Thread: 50 Below

Chats: 0

Default 50 Below

In the midwest, we are currently experiencing record breaking temperatures of -50. It's so ridiculous cold here than even a polar bear or penguin would be miserable. This is one of those times where I'd like to hear how global warming is causing our climate to be warmer than it should be. I'd hate to know what it's supposed to really be like.

On the upside, even though just about everything out here is closed, the post office isn't delivering and the waste services aren't picking up....our bowling center is OPEN for business! LOL SMH. A valiant effort and probably looked good on paper but I can honestly say that sometimes it's best to follow suit. In the past two days I can count on one hand how many people came in.
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

I'm likely a little West of you and the lowest temperature that I saw was -25 degrees F this morning at about 7:30 AM. It's now getting better with -5 degrees F.
    The leagues I'm in didn't play this week. Kind of missed the chance to go out, but happy they made good choices.
    We'll have to go out tomorrow as it's supposed to get up to +23 degrees.
    I've seen a lot of cold weather in Chicagoland, but never like this.
    I told my wife about my working at US Steel years ago and having to walk miles from the gate to the blast furnace in snow piled up 3 or 4 feet and below zero temps each day for a week or so.
    Several of the guys either couldn't make it into work or they couldn't get back home. I had no problem getting in and out as I94 was wide open to the exits I used each day. With little or no traffic it was easier than normal to get back and forth. Guess I didn't get paid any overtime like some others did...

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I'm likely a little West of you and the lowest temperature that I saw was -25 degrees F this morning at about 7:30 AM. It's now getting better with -5 degrees F.
    The leagues I'm in didn't play this week. Kind of missed the chance to go out, but happy they made good choices.
    We'll have to go out tomorrow as it's supposed to get up to +23 degrees.
    I've seen a lot of cold weather in Chicagoland, but never like this.
    I told my wife about my working at US Steel years ago and having to walk miles from the gate to the blast furnace in snow piled up 3 or 4 feet and below zero temps each day for a week or so.
    Several of the guys either couldn't make it into work or they couldn't get back home. I had no problem getting in and out as I94 was wide open to the exits I used each day. With little or no traffic it was easier than normal to get back and forth. Guess I didn't get paid any overtime like some others did...
    Yep, I've been to US steel several times. Not the best work environment. Especially being right by the canal with rats you can put a saddle on and the occasional dead body floating by. The temp is going up now, the worst is gone. It's supposed to get up to +47 on Sunday. That's going to feel like summer around here. The moron who never wears a coat at work will probably come in wearing shorts. He told me last night, "Coats are for wimps" and I said "Us wimps never call in sick like you do all the time"
    Bowling Center Manager
    Arsenal consists of mainly 15# Motiv balls, I have several now and they are the bomb! Too many to list and carry. Still have a couple Hammer balls and my AMF RPM Swirl (old reliable) & 25+yr old Linds worth a mention
    Currently 535+ Rev Rate @ 19 MPH (This probably needs to be updated, I think I've toned each down a click or two these days. I'm letting the ball do more of the work as I get older.)

High Roller

It was about -10 here in Pittsburgh. Not as bad as you guys but we broke the record 2 days in a row. I used to work in a steel mill and we had a blizzard in '93. A few guys called off but a bunch rode their snowmobiles to work, including my dad. He lived about 10-15 miles from the plant and rode it there and back.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

My dad used to ride the snowmobile to the bar. LOL Not even a blizzard stopped him! =)
    Bowling Center Manager

Ringer

wow, I guess we got it good right now out west. I have seen some of the weather reports from your area.
    in the bag Pyramid Pathogen X, Ebonite Purple Stinger, Elite polyester spare ball
    Southpaw

Chats: 55

And I was complaining about it being in the low 50s and a chance of rain this weekend with highs in the low 70s!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Yeah I’ll never complain about the weather again. Yeesh.

The below zero stuff snapped, it's +30 currently.....feels like summer. Now if the snow would quit stacking up maybe we could get rid of it for a while. I'm sure a lot of flooded basements are in the near future. Luckily for me I live on a steep hill so I'll be alright. One of the few times it's an advantage.

Otherwise it sucks, cutting the grass, shoveling the driveway or trying to get up it in the truck while it's covered in ice or trying to jack up my truck to work on it. That's not fun when it's already on a huge angle. You fall on the ice on my driveway, you keep sliding until you hit the bottom, found that out more than once. Either way, I'm glad it's warming up.

Now I won't worry about death if the power goes out and stays out for hours. We lost power for 5 hours overnight when it was -50. I was getting ready to pile everyone in the car and head to mother in laws. The temp dropped super fast in the house, it got down to 48 from 74 in that short of time. It feels a lot worse than it sounds, trust me on that one.
    Bowling Center Manager