Thread: Looking for a new ball

Default Looking for a new ball

Hey guys, looking for a new ball, I started out with a 13 in the brunswick vintage inferno and I do pretty decent with it.
    130 is a bad game for me, usually in the 160's with a few 200's lately.

I've improved my throw and know the ball pretty well, and my average ball speed is about 16.8 mph, im a leftie bowling with thumb in ball and get a slight arc into the pins. I'm probably low on revs but would like something with a little more backend action and in the 15lb range. Leaning toward something in a pearl definitely, don't want anything with more mid lane action that what I currently have but would like it to really take off when it hits the dry part of the lane.

The local pro shop has a DV8 Grudge pearl and a Radical Conspiracy Pearl that I was thinking about trying does anyone have any input or a recommendation on a ball with a bit more action on the back end? (or is it just my technique and I should work on getting more revs?)

Regardless I do want a heavier ball throwing this 13 lb ball now that i'm comfortable with it is really easy to get into the 20mph's

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by dniym View Post
    Hey guys, looking for a new ball, I started out with a 13 in the brunswick vintage inferno and I do pretty decent with it.
    130 is a bad game for me, usually in the 160's with a few 200's lately.

I've improved my throw and know the ball pretty well, and my average ball speed is about 16.8 mph, im a leftie bowling with thumb in ball and get a slight arc into the pins. I'm probably low on revs but would like something with a little more backend action and in the 15lb range. Leaning toward something in a pearl definitely, don't want anything with more mid lane action that what I currently have but would like it to really take off when it hits the dry part of the lane.

The local pro shop has a DV8 Grudge pearl and a Radical Conspiracy Pearl that I was thinking about trying does anyone have any input or a recommendation on a ball with a bit more action on the back end? (or is it just my technique and I should work on getting more revs?)

Regardless I do want a heavier ball throwing this 13 lb ball now that i'm comfortable with it is really easy to get into the 20mph's
    Your local pro should be to figure out what weight ball you should be throwing. Otherwise the general rule is that you can go one pound heavier with a custom drilled ball than the heaviest house ball that you can throw comfortably.

Generally speaking, for a newbie, your money is better spent on lessons and practice sessions than building an arsenal of bowling balls.
    John

I mean.. my pro shop is the one who suggested I move to a 15. I haven’t thrown a house ball in quite a while now, but a 15 lb house ball could be thrown all night comfortably.

I already have a custom drilled ball and can pretty consistently hit the pocket and pick up my spares. The theory behind the 15lb is to get more power down the lanes at the pin impact.

Bowling Guru

I mean.. my pro shop is the one who suggested I move to a 15. I haven’t thrown a house ball in quite a while now, but a 15 lb house ball could be thrown all night comfortably.

I already have a custom drilled ball and can pretty consistently hit the pocket and pick up my spares. The theory behind the 15lb is to get more power down the lanes at the pin impact.
    Okay, so in theory you could probably go all the way up to 16#, except that proshops don’t stock many balls in 16#.

My suggestions would be, assuming your buget allows:
    1. Get a 15# spare ball. The more aggressive your strike ball is, the harder it becomes to make corner pins with.
    2. Get a 15# reactive resin ball that matches up well with the lane conditions you most often bowl on. Your local pro should be able to give you some good advice.
    3. Get rid of the 13# ball. Do not keep it as a spare ball, or for really dry lanes. You should not be switching back and forth between balls that differ by three pounds.
    John

Thanks, I do agree about swapping with a 3 lb ball difference I really don't see much point in doing that. I'll probably pass the 13# over to the kiddo, shes already throwing a 13 lb house ball

J Anderson is exactly right! Unless you really think that you can compete on the PBA Tour (odds are greatly against you), stick with 15 lb balls. Don't switch off between weights, ever... the only thing that coaches and pho's agree on. You are just starting out. You'll get some good advice here, and some not so good. Don't worry about buying balls, worry about buying lessons from a qualified coach (someone who has actually been trained, not just someone with a high average).

Yeah... that's kinda the point of the thread.. I'm currently throwing a 13 lb ball and would like to upgrade to a 15 lb, thus I'm trying to decide on which 15 lb ball to buy. I was asking about two specific balls that are in stock at my local pro shop.

The two balls that I have been looking at are:

DV8 Grudge Pearl
    Radical Conspiracy Pearl

Was looking for someone with some experience with either of these balls that MIGHT have also thrown the brunswick inferno (which is what I currently have but in 13 lb) I suppose just a neutral opinion from people who were not trying to sell me a bowling ball or push me toward a specific brand because they're sponsored by them etc (which is what the guy in the pro shop has going on).

Bowling Guru

Yeah... that's kinda the point of the thread.. I'm currently throwing a 13 lb ball and would like to upgrade to a 15 lb, thus I'm trying to decide on which 15 lb ball to buy. I was asking about two specific balls that are in stock at my local pro shop.

The two balls that I have been looking at are:

DV8 Grudge Pearl
    Radical Conspiracy Pearl

Was looking for someone with some experience with either of these balls that MIGHT have also thrown the brunswick inferno (which is what I currently have but in 13 lb) I suppose just a neutral opinion from people who were not trying to sell me a bowling ball or push me toward a specific brand because they're sponsored by them etc (which is what the guy in the pro shop has going on).
    Unfortunately, I haven’t thrown either ball. Hopefully someone who has a similar delivery to yours and who has used these on conditions similar to the ones you bowl on will reply.

Many times bowlers will have completely different opinions about the same ball. I liked the Storm Virtual Gravity Nano so much that I had one for each hand. My friend Lou had one and called it either the worst ball Storm ever made, or the worst ball he ever owned. It may be his wasn’t laid out right for him, or maybe it just didn’t match up well with the lane condition. Whatever the reason it was a lousy ball for him and a good one for me.

I hope you get enough feedback to make a good decision.
    John