Thread: New ball = New attitude?

Chats: 10

Default New ball = New attitude?

Well I’ve been struggling of late. I know it wasn’t the ball, it was me missing my mark, feeling down on my bowling of late and more. But none the less, I bought a new ball. Today I shot a 664 with it. Nearly 100 pins over average at this house. Bought the Idol Peral by Roto Grip. Love the ball. But besides what the ball itself brings, I think getting a new ball also helps bring a new and positive attitude to the bowler. I felt great after bowling this morning. Shot a good series. I was more focused. Felt positive while bowling.

Does anyone else feel more positive and energetic when using a new ball?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

High Roller
    Chats: 0

That has happened to me. I know the ball isn't the problem but sometimes if I'm struggling with my consistency I will switch balls and all of the sudden I'm hitting my mark. Definitely a psychological thing but I have see it more than once for me. And with my new Conspiracy I'm bowling about 10 pins higher but I'm pretty sure it's more me than the ball.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

You got a pretty good one I'd say. Getting a new ball is kind of like Christmas morning to me sometimes.
    I've bought quite a few and need to weed some out. Have learned quite a bit along the way and continue learning.
    Taken time to take notes on the use of each ball and have gotten pretty close at being able to switch from one ball to another without getting lost on the lanes.
    Besides normal physical errors I make I find that not making adjustments quick enough is probably one that keeps me from improving my average.
    The worst is leaving the three pin on my first ball. Next is going too high and getting an unmakeable split. Oh well...
    Good luck with the Idol Pearl. Looks like going down the lane and can snap hard...

Cranker

Always exciting to get a new ball. It seems in my mixed league whenever anyone gets a new ball they are 10-20 pins above average for the first few weeks and I always kid with them by saying, "nothing strikes like a new ball".

Personally I think it's 2 things, the fresh surface on the ball and probably the confidence a new ball brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Well I’ve been struggling of late. I know it wasn’t the ball, it was me missing my mark, feeling down on my bowling of late and more. But none the less, I bought a new ball. Today I shot a 664 with it. Nearly 100 pins over average at this house. Bought the Idol Peral by Roto Grip. Love the ball. But besides what the ball itself brings, I think getting a new ball also helps bring a new and positive attitude to the bowler. I felt great after bowling this morning. Shot a good series. I was more focused. Felt positive while bowling.

Does anyone else feel more positive and energetic when using a new ball?
    It's fun to get a new ball to show off/work with. I love being able to start it up and pound with it right out of box. It's like getting a nice new pair of shoes, you gotta strut your stuff lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    I think getting a new ball also helps bring a new and positive attitude to the bowler.
    I'm not disputing your point of view but do you think also since it was new you put less pressure on yourself knowing it was new and might take so time to get use to it?

I know I often put pressure on myself needlessly because I'm a perfectionist.