Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Sticking

Default Thumb Sticking

On league nights I seem to have a problem with my thumb sticking in the hole. I have been using baby powder which usually resolves the issue for a few frames during other sessions. Except on league night where it doesn't help as much. Last night during the second game it didn't help at all. The third game was better but still had an issue with it.

What are some things I can do for league night when either my thumb seems to be swelled up a little or there is some other issue? During the first throw of the night I could feel the air pressure build up as I inserted my thumb.

Chats: 32

Do you have tape in the thumb hole currently? If not have it sanded out to where you can add two pieces of thumb tape to the hole. Simply remove a piece or two when you are swollen slightly. You may want to have it drilled out slightly more and add a piece of the release tape you wear on your thumb also. It works well for me.

If your like me I have more thumb issues in the warmer weather so your probably going to have further issues later in the season.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Try to use fast release tape that goes on your thumb. I know it sound counter intuitive to add tape to your thumb since it will make the fit more snug but it reduces friction and lets your thumb come out cleaner.

Also two things, do you have a thumb slug or is your thumb hole just a hole drilled into your ball? I just found this out the other day, the slug is preferred because its a harder material and you'll stick less. As the bowling ball is a tackier material and has more potential of sticking.

2nd thing, is your thumb swelling and does it swell all the time that you bowl? If yes, then you might want to have your grip examined to make sure it is correct for you. I mentioned this in other threads but my brother in law struggled with hand pain and his thumb swelling all the time until I brought him to my pro shop in CT and they fixed his grip. Since then no more pain or thumb swelling.

I will try both the tape (inside the hole) and the Fast release (on the thumb) tape but not at the same time.

The ball does not have a thumb slug but good to know. My thumb doesn't swell too bad most times I bowl. Only league night for whatever reason but the sample size is only 2 league nights so far. Seeing the recommended PSO on Tuesday to switch to a lighter ball so will see how that goes.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by grumpter View Post
    I will try both the tape (inside the hole) and the Fast release (on the thumb) tape but not at the same time.

The ball does not have a thumb slug but good to know. My thumb doesn't swell too bad most times I bowl. Only league night for whatever reason but the sample size is only 2 league nights so far. Seeing the recommended PSO on Tuesday to switch to a lighter ball so will see how that goes.
    Having the new ball slugged is a good option to look into. Good catch Jason I didn't even think about that. Another long time trick is get some dry wall sanding screen from Lowes it works fantastic on thumb holes and leaves a slicker finish than the sandpaper most proshops use. it's perfect for on the fly small adjustments
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 55

I know this sounds stupid but it usually works. If your thumb isn't getting much larger, try this. In between shots stick your thumb into the thumb hold with a paper towel or napkin inserted with it. So in essence the napkin is around your thumb and inserted into the thumb hole of the ball. It does make the thumb a bit smaller, I am unsure why it works.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

SandBagger

Quick-fix: swipe the back of your thumb across the side of your nose. It worked for me back when I used a thumb. Of course, that's only if I was in between tape, or forgot tape, or the tape was too old, or I was being lazy.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

After reading one of Susie Minshew's books I've made it a habit to get to the alleys early and make sure my ball or balls fit well before starting. If they don't feel right, it's usually a tape issue in my thumb hole. I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't have a swelling issue or shrinkage. I bring enough tape and tools to make adjustments if necessary. Then I open up my little plastic box of tape and apply a custom cut piece of Storm's Thunder Tape I think it is. It covers both the pad side and the back side of my thumb with cuts in the middle so that it fits nicely when I fold it at the tip of my thumb. Then I take a ball and swing it to make sure I'm all set.
    I recall trying baby powder before I ever tried tape if I felt tightness. It didn't work very well. There's a product that does help and it's called Easy Slide. It was designed to keep your bowling shoe to slide easily, but it works great to loosen up a thumb hole in a pinch.
    Using a thumb slug works well. The coverstock of your ball may grab the back of your thumb more than the slug especially if it's dull. I may take a cut of a Scotch Brite pad and make it less dull. It will help smooth out your thumb hole a little more. Perhaps you could use sandpaper to fit instead.
    Another thing is that you may be trying to hold on to your ball with way too much grip. When you swing your ball, the ball should hold on to you rather than you holding on to the ball.
    Hope this helps...

I have similar problems due to a very flat and flexible thumb. Every time I get a ball drilled, it’s unuseable until I take it home to loosen it up.

I take a small 2” wide piece of sandpaper and hit the sides of the hole for a while, to make it more oval shaped. Then a piece of Ron C’s Magic Carpet on the back, and a piece or two of tape in the front.

This allows my thumb to come out somewhat sideways at the bottom of my swing, and allows me to hold on just a bit with the BASE of my thumb.

I think that this is what holds a lot of people up- instead of using the bottom of your thumb, like everything else you grab, you have to hold the ball lightly on the base.

Pin Crusher

Have you ever had your pitch checked to see if you have it right? Maybe you need a little reverse pitch. Have you ever tried a vent hole? I think they are still legal. It is a very small hole drilled in the ball into the thumb hold that lets air get in as the thumb comes out.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast