Thread: Newly back to bowling looking for help

Default Newly back to bowling looking for help

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read my post and help me. I'm recently back to bowling after around 9 years and am looking at rebuilding the ball options I use. I went through a pretty comprehensive evaluation at a proshop not far from me that gave me pretty much all the information I need. I'll post them here in case it helps with suggestions:

Right handed
    Rev Rate is 420s
    Ball speed at release is 17
    Axis point is 6 3/16" and 1" up
    Tilt 17 degrees
    Rotation is 70 degrees

I recently purchased a Hammer Black widow legend that's drilled 4x4x2, I purchased a used Roto Grip No Rules but I'm not sure what the drilling is on it, I have a DV8 Outcast that I don't know the drill pattern is but my request on the drilling was for it to hook as little as possible, and lastly I have a Columbia Powerswing which I also don't know the layout used. All my equipment is 15 lb.

When I went to the pro shop looking for a ball and layout for longish oil *have a tournament coming up on Beaten Path* they suggested the Legend and the layout that was put on it. This is also where I got my detailed information about my spin and such. While I really like the way the ball rolls and hooks on a more typical pattern, I got a chance to throw some practice games on the Beaten Path again and the ball seemed to do the same thing as what I already had. I'm completely open to the idea that it's a me problem and not the ball, but I just am curious if anyone has a different take on what would be better for me on a longer pattern with semi-heavy to heavy oil? Outside of that, any general suggestions for a good all around ball that would replace my Powerswing maybe. I tend to prefer more of an arcing style ball as opposed to a skid-snap.

Thanks again!

Chats: 32

Do you have the No Rules Exist which is a solid or the plain No Rules which is a pearl. I would tend to think the No Rules pearl and the Black Widow Legend are pretty close. Both come with a polished surface from the factory. I would suggest changing your surface probably on the Widow to around 2k and try that as the initial ball out of the bag. You need a little more movement later in the set change to the No rules. If you prefer arching type motions in the future look for balls that aren't polished in the future.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

It's the No Rules solid. I had thought about dulling down the cover on that one to see if it would work better on the heavier and longer oil shots. I am having switch grips put in the Powerswing and NoRules right now so I may have them change the surface on it when I pick it up. Also, you suggest polishing the Legend up then as it looks like the oob finish is 1000?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by nwohbowler View Post
    It's the No Rules solid. I had thought about dulling down the cover on that one to see if it would work better on the heavier and longer oil shots. I am having switch grips put in the Powerswing and NoRules right now so I may have them change the surface on it when I pick it up. Also, you suggest polishing the Legend up then as it looks like the oob finish is 1000?
    The original surface on the BW Legend was 500/1000 with polish you should be seeing a different reaction between them as the NO Rules solid had a 2000grit finish on it. If you have the original factory surface on them I'd refresh the surface on the No rules. I might change it to 1500 but beware taking in too much surface as the oil on those flatter patterns tend to break down quickly.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The original surface on the BW Legend was 500/1000 with polish you should be seeing a different reaction between them as the NO Rules solid had a 2000grit finish on it. If you have the original factory surface on them I'd refresh the surface on the No rules. I might change it to 1500 but beware taking in too much surface as the oil on those flatter patterns tend to break down quickly.
    I see, when I bought the No Rules the owner had mentioned that it had been rejuvenated or whatever it's called where they draw the oil out, but the coverstock was definitely not brought back to factory finish. I'll talk to the pro shop owner about addressing that.