Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baking your balls?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post

If you do bake bowling balls, you have to make sure you stay under 135 or to be safe around 125, because the heat can damage the material in the ball.
    Exactly why I bought the temp probe. It was just a little cheap-*** battery powered grilling thermometer with an extended cord so I could hang the gage up to see it. My rig will hold 125 all day, and that's as high as I'll let it go.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    Baking (or reconditioning) your balls removes absorbed lane oil and restores the factory performance of a ball. The more porous the surface of a given ball the more frequent this will be need be done. I gather it's as often as every 25 games for some balls. The pro shop here charges $25 per ball and their oven is a stainless unit that rotates the balls and can do 2 balls at a time. I see at Amazon a personal unit that doesn't rotate the ball, is $190, and looks to be made with ABS plastic... I guess the pro shop got their oven someplace and my guess is it would be significantly more than the plastic unit

So I'm curious with your experiences on this topic...
    • Do you have your balls recondition at the pro shop and if so how often? (every 25 games, every 50, once a month)
      Do you own a recondition oven/device and if so can your describe or give make/model?
      More frequent and shorter bake time _OR_ Less frequent and longer bake time?
      Can you describe the performance difference of pre/post reconditioning and how long had that ball not been reconditioned?

I have a couple of new balls that need reconditioning periodically and I'm toying with getting a oven, what models do people have/avoid. My budget is somewhat limited but it's not completely sour.

Thanks in advance
    Brad

In regard to The Dehydrator/Rice cooker type ball deoilers like this:

While I don't have one I made my own years ago, It's based on a old Magic Chef dehydrator and a bucket. The Nu-ball and innovated ones are well reviewed I haven't seen any reviews that said anything particularly bad about them. If you do a do forum search there are several threads about them, most have considered them worth the money.

diy ones are popular also.

As for de-oiling a ball, If you religiously clean your equipment you can almost eliminate the need to de-oil a ball. But A lot depends on the conditions you bowl on the most and coverstock used, so the number of games can vary.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 221

I have the Inovative ob\ne and it works great. I charge pople $10 to de-oil and refresh the surface. It paid for itself in less than 6 months
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    I have the Inovative ob\ne and it works great. I charge pople $10 to de-oil and refresh the surface. It paid for itself in less than 6 months
    Hmmm maybe I'm under charging people when doing it for $5 for each
    thing maybe it's time to try going for myself a raise. LOL!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Hmmm maybe I'm under charging people when doing it for $5 for each
    thing maybe it's time to try going for myself a raise. LOL!!!!
    Hmm....maybe I should offer people a de-oiling and resurfacing service myself. I've never even thought about it. =P

Chats: 221

i also offer it for $5 if I'm plugging and re-drilling a ball for them
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Last time I try that! I have one of those EdenPURE heaters. Where the air comes out it's around 110 degrees. I put my Brunswick Cutting Edge about a foot from where the air comes out and left it there for 4 hours or so. Went to clean it. Didn't really see much difference from when I normally clean it. Then I put my Storm MatchUp in front of it and came back to this.... bummer.

High Roller

That sucks. That ball looks just like the Storm Sync I bought off a fellow league member. I never baked it. Can't say whether he ever had but I had used the ball a few times then set it on a chair in my office. A few weeks later it looked like that.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 1

I have this routine of cleaning my balls before and after a set. I also own a "Polish your ball" kit, and refresh the surface every month or so. I've seen that video from Creating the Difference as well. When you bake a ball, you are also removing some of the plasticizers (sp?) from the ball. They say that the ball has a better chance of cracking. The only ball that I had rejuvenated eventually cracked. It was a Storm Street Rod.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

High Roller

I clean mine after each night and have CTD pads but only use those every 30 or so games. Looking to buy a ball spinner soon so hoping to keep mine in top shape after that. Happy with the 4 balls in my bag now and no plans of buying anymore anytime soon.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12