Thread: Do you call the center before going to open bowl?

Chats: 0

Default Do you call the center before going to open bowl?

I'm sure most of you are familiar with your local centers and their open bowl times but if you aren't....do you just pop in? One of the most common questions I get daily as you can imagine either by phone or in person "Any open lanes?" On any given day I get 20-60+ phone calls asking about open bowl. I don't mind saying the same thing each time if we do. "Yes we have lanes available, however they are first come first serve. No, I'm sorry....we don't take phone reservations, they are only taken online with a required deposit. Reservations online must be booked 3 hours in advance with our system. In the event you come and the lanes are full you can be placed on a short waiting list."

I have learned that one of the downfalls to a small 12 lane house, regardless if the place is empty or a few lanes are in use to NEVER promise a lane to anyone over the phone even if they say they are 15 minutes away. It has bitten me in the butt more than once. I'll say "Sure we have lanes available, come on in!". Within that time of the phone call and the 15 minutes it took them to get there suddenly a Greyhound bus pulls up with an entire fraternity and unloads a full capacity crowd in the blink of an eye. 15 minutes later the person on the phone promptly shows up and says "What the? You said you'd give me a lane!" It's such an awful feeling and I have to scramble to come up with some way to fix it.

It's worse when people just pop in without calling. Many times a full house reservation or league is there and I have to turn them away. I hate doing that, especially when they have kids. I don't like that look of disappointment as they sulk and walk away. I often say "Please call ahead next time to possibly save yourself a trip or go online and place your reservation to guarantee your lane" You have to be careful how you say that though, you don't want them to feel like an idiot. I usually follow it up by saying jokingly "Of course we're packed, we are the most happening place in town right!, that said we have pool tables and video games for the kids so it's not a completely wasted trip. For you parents....the bar IS open and I'd be happy to show you what we have. =)

The most disliked pop in is the one who only checked our website and it says we have open bowl on this day and time. When they get there we have an event or fully booked with reservations. When you tell they we are full until X:XX they get angry and say "You need to update your F'ing website because it says you have open bowl right now!!" then as the manager I get the pleasure of rebutting by saying "It also says 'Open bowl availability is subject to change, please call ahead to ensure lanes are available' or a couple more clicks and you could have booked a reservation." If they try to book one during an event, it will not allow them to make one which will prompt the phone call as to why. Thus, will avoid the entire situation.

It also doesn't hurt to ask if they have Cosmic or not so if you like or dislike it, you'll know what to expect ahead of time.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Ringer

good question. I would say most of us have a good feel for what the crowds will be like at the local center. but if I am planning on going at a suspected busier time I will call ahead to get a feel for what available. I cannot remember the last time I reserved a lane but i do believe it did require payment up front. I have been on some of those supposed short wait lists a few times.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Chats: 256

Nope, I don't call. My usual practice time is on Sunday mornings. One of my usual practice partners is at the center when it opens at 10am as he works in the pro shop Sundays. He always gets a pair of lanes first thing and I am always able to bowl with him. I usually show up at about 11am to bowl with him and get a few games in for the week.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

What is Bowling?

I call every time because of leagues, school practices and travel leagues. But I also feel like I’m being a pain calling all the time. I can see the guy working there running all the way from the back answering the phone out of breath.

I always call ahead to ask about open bowling. I recently retired so go during the week now. I used to go Sunday mornings when I was working. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Cranker

I never call, I'm there so much I know all the open bowling time and leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike546 View Post
    I call every time because of leagues, school practices and travel leagues. But I also feel like I’m being a pain calling all the time. I can see the guy working there running all the way from the back answering the phone out of breath.
    LOL That's what we get paid for. I admit it does become a pain, especially when you have 40 sets of eyes staring at you at the counter wanting shoes, lanes, drinks, food or whatever else but when the phone rings they just have to wait and that's that. Aside from the occasional idiot, most people understand. That same person would want me to talk to them first if they were the one on the phone too. Worst comes to worst I can put someone on hold for 30 seconds.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

SandBagger

Where I live, no I don't. There isn't enough traffic so there are almost always open lanes. Once in awhile they have it booked for a day, but that's usually a weekend and I don't bowl on weekends very often.

If it is an unfamiliar center, I will call. I want to check prices, deals, what days are best for open bowling, if I can find oil on the lane, and when I can avoid music (any music). Unfortunately, almost all centers play some incredibly annoying music (if you can call it that) and I have to try to block it out. I go at times when it's played more softly if they have to play it. I also will walk out if they shut off the lights.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank