Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you know your individual game average?

Aslan: You think it's all about you. It's not! Regardless of how few shots you throw in practice, make sure that you watch where every other bowler on the pair is playing. Once you see that, you can pick your line, and let your chosen line dictate the ball that you start with.

I have access to my league average through League Secretary but that doesn't really tell me much. It would be much more useful if it had shot by shot data.

Outside of league I use 'My Bowling Pro' app to track every shot. The details lead me to believe my variance is mostly due to making/missing spares and/or stringing together strikes. The app gives me a list of every leave and the conversion percent. So at the end of my practice sessions I am working on that 10-pin leave as it is the leave that needs the most work.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    2 shots per side with 15 minutes?? That is crazy. We only get 10 minutes and with 5 man teams, I can easily get 3-4 on each side. Takes a few to just get loosened up a bit.
    I feel like in a previous 5-person league...where most (but not all) of the bowlers warmed up...we got more shots in because each bowler got one shot at a full rack and then it reset to a full rack to the next bowler. In THIS league, if you strike on the first shot, you go to the back of the line...but if you leave a spare, you shoot at the spare. So, depending on how lined up the rest of the bowlers are...kinda determines how many warm-up shots you end up with.

Last night I think I got 7 shots. One was a strike on the first ball. The other 3 times I made a bad shot and followed it up with a good shot (both on the same strike line). My line seemed to be working...based on the 4 "good" shots (of 7). But I certainly didn't have another 72 shots to try my other 3 strike balls on a few different lines...with a couple different hand positions. And I disagree (for the most part) with Rob on what you can get watching other bolwers. Reasoning:

1: You have to find someone with a similar shot (line).
    2: You have to find someone with a similar speed.
    3. You have to find someone with a similar ball.

I bowled against Tom Hess last night. He stood 10 boards left of me, with more speed, and whatever the latest ball on the market is. If I tried that line...I'd throw my ball in the gutter at about the midway point on the lane.

I DO agree with Rob that it is useful to gain knowledge from other bowlers...especially given the lack of practice time...but it's not easy finding someone who throws similar enough to you that you can learn much from their shot. I'm fortunate that I have a guy on my team that throws "similar" to me. He's older, a little slower speed...and a more powerful ball...but we have similar lines and releases...so I can usually watch what he's doing and that helps a little. And I did well at a tournament once by watching the squad before me...looking for that guy that bowled most like me (I even used my timer on my phone to find someone with a similar speed)...and I adjusted my initial line to where he was at...and it helped.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Aslan: You are watching the wrong part of the lane. If Tom Hess was 10 boards left of you, where was his ball at the breakpoint. See that, and figure out how you can get there with your style. Once you see the breakpoint, everything else is easy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123