Thread: Tropical Surge

Chats: 0

Cool Tropical Surge

I know it's not quite out yet, but somebody at Storm has had enough time to have drilled and rolled one.

I have the cover stock (Tropical Breeze Pearl Blue/Teal) and I really like it for bone dry conditions... what I have just needs a bit more curve from the core. Now Storm added a bit more shape to the core... I'd love to get my fingers on one of these!

Any word on dates? Can I pre-order one?

Brad
    Recently retired and returning to bowing after a 12 year break
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

Chats: 221
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Release date is May 3rd
    Thanks for the date. I just noticed that the different cover stocks are more than just different colors. The Blue/Teal (like what I have) is a normal pearl and the black/copper (that you sent pdf on) is a hybrid solid/pearl.

I've never rolled a hybrid before. I have several pearls and several solid reactive as well. So I'm guessing the action would be someplace inbetween a solid reactive and a pearl reactive (if that makes sense).

Brad
    Slower ball speed with dominate revs, prefer strait at the pocket but deep is fine too
    In my bag... Storm Phase 3, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Storm IQ Tour Emerald, 900 Global White Hot Badger, Motiv Venom Recoil, and Motiv Supra Enzo

I kept looking at the Surge specs and kept thinking this will be a great ball for me when the 3rd game lane conditions goes bone dry... So today I ordered one, I got the hybrid reactive black solid with copper pearl. I like the looks of the black/cherry as well but the coin toss came up copper.

Brad
    Last edited by six6guy; 05-08-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spell check

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    I kept looking at the Surge specs and kept thinking this will be a great ball for me when the 3rd game lane conditions goes bone dry... So today I ordered one, I got the hybrid reactive black solid with copper pearl. I like the looks of the black/cherry as well but the coin toss came up copper.

Brad
    I haven't seen anyone rolling it yet let us know what you think. My wife started out with a tropical storm and really liked it
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

This ball is also poured by another company so you may see some differences there too.

Chats: 221

If tis one is poured by 900 Global you shouldn't see much of a difference as they have been pouring Storm's lower end stuff for quite a number of years
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 32

If tis one is poured by 900 Global you shouldn't see much of a difference as they have been pouring Storm's lower end stuff for quite a number of years
    Actually from what I'm hearing Brunswick is pouring this one for them. 900 global usually does
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

It’s being poured in Mexico

Correct this one is from Brunswick Mexico...

I got the hybrid black/copper last Friday, had it drilled Tuesday, and rolled it last night (just 3 games with OOB surface). I had a full roller dill for max mid lane and strong back ends (CG at mid T, and pin at 7:30 o'clock). I rolled on the house shot which is pretty dry outside of 10 or past 45 foot. The deeper you go inside of 12 the more oil you start with. With 5 man teams this house shot goes pretty dry by end of 3rd game.

The cover stock had more grab than I originally figured it would have but the core was _very_ controllable. Maybe my higher rev rate was a factor here. If I went outside too much and rolled strait up 5 board it came to the pocket nice but then grabbed just before the deck and split the rack leaving 10s and 6-10s almost every time. Strait up 10 board left occasional 10s. Up 15 board (a little slower with more hook) usually hit the pocket nice and occasionally drove heavy. It wanted a light oil condition but not completely dry. The sweet spot (for me) seemed to be standing 30 board and shooting 16 board. If I went too deep it washed badly (as you would expect with a light Diff core).

The back end was smooth, not a angular snap but more a gradual drive. The cover stock is a hybrid solid/pearl but it acted more like a true pearl (snap at the deck when dry). I will probably really get to like this ball if I bowl with it pretty regular. I have another great ball for dry lane conditions so I'm yet to figure out how they each will offer what to my game.

Brad