Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon saves my day!

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Those LEDs worked great! Nice job!
    I got some Corsair HD120 PC case fans for Christmas. My daughter and I played around with them while she was home for the holidays. They started up just fine, but then one of the fans LEDs began to mess up. We played around with the controller box and cables, etc. Found that one of the three fans with PWM fans and RGB LEDs didn't function correctly. Got an RMA from Corsair and a month later they finally shipped out a replacement. Glad I didn't get out any tools and soldering iron to try and fix the thing. I'd have burnt a hole in the fan's plastic case and really damaged the thing. I'm just a little disappointed in the customer service time to get a new one back...
    Yeah, I'd probably have torn it apart LOL At least you got a replacement. That's the one thing that does scare me about Amazon. You are dealing with them, not the company direct. I did have only one issue, I ordered brakes for my Tahoe and didn't realize until I tore it apart I had dual piston calipers in the rear vs. single piston. The rotors were fine, the pads were wrong. Since I ordered the wrong ones the company didn't want to swap which was fine. That was on me not them, they sent what I ordered. I had to go local to get pads but it was a negligible expense plus I had to eat a set of pads. I just gave them to a friend who works on cars, maybe they will fit on someone's car he'll work on.

One thing worth mentioning that really helps when you solder which I picked up. I got these glasses with a snap in lens and a nice bright LED light, GREAT for working up close. It came with 5 different lenses of different strengths. WAY better than holding a magnifying glass! Plus they are strong enough you can damn near see the DNA in your fingers. The second thing is a solder sucker that attaches to a soldering iron, it melts the solder and you just squeeze the bulb and poof! all the solder is gone! Such a godsend vs. messing around with solder wick. I get tired of burning my fingers working with that stuff.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

Those solder suckers are nice. I have one and have replaced capacitors, diodes, etc on circuit boards. Not my area of expertise but Google and Youtube help make me look smarter than I am...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

I took it in to have the front end alignment done now that I did all that work. What a difference! Now that all that is complete I can take care of the headlight circuit. These Trailblazers are notorious for melting the headlight connectors. Every 6 months or so for many years now it gets a black eye. It's always a melted connector. You'd think GM would have done a recall about it but apparently not enough deaths have resulted yet from vehicle fires. The problem has been traced all the way back to the headlight switch causing it.

My next order is going to be a new switch, both new complete headlight assemblies, fuse links and I already bought some ceramic pigtails that plug into the headlights themselves that cannot melt. I need all this stuff due to the damage caused. The connector melting caused so much heat it actually melted the headlight assembly to where you can't secure the bulb so it points every way but straight. The assemblies have a ton of sun fade, they are cloudy and they don't diffuse the light anyway.

The fuse links are to bypass the fuse box because that got so hot it melted too so now the fuse won't make contact. Currently I have the wiring for the high beams being used in the low beam sockets as a temporary work around. Needless to say I have no high beams but the switch is always on and because of it I cannot use my driving/fog lights either because they don't come on at the same time as the high beams. This has probably been the biggest headache with this vehicle of all, glad I'm finally able to do a permanent and fairly inexpensive fix. I was shocked to find on Amazon that I can get both headlight assemblies including headlights, high beams, parking lights, turn signals all included in addition to all new internal wiring for a mere 75 bucks for everything. The bulbs alone would cost more if I had to buy them all separately.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

Agree with you that Amazon sometimes has an item priced lower than you can find on the original vendor's site, even when it comes from the original vendor selling it though Amazon.

Also when I find that it typically is also related to automotive tools, parts and supplies, haven't really checked that out for other items though.

Glad to hear you are getting the vehicle all sorted out, and safe to operate on the roadways.

Yeah it definitely wasn't anything close to safe. Most of it was stuff that should have been replaced at one time or another before. Unfortunately, finances the way they have been it wasn't possible until now. For a while there I was doing the sign of the cross every time I got in it praying it would make it to the next place. Luck was surely on our side. After the headlights the next and last phase will be to tackle the check engine light. I have emissions coming up this year.

It's got quite a list of codes, most don't require replacing anything. For example, the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) code isn't a bad TPS, it's merely the throttle body needs a good cleaning. Carbon deposits build up around the flap keeping it from closing where it needs to causing the code. 10 minute job with a rag and parts cleaner and poof, no more code. Sometimes it's those little tricks is all it takes rather than throwing parts at it. Evap system codes are usually fixed by replacing the gas cap. LOL Silly but a cheap fix. Minor repairs is all it needs, a good tune up and some TLC and it will be good to go for several more years of faithful service.
    Bowling Center Manager

Chats: 10

A,Avon has always been good to me!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12