Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often are changing balls in league?

Default How often are changing balls in league?

In my league where we're bowling 3 games a night I see guys that will go through 3-4 balls by the times the night is over. Is this normal? How often are you guys changing balls on average?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mx1alex View Post
    In my league where we're bowling 3 games a night I see guys that will go through 3-4 balls by the times the night is over. Is this normal? How often are you guys changing balls on average?
    It's a little different for everyone. Myself I rarely need to change for a 3 game set if I do it's once. My wife on the other hand may change 3 times I think it effects her mental game more than her physical as the changes don't always make sense. The larger percentage of bowlers if they are constantly changing are lost though and people tend to blame their reaction to the ball instead of where they are attempting to play.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

More often than not, I only need my benchmark and a spare. It's all depending on how the oil is breaking down. Some people in my league swap every game. I agree with Ameyers, it's easier to blame the equipment "not working" than it is to admit you're having an issue.

Most sessions I'll use two different balls, but bring four with me. Last night I saw most of the guys changing balls and watched the lanes changing for everyone. I used a Hy-Road Pearl and played the same shot until the last two frames of the game. Rather than targeting board 13 at the dots I decided to target a board farther left and finished well.
    Making a decision to change balls usually has to do with who you're team is bowling against IMHO. Apparently last night no one was messing with where I was playing much at all. It was almost like what it was when I was a kid bowling with my Black Beauty on wooden lanes.

I think Ameyers hit the nail on the head. Most of the bowlers who are constantly changing balls are the ones who are trying to stay in their comfort zone, rather than playing the lanes the way they (the lanes) want to be played.

Chats: 256

Unless I am in my Thursday late league where the lanes are typically drier, I usually wont change balls unless I am really not getting a good read from the lane or ball. If anything I will change balls on one lane at a time. I don't just change ball on both lanes unless the read is showing me exactly the same on both.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Between bowling in leagues with only two or three people per team, bowling against team with lots of lefties, and a center that puts down a house pattern with a decent amount of oil, I usually don’t have to change balls except to shoot spares.
    John

Chats: 1

It usually depends on who is bowling on the lanes with me. I prefer playing straighter, if there is a lot of traffic where I'm bowling, I'll move further inside. I'll test multiple lines and balls during warm-ups, it's one of the advantages of being in a trios league. We get the same 10 minutes of warm-up as the 5 person team leagues.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I typically do not change balls during league. I look for my best reaction during practice and just move left as the night goes on. I only take three balls and a spare ball to league. This past Tuesday I ended up moving in 8 boards by the end of the night but there are nights I only move a couple. I can usually find a shot in 4 or 5 practice shots and make my ball decision then. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Quote Originally Posted by SRB57 View Post
    I typically do not change balls during league. I look for my best reaction during practice and just move left as the night goes on. I only take three balls and a spare ball to league. This past Tuesday I ended up moving in 8 boards by the end of the night but there are nights I only move a couple. I can usually find a shot in 4 or 5 practice shots and make my ball decision then. Steve
    This is a really good post! If you are willing to move, rather than just changing balls, you will find that the amount you have to move will depend on the other bowlers on the lane. Sometimes you move a lot. Other times you move a little, but the bottom line is that YOU HAVE TO MOVE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast