Thread: Full Roller drill spec - spare ball

Chats: 0

Question Full Roller drill spec - spare ball

My natural style is a full roller and all my equipment is drilled for full roller. Well except maybe not my spare ball. My spare ball is a Storm Clear, the pin and the CG marker are on top of each other and they are centered under my palm. When I roll a spare I get the dreaded thump thump sound going down the lane. I can sometimes see a slight change in the balls line to the pin when it hops over the finger holes. I get a good 7 to 10 boards of movement from the ball so it might well be effecting me.

I don't drill myself, that's above my knowledge level. The pro shop guy seems pretty knowledgeable and he says there isn't a full roller pattern for a spare ball. So I'm asking if anybody knows of one? If there is a spec can you please post it?

If this post is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it where it's better placed.

Thanks in advance
    Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Chats: 0

Having some free time and some interest here (I'm a full roller) I decided to see what I could find via Internet searching... I looked at full roller drill specs of many popular brands (roto grip, brunswick, storm, dv8, wiki, ...) and I found some interesting points of discussion, some minor conflicting info but mostly clear enough that I can draw some conclusions (please correct me if you know I'm wrong here)

ball should have 3" to 4" PIN
    PAP is not used or considered in full roller drill
    Asymmetrical and Symmetrical balls are nearly the same drill
    CG is commonly positioned at mid position on finger center line (on the track)
    PIN at 7 o'clock position to CG gives strongest hook potential (core full potential)
    PIN at 9 o'clock position to CG gives medium hook potential
    PIN at 11 o'clock position to CG gives weak hook potential
    PIN out is generally 3-3/8" from track at 90 deg
    Moving CG up to finger area, keeping 3-3/8" PIN out, gives more mid-lane hook and keeps back end
    pulling PIN in to 1-1/4" from track at 90deg and keeping CG in finger area gives length and back end

Some of the brands/sources give measurements from PIN, rather than from CG, but the math works out to be the same thing. An interesting study on wiki moved the CG right for standard and right & up for aggressive.

I didn't find anything on drilling a spare ball. I guess I can get a weak core pearl and dill it weak _or_ learn how to release a 3/4 roller for my spare.

Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo