Thread: Ball Surface.

Chats: 0

Default Ball Surface.

So this past weekend my buddy let me his sanding pads. I used 1000 grit on my Creed and Creed Rebellion. I hit them lightly didn't get to to crazy with it and they were like brand new balls. I shot 730 even though I made a few shot mistakes the ball recovered and was just impressed with how well it reacted after hitting them with the pads. So my question is how many of you use sanding pads on your equipment and how often? Open to suggestions as well how to improve ball maintenance I already hit them with tac up after every set.

Chats: 4

I usually bring mine home after 30 games and put them on my
    ball spinner and hit them with a pad and every so often I'll do a
    complete resurface on them after about 60 games or thereabouts.

I always use a leather shammy to wipe down the ball between
    frames and I use a ball cleaner and wipe them down after we
    get done bowling.

I'd suggest you keep on hitting them with tac up after you get
    done bowling for the night and then and then hitting them with
    the pads every 30 or so games and then getting them resurfaced
    at your local pro shop every so often.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

300 nailed it on the head.

Just proper maintenance can make these balls act almost as good as out of box. I usually sand after about 30-40ish games, with a nice cleaning after every set of games. Using pads to sand can result in different reactions based on the grit, so it's good to look into how fine/rough you want it to sand.

When you guys sand are you using a spinner or is it okay to do it by hand?

Chats: 256

I use TruCut pads to sand my equipment. I usually do after about 40-60 games or so. My favorite is right at about 2000 grit.

If I am just doing one ball I will do by hand, just lightly go over the entire surface with a 2000 pad. But, if doing a couple balls, I will use my spinner at home using a 500 first and then the 2000.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

As people are saying above, I also clean any equipment that I used that day after I'm done with my set and try to wipe the ball down with my leather pad between shots.

In regards to resurfacing/refreshing I will be the first to admit that I get pretty lazy with this during the league grind. I will lightly touch equipment with surface during practice/warm-up if I notice that my reaction is close to what I want and it just needs a little tweaking. I will try and do a resurface every 50-100 games but I personally don't have the motivation to do so when league comes around; if a tournament is around the corner I will always do a full resurface of all of my equipment.

Something else I just tried was to detox one of my pieces and I will say it has really brought the ball back to a good reaction (I don't know that new is the correct way to describe it, but definitely better). If you are about to give up on a ball this may be something to try before replacing.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Rubbing alcohol also works incredibly well to remove oil from the surface. Better than tac-up imo

Chats: 1

I use the system from polishyourball.com to resurface my equipment. It fits onto your drill. So far, it's done a pretty decent job. I refresh the surface about every month and a half or so.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums