Thread: got a few practice games in today

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default got a few practice games in today

Being a holiday for me I decided to get a few game in today. Lanes were pretty dry in comparison to our Tuesday night league but that was fine by me. Still had an oil track on the ball but it was about 2 boards dryer than usual. I got all 4 balls out and used them all. Game 1 I didn't record anything and just tried all 4 balls randomly using different lines just to get a good baseline comparison between them. Game 1 was a 135 but wasn't concerned with scores. My main objective was consistency and slowing my speed down to improve my accuracy. We normally bowl on 25-40 for our leagues but I was on 7 today. Last time I practiced I was on 10 or 11 and I noticed I am much slower down there so it's either that the sensors aren't consistent somewhere or that I just calm down and go slower when by myself. But today I was around 16 MPH give or take a few tenths. Normally I'm around 17.2-18.0. 4 of my teammates are right around the 16 mark too so I'm about 1.5-2 MPH faster than them. Will find out tomorrow if it was me or the lanes. Another thing I'm working on is trying to stand up straighter when I release. I had been bending way down to try to set the ball on the lane but have been struggling with balance and sore legs (I'm 6' tall and 270lbs....lol). Seem to be more consistent when I stand up straighter.

On to details...My Conspiracy is OOB 3000 (wet), the Kingpin is OOB 1000 (dry sanded), the Black Widow Gold is 2000 unpolished (dry sanded), and the Rhino is 500 dry unpolished. All using CTD except the Conspiracy which the PSO did with whatever pads he uses. I tried the 2nd arrow with all 3 balls (the Rhino is mainly for spares but tried a few strike balls with it). The BWG is about 2 boards stronger than the other 2 balls and was going Brooklyn every shot if I stayed in the same spot as the other 2 balls. The Kingpin and Conspiracy are very close to each other when targeting the 2nd arrow but when targeting anything outside of the 10 board the Conspiracy goes longer and turns in harder than the Kingpin (should this be expected?). The Kingpin seemed to read slightly sooner than the Conspiracy when targeting the 10 board but I could still stand in the same spot with either ball, just slightly different shape.The BWG hit pretty good when going inside the 10 board as the extra oil calmed it down a little.

I never really got to test all 3 balls out side by side for a good comparison before today and haven't used the BWG since I got the Conspiracy mainly because I wasn't sure how it would react since I hit it with the 2000 the last time.

Key points I'm working on...standing up straighter on my release (which seems to help me slow the ball down a little), also I normally start out with the ball near my hip but tried a few starting with the ball closer to my chest and that seemed to help a little too. Also working on consistency and spares.

I also tried the Rhino from the 7 board and it came in to the pocket nicely so I do have that option. It is about 1.5 boards weaker than the Kingpin and Conspiracy so if we get real dry conditions I have that to play from the outside.

I alternated balls and lines almost every shot today. No real reason other than to try to compare them and maybe try to get myself outside of my comfort zone. I tend to migrate to a spot and don't want to move so using all 3 balls forced me to move around a little.

I was going to polish the BWG but that might be a little too much? I'm thinking a 2500 would be pretty good for that as it is a little too strong for me as it is. 3000 might be too far?

Anyway, wasn't worried about scores but had a 158, 177 and 202 (had back to back 6-7-10's in that last game)

Last edited by boatman37; 02-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

Your using 500 unpolished on the ball your using for spares? That's kind of nuts if I understood that correctly. You should have that 500 polished at least. The BWG I would suggest a 500/polished or 1000/ polished surface with you have the conspiracy and the king pin for higher volume shots differentiate the balls some in my opinion anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Your using 500 unpolished on the ball your using for spares? That's kind of nuts if I understood that correctly. You should have that 500 polished at least. The BWG I would suggest a 500/polished or 1000/ polished surface with you have the conspiracy and the king pin for higher volume shots differentiate the balls some in my opinion anyway.
    I only use the Rhino for the 7 pin. All other spares I use my strike ball. I had been using the Kingpin for the 7's for awhile. I like that little bit of grip in case I get it out a little too far. When the Rhino was OOB (500 polished) I missed to the outside too much as the ball would slide right off the ledge if my accuracy was off. The Conspiracy and BWG turn in too much at the end for the 7 but are good for the 4. When the Rhino was OOB I missed way too many spares and left it in the bag for months. I use the same release for every shot, whether it's strikes or spares.

The BWG was 1000 polished OOB. I haven't tried it with that finish since I modified my release so might try that. I used to keep my hand almost directly behind the ball but lately have been turning my wrist in slightly to come up the side of the ball a little more. I'm doing that statically meaning keeping my hand in that position and not rotating it through the release. I have been getting a little more revs this way. The BWG at 1000 might be a good in between with this release. I don't really see a need for a ball as strong as the BWG is with this finish in league conditions unless I needed to go way inside. About 80% of the time I'm targeting the 7 board. I really like the way the Conspiracy plays out there. I get a nice angle into the pocket from there. I just need to get a little more consistent. I never thought it would take this long to get back to where I waws 15 years ago. I'm still about 15-20 pins below where I was then. I figured a few months to get there....lol. It's been just over a year now...lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    I only use the Rhino for the 7 pin. All other spares I use my strike ball. I had been using the Kingpin for the 7's for awhile. I like that little bit of grip in case I get it out a little too far. When the Rhino was OOB (500 polished) I missed to the outside too much as the ball would slide right off the ledge if my accuracy was off. The Conspiracy and BWG turn in too much at the end for the 7 but are good for the 4. When the Rhino was OOB I missed way too many spares and left it in the bag for months. I use the same release for every shot, whether it's strikes or spares.

The BWG was 1000 polished OOB. I haven't tried it with that finish since I modified my release so might try that. I used to keep my hand almost directly behind the ball but lately have been turning my wrist in slightly to come up the side of the ball a little more. I'm doing that statically meaning keeping my hand in that position and not rotating it through the release. I have been getting a little more revs this way. The BWG at 1000 might be a good in between with this release. I don't really see a need for a ball as strong as the BWG is with this finish in league conditions unless I needed to go way inside. About 80% of the time I'm targeting the 7 board. I really like the way the Conspiracy plays out there. I get a nice angle into the pocket from there. I just need to get a little more consistent. I never thought it would take this long to get back to where I waws 15 years ago. I'm still about 15-20 pins below where I was then. I figured a few months to get there....lol. It's been just over a year now...lol
    It probably seems strange to me as I'm more lower speed rev dominate bowler. I'd have a hard time keeping a plastic ball at 500 on the right side of the lane more less shoot a ten pin with it. I averaged over 200 when I was younger now I have trouble getting back their myself and it's been 5 years for me lol. A 25 year break has that effect.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

High Roller

Yep. I was at 193ish when I quit in 2002. Now can't get over 177. The biggest reason is my spare shooting. I was never a heavy strike bowler but rarely missed spares. Seems like I get more strikes now but miss too many spares. I always used my old Cobalt Rhino for every shot back then.

Yeah I'm more speed dominant but trying to change that mainly to lighten the wear and tear on my body. I have shoulder issues already but so far they haven't affected my bowling. I figure the harder I throw the more chance of aggravating it.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

High Roller

FWIW-with the BWG I was standing with my left toe on the 15 board (right toe would have been about 20 board area) and rolling over the 10 board. Not sure how far out at the breakpoint though. The Kingpin and Conspiracy I was about 2 boards further left with my feet.
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!