Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sidearm Bowling Technique (the best)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I cannot wait.....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Hello, my very very good friends. I am posting here to tell you that I have captured footage on my telephone. I will try to figure out how to move it to here, yes? Unfortunately, I did not capture speed in the video because the display stopped showing my speeds--however, going off of averages it should be 22-23 mph, despite my wrist. I also need to figure out how to blur out my head... if any of you know how to do these things, please let me know.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by topbowlveryverygood View Post
    Hello, my very very good friends. I am posting here to tell you that I have captured footage on my telephone. I will try to figure out how to move it to here, yes? Unfortunately, I did not capture speed in the video because the display stopped showing my speeds--however, going off of averages it should be 22-23 mph, despite my wrist. I also need to figure out how to blur out my head... if any of you know how to do these things, please let me know.
    If you go to the FAQ page and click on the Board FAQ you should be able to find an explanation of how to post a video file. From what I’ve read it is actually better to post the video to a sharing service and put a link to the video in your post.
    John

Behold. I come to you all today with the next evolution of bowling. A few notes:

-You will notice that my release is only at about a 40 degree angle relative to the ground, rather than a ~90 degree angle expected of a sidearm throw. This is because my wrist hurts too much to throw full sidearm. This also hurts my speed a lot--my fastest balls are thrown full sidearm, but this just was not a possibility for me today.

-As previously noted, the alley stops displaying speeds once you've bowled the ball "too fast." As such, I have no idea how fast this ball was, but going off of averages I'd say low 20s at the pins.

-My attempt to block out my face may slightly affect your ability to see my hand during the upswing... I did the best I could to not obstruct anything though. Also, I'm aware this isn't exactly how these are meant to be filmed, but I did the best I could with the person helping me out.

I hope you all enjoy my video and are inspired to give this very very good technique a shot yourself, especially if you can go for a release near 90 degrees, as it's meant to be. Be sure to post results

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Is it just me or is that just stupid?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

At the point of release, at about 3 seconds, the angle between your body and your arm is more like 30 degrees than the 80 to 90 degrees that a true side arm delivery would be.

A six second video is not enough to truly judge how good this new technique of yours is. I would need to see slow motion of the full approach from both back and side to see what’s really happening, or an unedited video of a full game so we can tell if you are getting the same great pin action on every shot.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    No it's not just you.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I'm well aware that my arm isn't far enough to the side to be "true" sidearm. I even noted that. When my wrist is fully recovered I will make a new video, but trying to release at a 90 degree angle hurts like hell right now.

The pin action is pretty consistent. I also find I get surprisingly few splits even when I get a lot of head pin... don't ask me why. Getting somebody to record an entire game for me would be a bit tough from a logistical standpoint, but I will try to do so whenever my wrist heals.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Well, that's just not nice. As far as I can tell, I am the pioneer of this new technique. I could keep it to myself and steadily improve, but I don't feel that would be fair. I am relatively inexperienced, and so I figured I would share this very very good technique with all of you, since I know most of you are older guys who have been bowling for a long time and could better adapt it than I. I also don't know of any technique that is better for speed than this. With a "normal" motion and release, I average low 20s, but with a healthy wrist and this method I top out around 26 mph, and that's despite not being in impeccable shape or having a huge amount of experience.

If you think it's stupid, I suggest that you give it a shot for yourself, except going for a 90 degree release. Maybe you'll discover something interesting.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I downloaded the video and stepped through, this is not a "very very good technique". It's just someone running up the to the foul line and throwing a 12# ball as hard as they can down the lane.

There is no "sidearm" to it, which there would be no point in rolling a ball sidearm anyway. Your forward swing shown is basically just a regular forward swing, It's just poorly done because Your just arming it down the lane as hard as you can.

There's nothing really special about the backswing either , it's just is just a poorly executed one because you just jerked it back into the backswing to chuck the ball down the lane as hard as you can.

A properly done normal approach and swing, can generate the speeds you got on that straightball you threw. More efficiently and with less wear and tear on your arm.

Now if this system works for you hey fine, it's your arm and wrist. But personally I don't believe you actually bowl this way all the time or with your arm 90 degrees out to the right. (If you do your not taking the game seriously your just fooling around.)

But to anyone reading this thread, this technique isn't something that you should try to emulate.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast