Thread: What would you guys add?

Default What would you guys add?

How's it going??!! I'm new here, and just looking for a place to talk Bowling!! I'm going to be doing quite a few Midwest Scratch Bowling Series tournaments this year, and I'm slowly building an arsenal. I have:

Hammer Diesel Torque
    Black Widow Urethane
    RG Idol Pearl(tomorrow)

I did my first singles tournament a couple weeks back, it was a duel pattern 12 game tourney(35 ft & 44 ft), and I averaged 196. I was really proud, since it was the first time I shot a sport pattern in 10 years or so(I'm 31). I'm a high speed, pretty decent rev rate type bowler. Average 213-215 in the two leagues that I'm in!!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by IshmaelMunson View Post
    How's it going??!! I'm new here, and just looking for a place to talk Bowling!! I'm going to be doing quite a few Midwest Scratch Bowling Series tournaments this year, and I'm slowly building an arsenal. I have:

Hammer Diesel Torque
    Black Widow Urethane
    RG Idol Pearl(tomorrow)

I did my first singles tournament a couple weeks back, it was a duel pattern 12 game tourney(35 ft & 44 ft), and I averaged 196. I was really proud, since it was the first time I shot a sport pattern in 10 years or so(I'm 31). I'm a high speed, pretty decent rev rate type bowler. Average 213-215 in the two leagues that I'm in!!
    A true plastic spare ball, i.e. polyester cover stock and an old fashioned pancake weight block. If you’re going to bowl scratch tournaments you CAN NOT afford to miss single pin spares. Going straight at the 4, 6, 7, & 10 pins works on any lane regardless of the oil pattern or the lane topography.
    John

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

After you added the plastic ball for spares I would probably add a solid-asymmetrical ball - something that is going to read early and smooth...but get the plastic ball first.

***Edit - As Rob mentions below asymmetrical equipment should not be qualified as smooth, a better way to word this would be something that is going to read early and "continue" to hook - essentially looking for a reaction opposite of one that would go long down the lane, conserving energy, and snapping late (skid/snap reaction). Wanted to add this here in case someone didn't read further below so that it didn't cause confusion/misinformation
    Last edited by ALazySavage; 03-29-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Wording Error
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Same with everyone else, tbh. A basic plastic for spares is stupid invaluable. Plus its cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    After you added the plastic ball for spares I would probably add a solid-asymmetrical ball - something that is going to read early and smooth...but get the plastic ball first.
    I never thought I'd hear asymmetrical and smooth in the same sentence. Another first today!

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I never thought I'd hear asymmetrical and smooth in the same sentence. Another first today!
    Yeah, continuous was more of the word I was looking for...was poorly and briefly referring more to a drill set up for a more early roll paired with a fair amount of surface (but 100% fair to call that comment out).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Thanks for the responses, Guys! I have the Black Widow Spare ball, just didnt add it!

Bowling Guru

Thanks for the responses, Guys! I have the Black Widow Spare ball, just didnt add it!
    The Black Widow Spare ball, despite the name IS NOT a true spare ball. It has a dynamic core that accentuate any rotation you put on the ball. It is marketed as a spare ball that you can also use for going for strikes when the lanes are very dry. If you are hoping to do well in tournaments on sport conditions you will need to spend a lot of time practicing to roll this thing perfectly straight.
    John

I can flatten my hand!!

Bowling Guru

I can flatten my hand!!
    In that case I wish you the best of luck.
    John