Thread: Brackets Question

Chats: 10

Default Brackets Question

When our league bracket games are a bowler short, the person running them will put money in and pick a bowler. But if that bowler wins, the bowler gets none of the winnings! True the bowler didn’t pay, but he did bowl. What are your thoughts? Should the bowler get a piece of the winnings?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    When our league bracket games are a bowler short, the person running them will put money in and pick a bowler. But if that bowler wins, the bowler gets none of the winnings! True the bowler didn’t pay, but he did bowl. What are your thoughts? Should the bowler get a piece of the winnings?

Most brackets I've seen when they are one player short just use a "Bye". I don't think the bracket operator should be doing it.

Now I've seen a similar question get asked every so often here and on other forums. About when someone puts a player in the brackets and they don't know it, should you give the player a cut or not if they win.

I've never seen a consensus on the answer and I don't think there is a straight forward answer.

There are those think they (the player) should get a cut, those that don't think they should, players that get bent out of shape if they find out you put them in brackets in the first place, players that didn't care that you put them in, a lot players that don't seem to care if you put them in and they don't know it unless of course you win then they cared.

"True the bowler didn’t pay, but he did bowl." but he didn't share in the financial risk either. Theres no clear answer it's all going to depend on the people involved at the time.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I have a cheapskate on my bowling team who won't even pay $3 to get in mystery. I put the money in for him and if his numbers win, he gets nothing. I get the money. if you don't pay any money, you're not entitled to any money.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If a person puts in the effort to do the work (collecting the money and assigning the positions) they should be allowed to make the rules. You don't like the way it is done don't get in. As long as they are honest about it their word is law.

Chats: 256

On Tuesdays, my teammate runs the brackets and high pots. For awhile I would pay in to get in the high pots, then he stopped making me pay saying he's got me in. Usually when I won he would give me whatever it was I won. Last couple weeks though he hasn't given me anything for it. I am going to start paying in again, so I can at least get something for my good bowling.

I don't really get into brackets much, but my team mate will occasionally put me in if he needs to fill them up. Only a few times did he give me any cut of it. It's not that I should expect it since it's not my money going in, but my performance making him money, he should give a little. He is making a couple $100 a night with his cut of the brackets anyhow.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Pin Crusher

Wow that is a lot of brackets if he cuts like out guy does. $5 per bracket. To get 200 that would mean 40 brackets.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Wow that is a lot of brackets if he cuts like out guy does. $5 per bracket. To get 200 that would mean 40 brackets.
    Yep, there is regularly 40-50 brackets weekly. It's a 40 team league, 5 man rosters.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Pin Crusher

That is a lot of work.