Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Latest in New Bowling Ball Threads...

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Default The Latest in New Bowling Ball Threads...

I can't help but notice all the threads about the latest review of the greatest bowling ball that has existed since yesterday which is probably a remake of an older bowling ball with a new color and name. And then there are the threads about people buying these balls. No problem. If you've got money, have at it. I admit, it's fun getting a brand new shiny (or dull) bowling ball fresh out of the box and throwing it for the first time. Been there, done that.

But is anyone like I am? I don't buy new bowling balls anymore. I did last year (switching weights) but not anymore. I spend $150+ on a ball and then it doesn't work any better than someone I pull off the rack at Salvation Army. So guess where I shop now? My current arsenal consists of an Ebonite Endure ($4), a 900 Global Black Ops ($100 plus a trade, brand new - to be replaced soon when I get grips in my 15-year old Beast that was given to me), an Ebonite Mega X Particle ($5), an a T-Zone ($60).

I regularly see good bowling balls at second hand stores and they work better for me than the new ones do. I tend to get overreactions with new bowling balls and I can control the old ones much better. Plus, it means I can get "new" equipment for very little cost. To add to it, my uncle has a pro shop, so getting them adjusted and fitted with new inserts doesn't cost much (assuming he will let me pay him).

I think I'll keep shopping second hand. I've found it to be more fun than the new ball in the box.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

High Roller

I left bowling for 15 years and came back a year ago. I bought a bag and 6 used balls from somebody that was buying all new stuff. Went to the local pro shop and they wanted $70 each to plug and re-drill. A new ball of similar quality was $150ish drilled. Taking an unknown, oil-soaked ball with unknown use to save $75 just wasn't worth it to me. I struggled (still am) and would always wonder if it was the ball that was the issue. On top of that the new cores and coverstocks are night and day difference. I never got the carry I do now with my old urethane ball.
    Nothing wrong with it if it works for you but being a lefty with a far thumb any ball I will find will need re-drilled. There are guys in our league that sell slightly used balls for $50-60 but after spending $70 to re-drill I might as well buy new.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

SandBagger

I bowl thumbless, so the modifications for me are often minimal.

I also bought an old ball for $3 and gave it to my uncle. It had the correct span, so he just adjusted the thumb and put new inserts in it. A couple weeks later he said he bowled a 279 with it (his highest game). He also struggles with overreaction with new bowling balls.

Something about pro shops that I've found out:

Want to get a ball plugged and redrilled that you bought from them? $40. Want to get a ball plugged and redrilled that you bought elsewhere? $70+.

My teammate also purchases used bowling balls (Ebay and second hand stores), plugs, drills, and polishes them himself. You'd never believe they weren't brand new if he didn't tell you.
    Last edited by TCJ; 01-17-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

In all honesty it just depends on what your goals and expectations are while bowling. If the goal is to go to a local league night that plays on a THS and have a good time older equipment is fine - I would venture to say most of us on these boards would recommend a lesson over a new ball as the better investment. If you are bowling higher dollar leagues and multiple tournaments (events that have patterns, not most city/local association tournaments that just throw down a modified house shot) then you should start considering refreshing the arsenal every once in a while (with the more tournaments you bowl the more likely you are to "keep up with the Joneses" in regards to equipment). The thing that confuses/frustrates me is the house bowler who only bowls in their mom and pop league and has been convinced that they need a new piece every few months when in all reality they aren't getting a new look or reaction.

I will say that bowling ball companies do release more equipment than you would ever want to purchase - I know a few with ball contracts that get the newest piece each time it is released for free and across the board the sentiment is that even for their higher volume of bowling there is too many new pieces.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 32

In your situation TCJ it makes a lot of sense. I have a two handed friend very good bowler who usually buys used with his two hander style he can get a way with it. Personally myself I've attempted it but even with a friendly deal with the pro-shop it costs me $35 dollars to plug and re-drill if I pay $50 for the ball I've got $85 in it with no warranty on a ball I have no idea how much it has been used and the newer balls don't last like the older ones did. I can buy most of what I want brand new with a warranty for $150 or so. It's just easier for me to buy new. People do tend to buy too many balls in the modern world. I see guys who bowl one league no tournaments with 5 ball rollers lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

2018 New ball releases (I'm using the date on bowlingball.com, non-discontinued):

Storm: 10
    Roto Grip: 8
    Total Storm/Roto Grouping: 18

Hammer: 10
    Columbia 300: 6
    Ebonite: 9
    Track: 6
    Total EBI Grouping: 31

900 Global: 12

Motiv: 11

Brunswick: 17
    DV8: 7
    Radical: 4
    Total Grouping: 28
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

I picked up a New Radical The Fix but it hooks too much in THS. So it goes to reserve arsenal. Got a new DV8 Vandal Strike X-out, 59 bucks. Goes to reserve arsenal but at least I can use it a game or so. My old balls in bag Columbia Messenger Tec, Faball Truck, AMF Sumo. Work better then my new balls. So picked up used DV8 Hitman 59 bucks with perfect span. Plus a like new plugged Roto Grip Hyper Cell,51 bucks. And a Hustle HYB 30 bucks like new. Going to test my Columbia Overdrive and Ebonite Savage Flip before I use my newer balls. I was gone for 6 years from bowling. So still have a big stockpile of balls that didn't crack yet, LOL. So I see other bowlers buy 1 or 2 New balls a year where I go bowling. So I think most bowlers that bowl mainly TSH are okay with a few new balls and a few used balls.

High Roller

I bought 6 used balls when I first started back a year ago but none fit me so sold s couple and donated the rest to the center. Bought a used Storm Sync off a fellow lefty that fit good enough to use but when I went to get it re-drilled we found it was cracked. Since then I have bought 4 new balls (all listed in my signature). I also won a Pyramid Pathogen from here a few weeks ago but haven't drilled it yet. I have 4 good balls that each have their own characteristics so not planning on buying anymore till hopefully the beginning of next fall season.

Bought the Hammer Black Widow Gold about March 2018 and has about 100 games on it. Bought the Rhino about April 2018 and rarely use it so might have the equivalent of 2 games on it. Bought the Kingpin Julyish 2018 and have about 50-75 games on it. Just bought the Conspiracy a few weeks ago and have about 6 games on it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I bought 6 used balls when I first started back a year ago but none fit me so sold s couple and donated the rest to the center. Bought a used Storm Sync off a fellow lefty that fit good enough to use but when I went to get it re-drilled we found it was cracked. Since then I have bought 4 new balls (all listed in my signature). I also won a Pyramid Pathogen from here a few weeks ago but haven't drilled it yet. I have 4 good balls that each have their own characteristics so not planning on buying anymore till hopefully the beginning of next fall season.

Bought the Hammer Black Widow Gold about March 2018 and has about 100 games on it. Bought the Rhino about April 2018 and rarely use it so might have the equivalent of 2 games on it. Bought the Kingpin Julyish 2018 and have about 50-75 games on it. Just bought the Conspiracy a few weeks ago and have about 6 games on it.
    Good choice of balls you got in your bag. In March bowling alley will have a demo day, so maybe one more new ball till fall. Plus get my Hyper Cell drilled. And Hitman too test out.

I this fall returned to bowling after a 12+ year break, and I started over on equipment. I thought about getting used balls but am generally leery of not knowing its history. I did get one used ball (Hammer Spike) as the pro-show owner only rolled 25 games with it... and I always liked this older core. I also switched down in weight to 15 Lbs as I'm older now (freshly retired) and I'm not getting any younger...

Brunswick Kingpin Max, box finish
    Storm IQ Tour, box finish
    Hammer Spike, pearl, gold/black (used)
    Storm Tropical Storm, pearl, teal/blue
    Brunswick T-Zone, plastic spare ball

Depending on who is on my pair and what that they roll I usually start with the kingpin shooting 10 board _or_ the IQ shooting 15 board. I usually stay with my starting ball for the first two games _or_ for 5 boards of adjustment whichever comes first. By third game I usually switch to the tropical storm or the spike, which one is depending on how the lanes have become. I typically play inside shots with my second ball.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast