Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Sticking

Haven't had pitch or anything else checked. I am so new to the sport and it is my first ball. Tonight I will be visiting a different PSO and will get their opinion on the issue(s) I am having.

Played 5 games on Sunday without any problems. I am thinking the problem may be with hitting golf balls before league night bowling.

On a side note I had a very humbling experience on Sunday. Ran into one of the guys from league and his 11 year old kid. One game the kid bowled a 267. He half runs up to the line and it looks almost like he is dropping the ball onto the lane from about waist height. He gets a nice roll plus hook and obviously there has to be some consistency there to bowl a 267.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Good Luck

The new PSO identified 3 things with my original ball.
    1) The hole that holds my middle finger was a little off of where it should have been (cant remember if it was short or long of where it should have been)
    2) The finger holes were a little too tight so my fingers weren't getting deep enough
    3) The angle of the finger holes were a little off for my grip/hand

He drilled me a new ball and talked me into staying with a 15#'er. Bowled 2 games at the lanes where his shop is and averaged 30+ pins higher than my current average. Small sample size though. By the time I got home I was still itching to try the new ball more so stopped by my local alley. Through 6 games I only averaged 10 pins higher than my average but that was drug down by the last 2 games where I was definitely fatigued a bit. My ball speed had dropped significantly. The good news on the second session of the day is my new personal best is 245 which included 7 strikes in a row which is also a new personal best for strikes in a row.

No thumb stick issues whatsoever with the new ball. My big issue now is 10 pin leaves are more challenging. I may get the old ball re-drilled or may go to a plastic spare ball.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

That's great news. I bet with a proper grip now, the ball doesn't feel too heavy and you probably have a better release. A good PSO is worth it's weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    The new PSO identified 3 things with my original ball.
    1) The hole that holds my middle finger was a little off of where it should have been (cant remember if it was short or long of where it should have been)
    2) The finger holes were a little too tight so my fingers weren't getting deep enough
    3) The angle of the finger holes were a little off for my grip/hand

He drilled me a new ball and talked me into staying with a 15#'er. Bowled 2 games at the lanes where his shop is and averaged 30+ pins higher than my current average. Small sample size though. By the time I got home I was still itching to try the new ball more so stopped by my local alley. Through 6 games I only averaged 10 pins higher than my average but that was drug down by the last 2 games where I was definitely fatigued a bit. My ball speed had dropped significantly. The good news on the second session of the day is my new personal best is 245 which included 7 strikes in a row which is also a new personal best for strikes in a row.

No thumb stick issues whatsoever with the new ball. My big issue now is 10 pin leaves are more challenging. I may get the old ball re-drilled or may go to a plastic spare ball.

Now that is good news! Congrats. Having a ball plugged and redrilled might be in order for you. Don't hesitate to get it done if you liked that ball.
    I've had to go through some iterations where the pitches of both the thumb and finger holes were changed a couple of times. With the changes in USBC rules I've had a couple balls plugged and redrilled, while others I just had the balance hole plugged.
    10-pin leaves are telling you that you're hitting that pocket pretty good and should put a smile on your face. A nice shiny plastic or urethane spare ball might just be the ticket.
    Good luck!

The ball definitely feels better on the release and grip. I had been using a 3 step approach with the old ball for multiple reasons. With the new ball using a 4-step approach feels a lot more comfortable. I also feel more confident with a bigger arm swing.

I posted this in the "offset thumb" thread but I feel like my thumb release is the biggest issue with my accuracy right now. Went to my new to me PSO and he said that span was a touch too long and that was likely making my hand too tense thus the thumb not coming out as consistent as it should. I'm so new to bowling I've only used this one layout on all 3 of my balls so I'm excited to see how this change feels.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    The ball definitely feels better on the release and grip. I had been using a 3 step approach with the old ball for multiple reasons. With the new ball using a 4-step approach feels a lot more comfortable. I also feel more confident with a bigger arm swing.
    You'll be definitely better off with the 4 step vs. the 3 step. Very few players can get a 3 step correctly consistently. In a 3 step approach the ball ahs to start before the feet which is very hard to do.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Well that didn't go quite as I had planned. Last week we met the new owner of the alley and this week they decided to use a new oil machine... with less oil. My ball that was reacting so well just 2 nights ago is suddenly over-hooking. Very hard to control. I basically had to throw nearly as hard as I could to get the hook somewhat under control but then my aim started to suffer. If they are the same next week then I may try to take the ball up to 4000 grit to try to take some of the hook off of it.

I only had a few instances of the ball sticking on my thumb tonight. Much better than previous weeks but I also did not hit any golf balls before tonight's league play. Another guy in my league also noticed the same thing. There is something about league night that makes it different. Possibly so many bodies in a small area IDK. I didn't use any tape because it only started happening in the third game and it was only a couple of times. A little baby powder did the trick.
    Last edited by grumpter; 01-31-2019 at 11:17 PM.

The thumb stick issue continues to plague me and gets worse as the night goes on. I have definitely determined that hitting golf balls before league play is not the lone issue. Before league started I looked t my thumbs and to the naked eye I would say they were exactly the same size. By the third game there was a noticeable difference and had one throw stick all the way through the follow through. I may have to look into an interchangeable thumb system just for league night. It is not nearly as big of an issue when practicing alone or with one other person.

For league night my first game is by far the best, then second game drops a bit and the 3rd is by far my worst. 4 weeks in a row of the same thing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast