Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sidearm Bowling Technique (the best)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

You want speed here's Osku Palermaa throwing at 31mph using a good swing and approach.

Mind you he doesn't throw that hard all the time, he doesn't need too and most bowlers don't. High Speed isn't the answer to low scoring.

Last edited by bowl1820; 03-31-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You want speed here's Osku Palermaa throwing at 31mph using a good swing and approach.

Mind you he doesn't throw that hard all the time, he doesn't need too and most bowlers don't. High Speed isn't the answer to low scoring.

I'm well aware of Palermaa. His spare ball is an inspiration to me, after all. Forget about traditional analysis of the motion--this is a new paradigm. And besides, how can bowling even claim to be a sport if athleticism isn't rewarded? A 30 mph throw in the pocket should have a higher strike % than a 16 mph throw, but it doesn't. Rewarding accuracy is fine; punishing speed isn't. I go for speed because I care about getting exercise more than I care about my score. Does that make me not a serious bowler? You be the judge. I bowl the way the game should be, not the way it is.

Also, I would throw a heavier ball if I had one. I just don't feel like dropping a cool hundred bucks on a glorified heavy ball. If I got fatter like some league bowlers, I could bowl a house 15 or 16, but right now the smallest size 12 is the largest that fits my hands. Also, you can throw a 16 faster than a 12, so getting a fast speed with a 12 doesn't invalidate the argument--it makes it stronger, in fact.

Think outside of the box, my friend. Join me on my journey to make bowling a real sport, rather than the sport that the kids who were too out of shape to play football played in HS. It's exactly because the pin action is so consistent with a full sidearm release that it is a viable alternative--only accuracy holds us back.

Let us fly, brothers!

Edit: Also, these pro bowlers never measure speed at the pins, anyway. So his 31 at the pins would be a 28, which is close to the fastest I can throw.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by topbowlveryverygood View Post
    !

Edit: Also, these pro bowlers never measure speed at the pins, anyway. So his 31 at the pins would be a 28, which is close to the fastest I can throw.
    If you actually watch that video his speed was measured the same way you got your speed. Using the lanes speed measuring system, which measures at the pins. So his off hand speed was a little bit faster still.

The point here is he's generating speed equal too or greater than you using more proper technique.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-31-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

If you actually watch that video his speed was measured the same way you got your speed. Using the lanes speed measuring system, which measures at the pins. So his off hand speed was a little bit faster still.

The point here is he's generating speed equal too or greater than you using more proper technique.
    It doesn't look like a 53 to me... these things malfunction sometimes, especially at high speeds--I should know. It looks to me like a 35 or similar--right around the highest speed he's actually claimed, and above the highest televised ball he's thrown. I don't even think there's evidence it's humanly possible to throw above 40, let alone 50. Maybe the sidearm technique can reach these highs?

Proper technique isn't everything, especially with this paradigm shift. He's just stronger and more experienced than I am. This technique is still in its infancy and you have only seen a shell of its full form which uses a 90 degree release.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

It doesn't look like a 53 to me... these things malfunction sometimes, especially at high speeds--I should know. It looks to me like a 35 or similar--right around the highest speed he's actually claimed, and above the highest televised ball he's thrown. I don't even think there's evidence it's humanly possible to throw above 40, let alone 50. Maybe the sidearm technique can reach these highs?

Proper technique isn't everything, especially with this paradigm shift. He's just stronger and more experienced than I am. This technique is still in its infancy and you have only seen a shell of its full form which uses a 90 degree release.

That's not 53 MPH on the monitor screen, It's 53 KPH (kilometers per hour). Which is 32 MPH.

Proper technique is everything in every sport.

That's not 53 MPH on the monitor screen, It's 53 KPH (kilometers per hour). Which is 32 MPH.

Proper technique is everything in every sport.
    Makes sense. It also really goes to show how great this new technique is if somebody like me can come within 5 MPH of the world's strongest bowler throwing a devilishly speedy ball with great traditional technique.

Here's my philosophy: I will never be a great bowler no matter what. Nor will anybody reading this thread. Think about how few bowler are truly successful... the odds are against everyone. So what do I do? Do I go out and get lessons and try to mimic what everybody else does? Do I dedicate my life to throwing a ball down a lane in exactly the same manner as the rest? Shall I buy a nice shirt with my favorite brand on it and throw 14 MPH balls while chugging beers at my local league?

No. I will never be like the rest. You may not see what I am doing as serious, but to me, it is the most serious form of bowling ever dreamed up by anyone. That's because I'm innovating. I'm casting aside all known technique and instead going for one that, as far as my searches found, nobody except for one small child has ever done. I thought of this on my own, and struggled immensely to develop it to where it is now. I used to consistently score in the 50-100 range with it when I first adopted it--an absolutely massive and even embarrassing dropoff from where I was before. I had no accuracy and even my speed wasn't great with it. Most people would simply give up at this point. Maybe they could show their friends this funny technique they thought about and everybody could laugh as they sidearmed it into the left gutter. Well, not me. I kept trying. I have honed my skills and now my motion is consistent and I'm even pretty accurate with it and improving all the time.

I will never slip into complacency. I take this extremely seriously. I am forging my own path. Maybe I am not like you all--you guys seem to live for the established technique, and obsess over the details of it. Most of you are likely better bowlers than I am right now, but I have a clear upward trajectory. You guys and 99.9% of bowlers are trying to perfect that which has already been perfected. I am forging new ground and innovating--what would a sport be without innovation? And despite this technique being in the early stages, when I wasn't plagued with my wrist injury I was already throwing above 23 mph consistently, peaking in the mid-high 20s. Can you call what you're doing sport if a morbidly obese middle-aged man can exactly replicate it?

Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

But to anyone reading this thread, this technique isn't something that you should try to emulate.
    In other words, kids, don't try this at home....

While I'll give him that this is unusual, I highly doubt this is the next great thing in bowling. Just looks like a poorly thrown shot.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Makes sense. It also really goes to show how great this new technique is if somebody like me can come within 5 MPH of the world's strongest bowler throwing a devilishly speedy ball with great traditional technique.

Here's my philosophy: I will never be a great bowler no matter what. Nor will anybody reading this thread. Think about how few bowler are truly successful... the odds are against everyone. So what do I do? Do I go out and get lessons and try to mimic what everybody else does? Do I dedicate my life to throwing a ball down a lane in exactly the same manner as the rest? Shall I buy a nice shirt with my favorite brand on it and throw 14 MPH balls while chugging beers at my local league?

No. I will never be like the rest. You may not see what I am doing as serious, but to me, it is the most serious form of bowling ever dreamed up by anyone. That's because I'm innovating. I'm casting aside all known technique and instead going for one that, as far as my searches found, nobody except for one small child has ever done. I thought of this on my own, and struggled immensely to develop it to where it is now. I used to consistently score in the 50-100 range with it when I first adopted it--an absolutely massive and even embarrassing dropoff from where I was before. I had no accuracy and even my speed wasn't great with it. Most people would simply give up at this point. Maybe they could show their friends this funny technique they thought about and everybody could laugh as they sidearmed it into the left gutter. Well, not me. I kept trying. I have honed my skills and now my motion is consistent and I'm even pretty accurate with it and improving all the time.

I will never slip into complacency. I take this extremely seriously. I am forging my own path. Maybe I am not like you all--you guys seem to live for the established technique, and obsess over the details of it. Most of you are likely better bowlers than I am right now, but I have a clear upward trajectory. You guys and 99.9% of bowlers are trying to perfect that which has already been perfected. I am forging new ground and innovating--what would a sport be without innovation? And despite this technique being in the early stages, when I wasn't plagued with my wrist injury I was already throwing above 23 mph consistently, peaking in the mid-high 20s. Can you call what you're doing sport if a morbidly obese middle-aged man can exactly replicate it?

Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?
    Okay, you're trying to come off as though we're going to be talking about this until time ends. I've seen hundreds of unusual styles in 45 years of bowling. From what I saw in your video, yours doesn't come close to some of the weirdest crap I've seen. As far as the rest of us "will never be great bowlers either"? Buddy, I bowl ONCE a week, three games, and I average around 210. When I go to different house during the summer, it pretty much stays there. I may not be a "great" bowler, but I'm pretty damn good.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

"Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?"

It is actually sad that I'm taking time to respond to this. if you believe that putting your shoulder in a compromised position and trying to whip it around your body is a measure of actual exercise I would recommend learning about the basic biomechanics of your shoulder joint and surrounding muscles. While you could potentially consider bowling a light form of exercise that can vary based on how you throw the ball, the act of using bowling as a method of exercise comes with a lot of issues - especially a pronounced muscle imbalance due to one side being dominate over another for a high volume of repetition.

While I still believe this is more of a troll post rather than something serious (and you have three pages of responses so you have succeeded), in the instance this is something serious I just want to make you aware of the danger you are putting your shoulder in.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 1

Can we just re-lock the thread and ban the guy already? He's definitely 2handedsniper 2.0.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast