Last edited by vdubtx; 01-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

There was a comment on here that I want to potentially bring a different perspective on in regards to the right vs. left handed difficulty; there are times when each have their advantages.

In your typical house league where the strategy is find a line and hope it stays I will agree that there are benefits to being left-handed. For the most part you will be able to find a line that works relatively easy in league and then make much smaller moves, there are also topography arguments to be made in this scenario. I am almost bold enough to make the blanket statement that left-handed bowling in a THS situation is an advantage. What people either forget about or do not realize is that as the shot gets harder and the level of team and competition improves you can argue the advantages of being right handed with this decreasing when talking about really long blocks. On difficult patterns I think we all know something about the concept of breaking down the pattern for your advantage (at nationals it is popular to throw very sanded equipment outside of the line, plastic inside of the line with the hopes of increasing your miss room), so the more competent your team and the more bowlers you have on a side you can accelerate the process of building the shot. This essentially takes the advantage of being alone on a side away and can make it more difficult since your precision has to be at a higher level.

In Rob's prior post about what do you pay attention to during bowling, the other advantage is the higher volume of bowlers to watch and make adjustments with. It is a lot easier to not get lost with 8 other bowlers telling you what they are doing that is and is not working.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    The point at the end of the oil pattern where the ball encounters friction and starts to make its move on the lane is considered the break point. The break point will shift as the night goes on due to pick up of oil from the lane or carrydown depending on who is bowling with what equipment.

I rarely, if ever, get to practice on fresh conditions. The best practice can come from "burned" up or used lanes. That is when you can get the best use of a practice session to see what a ball can do, or not do, for you. USing varying lines to get to the pocket can be great practice.

Yes, tearing up the heads means that balls are removing oil from the first 10-15 feet of the lane. If you encounter friction too soon, your ball will lose it's energy hooking too soon and roll out. Projecting past the target at the arrows will help push the ball through the heads.
    So I have seen what you are saying about the heads. Every once in awhile I set the ball down a little too early, like right at the foul line, and the ball crosses in front of the head pin. Doesn't happen often and probably an exaggerated example but I see what you are saying. I didn't notice it happen to me last night but last week when I practiced I did notice if I set it down too soon I would hit high and the ball 'rolled' rather than 'revved'
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I didn't notice it happen to me last night but last week when I practiced I did notice if I set it down too soon I would hit high and the ball 'rolled' rather than 'revved'
    You need to understand the five phases of ball motion: Skid, Hook, Hook-out, Roll, and Roll-out. The ball cannot roll until it stops hooking. The Revving up that you are talking about is when the ball has stopped hooking and is beginning to roll. This is where the ball is at its peak energy. The idea is to have the ball beginning to roll as it enters the pins. What you saw when you set the ball early was the ball going through the roll stage and begin to roll out before it got to the pins. This loss of energy results in loss of carry. Here again, you focus on what happens at or before the arrows, where the important stuff doesn't even start until the ball reaches the break point.

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    You need to understand the five phases of ball motion: Skid, Hook, Hook-out, Roll, and Roll-out. The ball cannot roll until it stops hooking. The Revving up that you are talking about is when the ball has stopped hooking and is beginning to roll. This is where the ball is at its peak energy. The idea is to have the ball beginning to roll as it enters the pins. What you saw when you set the ball early was the ball going through the roll stage and begin to roll out before it got to the pins. This loss of energy results in loss of carry. Here again, you focus on what happens at or before the arrows, where the important stuff doesn't even start until the ball reaches the break point.
    It wasn't so much that I focused on it but that I knew it was bad as soon as I let go. My hand wasn't in the right position, etc. I could have told you it was a bad ball even with my eyes closed it was that apparent. These were exaggerated shots that hit the floor at or even before the foul line but seeing the farther end of the spectrum helps to understand the effects. But I didn't understand why it would take off to the right almost right away. And there were 2 other bowlers with me and the one pointed out that if I sat my ball down about 3' from the foul line I looked perfect and right to the pocket but if I sat it down any earlier it just wasn't the same.

I never had much skidding because of playing the first arrow where it was pretty dry. I got a little (just enough to make it work I guess). But I get a bunch more when I get more in the oil and now that I'm getting a little more around the side of the ball. What I had been doing before last week was pretty much letting it roll off my fingertips with my hand directly behind the ball. Last week practicing I turned my hand in just a little and I open up my shoulders to get a little more under the ball. I'm still not real consistent with it, which didn't help matters last night.

Man, so much has changed in this game since 15 years ago. Like starting over...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

So someone threw a 900 series tonight using the Radical Conspiracy. I thought you might like to know Boatman37.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast