Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which polish?

High Roller
    Chats: 0

Default which polish?

Thinking of ordering a spinner and polish but looking at the different polishes I have no idea which to order. What is commonly used? Any to avoid? What do you guys prefer? Will only be doing my own stuff and probably would only polish 1 or maybe 2 of mine and possibly for others but I don't plan to advertise for that.

Right now I use Motiv ball cleaner and used Ultra Clean before this bottle. I see the Motiv polish on the PSO shelf and think he uses that.
    Last edited by boatman37; 02-27-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    Thinking of ordering a spinner and polish but looking at the different polishes I have no idea which to order. What is commonly used? Any to avoid? What do you guys prefer? Will only be doing my own stuff and probably would only polish 1 or maybe 2 of mine and possibly for others but I don't plan to advertise for that.

Right now I use Motiv ball cleaner and used Ultra Clean before this bottle. I see the Motiv polish on the PSO shelf and think he uses that.
    I think most brands of polish are fine, see if they list what grit the polish is. I've used Storm Reacta Shine which is a cleaner and polish and I believe is 1500 grit. But if you have a spinner, you can just use higher grit sanding pads to get a similar reaction without polish. Like if you apply a 3000 or 4000 grit pad to a dull ball, you'll see the ball will shine up and give you a reaction similar to polish.

Chats: 256

You might want to check out Creating the Difference's new polish that is not needed to be used on a spinner. It is meant to be applied by hand and they partnered with Turtle Wax.

https://www.ctdbowling.com/blogs/new...pecific-polish
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Since most of the equipment I have is from Storm/Roto Grip, I've gone with their recommendations for polish (Reacta Shine), scuff and cleaners. I've experimented with the Ebonite Clean n'Sheen and Extender Polish and most recently the Motiv Power Gel Polish.
    Reacta Shine is supposed to give you around 5000 grit finish to give you what Storm calls 1500 grit polished finish. Right on the bottle of the Motiv Power Gel Polish it has a label saying it's 5000 grit and it seems to give a very nice polished appearance. The reaction of the Reacta Shine or Power Gel is just about the same. So my recommendation for you to go with the Motive polish and it's less expensive than the Storm polish. I do everything by hand and tend to use damp old T shirts to get a nice shiny finish. Hope this helps...

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    You might want to check out Creating the Difference's new polish that is not needed to be used on a spinner. It is meant to be applied by hand and they partnered with Turtle Wax.

https://www.ctdbowling.com/blogs/new...pecific-polish
    hmmmm. interesting. I have all of the CTD pads now but one day I did all 4 balls by hand and my shoulder was pretty sore for a few days. Maybe if I only did one at a time....lol. I have shoulder issues but luckily they don't seem to affect my game other than being sore the next day.

As for my current arsenal my PSO hit my Conspiracy with a new 3000 Abralon before he handed it over to me for a nice baseline and I love the shape of it on our THS. He used a spinner wet (no polish on it). The Kingpin is currently 1000 CTD dry no polish and seems good as is but the Black Widow Gold is currently at 3000 CTD dry no polish and it hooks hard, about 2-3 boards more than any other ball I have. That one would probably go back to 1000 polished to get back to OOB, maybe 2000 but I'd have to try it first. That ball rarely comes out of the bag since it hooks so hard. Thought about just trying the 4000 dry with no polish on it to see what that does. My Rhino is at 500 dry unpolished right now. It was polished but it slid a little too much for me so I took the shine off and only use it for the 7 pin and the last 2 weeks I'm 8/9 on 7's so don't want to mess with it. So the only ball I would be polishing would be the BWG.
    I have heard there is a difference between dry sanding and wet sanding. I know the reason my PSO did mine was that he had another Conspiracy on th shelf that was much more dull than mine that was OOB. He said he has been noticing this lately so he hit mine before giving it to me. They were supposed to be the same finish but mine was much more shiny that the one on the shelf. Both were brand new untouched.

Hate the thought of spending $$$ on a spinner but I'm a DIY'er and hate having to rely on (or pay somebody) to do a job I can do myself.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Pin Crusher

I use Motiv polish for the IQ, and Ruff Buff on the SureLock. Both work well. The Motiv stuff is very messy....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just some things to note.

For the most part no one polish/compound is better than the other, their just different and will produce differing results. Which one is best for you, will depend on what your trying to achieve. All the ones mentioned above are good polishes, I've used several of them. (I'm currently using Brunswick Royal Shine:5000 grit and Royal compound:2500 grit.

The final surface a ball has is going to depend on what the base grit (surface texture) was to start with, what compound was used (Because their not all the same) and how it was applied (By hand, spinner, time, pressure used)

All polishes can be used by "hand" (by "hand" meaning you didn't use a spinner to apply it), it's just that the final surface could/will be different than what you could achieve using a spinner. Plus it might take a little longer and/or might not be as consistent etc. as it would if done on a spinner.

If a spinner is too expensive at the moment, you might look at one of the Polish Your Balls "Smart tools" they offer kits for less than a $100.

https://www.polishyourball.com/

As for wet and dry sanding:

This ball was sanded with the same grit, left-dry sanded, right-wet sanded.

Wet sanding produces a more sheen like finish, water acts as a lubricant to a point so the cutting isn't as aggressive.

Also wet sanding helps keep the dust and friction heat down, the water also helps reduce buildup of the cuttings in your pad/paper which let's them cut better and last longer.

Wet sanding is pretty much the standard when using a home spinner.

Dry sanding is a bit more aggressive and will give you a duller surface. But you get more friction which generates more heat and the pad can load up which can reduce the effectiveness of the cutting.

A option is to wet sand first, then take it off (the spinner if used) and then take a dry pad and hand sand it to give it the slightly more aggressive , duller looking surface if that's what you want.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

High Roller

So ordered a spinner yesterday from innovative. its the 1/2 HP version. so we will see...lol
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boatman37 View Post
    So ordered a spinner yesterday from innovative. its the 1/2 HP version. so we will see...lol
    If it's the same spinner I have its a nice piece. It makes keeping my equipment the finish I prefer easy and cleaning is easy too. Steve
    Current arsenal...Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, Hustle PBR, Roto Grip Gem, Idle Helios and Own It Spare. 300 rev rate, 16 mph off hand, 13.3 tilt,61 degrees rotation pap 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up.

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

If a spinner is too expensive at the moment, you might look at one of the Polish Your Balls "Smart tools" they offer kits for less than a $100.
    I have the "Polish your Ball" kit now. Very handy, but comes with a caveat. This takes a LOT of practice to get it right. I wouldn't start with your best piece. Find an old ball and try it out first. I was also not fond of the bearing "spinner" that comes with it. Only about a 4" diameter where the ball rests. Very easy to knock the ball right off if you get a little aggressive. I'm a machinist, so mine went through much modification, and now you'd have to try hard to get a ball to jump out. And to echo Bowl, big difference between wet and dry sanding. I was told never to go at a ball with wetting the pad first. Just my .02.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast