Thread: Did any of you folks have this happen to you..............

Chats: 0

Default Did any of you folks have this happen to you..............

This was in the late 70s when me and my friends joined a mixed league that had us playing every Friday night. Well at that time I got my first fingertip ball which was a Columbia yellow dot. It was a soft plastic ball that could get some hook. One day me and two of my partners went to practice. So we were bowling and just trying to get better with our shots. It was getting a little warm and my thumb started to swell up some and my thumb started hanging up in the thumb hole. So I just thought that I would throw the ball a little harder so it would come off my thumb better. Well, I found out that doesn't work and it almost was a disaster. I made my approach and when I swung my ball faster my thumb got caught in the ball and the ball came flying right back to my face. I was able to keep it from bashing me in the puss. My buddy Greg thought that is was funny and he laughed pretty good. I told him that I didn't think it was funny at all. So I had to take my ball to the bowling store to have my thumb hole made just a little bigger.

I saw a guy that was bowling on our league night and his thumb hung up but his ball came off his thumb but he almost hit the ceiling tile above the alley. When that ball came down it hit the alley with a bang. Some of the people were laughing and so did the guy that it happened to. So things like this do happen so I was just wondering if any of you had something similar to this happen to you.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

With me it was an Ebonite Signiture. My dad had bought it for me in the spring and when the league started back up in the fall, my first shot was a lob 10 or twelve feet up and out to the arrows. For the next several years it became an annual event to get the thumb redrilled or sanded before league started.
    John

Just happened to me last week actually. I recently got a new ball, and didn’t have it quite fitted right.

I sanded the sides of the thumb hole, and beveled the crap out of it. Now it fits like a dream.

Chats: 1

Not to me, but in the '70s, our informal college team was practicing. One of the bowlers who had a high back swing was eating fries with his bowling hand. He neglected to wipe his hand. He ended up throwing the ball straight back, fortunately missing everything but the wall.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums