Thread: MOTIV Golden Jackal

Default MOTIV Golden Jackal

Description: The Golden Jackal is the fifth Jackal in the very successful series. It is the first pearl Jackal since the original, this time with the Hexion SE Pearl Cover. The box finish is 4000 Grit LSS (Laser Scan Sanded). It again uses the Predator Core, with an RG of 2.47 and a .055 differential. According to MOTIV’s hook scale it is their most hooking ball produced in the angular motion column.

Reaction: The Golden Jackal certainly provides plenty of hook on heavy oil conditions, however it doesn’t hook as soon or as much as the other two Jackals currently in the line, the Jackal Rising and the Jackal Ghost. Where the Golden Jackal differs is the extra length and shape it provides down lane, without all of the hook being in the front and middle part of the lane. For a ball designed for heavy oil, it allows me to open up my angles and provide plenty of shape down lane. I think the biggest statement that I can make is that if in any way you liked the original Jackal, don’t miss out on this release because that is what this ball reminds me of, the Golden Jackal is a little cleaner than the OG. I did a 70X5.5.X40 layout which is a weaker layout for me, basically the pin centered right above my fingers, the CG in my palm and the mass bias in my thumb. I wanted it to be a ball that I could use on the fresh in leagues, it allows me to get a little deeper and really use all of the hold on league patterns and yet provide a really nice shape when hitting that big friction spot to the outside. You will notice the Golden Jackal is in the Heavy Oil/Angular spot on the Ball Guide (http://www.motivbowling.com/ball-guide/).

Comparisons: The Trident Abyss is the exact opposite in shape in my opinion even though they are both designed for Heavy Oil, the Trident Abyss’s strength is in the front half of the lane while the Golden Jackal’s strength is in the back half of the lane. Depending on what type of heavier condition you are bowling on you’ll have two options of where you want your ball to read. Comparing the Golden Jackal to the Villain Scorn was also necessary in my opinion because they are both asymmetrical and in the Angular column. The Villain Scorn is cleaner and noticeably more angular, so if you need something a little stronger and a little smoother the Golden Jackal would be your best option.

Summary: Overall, this release allows me to play deeper lines and create more entry angle than I would with other high performance/heavy oil balls. Since the box surface is 4000 Grit LSS it also has the option to be even longer and more angular by polishing it (Which I have done and prefer). It also has some great shelf appeal too with that gold!

Mike Magolan
    MOTIV | Turbo | Brotherhood Sport Apparel | BowlerX, Staff Member

I got mine last night. I loved the reaction.